Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Events, Happenings and Media
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
Unread 18-05-2006, 15:57   #1
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Default Ryder Cup Train Services

Very werid press release from IE today
http://www.irishrail.ie/news_centre/...ew&news_id=149
Quote:
19th to 24th September 2006

Fast, easy and convenient - Dublin City Centre to the K Club in just 45 minutes! Relax & enjoy your day by leaving your car at home and availing of public transport for only €20.00 Return (includes shuttle bus service between Leixlip and the K Club).

Trains depart Connolly Station, Amiens Street, Dublin from 05.45 hrs and at approximately 30 minute intervals thereafter. Pre-book a specific outbound train and return on any train that evening. Click here to book.
There are infact extra trains running early morning, probably provided by splitting the 8 coach trains in 2

Seems to be a total rip off considering the return fare to Lousia Bridge is only €3.50, €16.50 for a return bus trip of what 25 miles ? Wouldn't you be better off running from Sallins ?

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 18-05-2006 at 16:04.
Unread 18-05-2006, 16:05   #2
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

Hmmm, Maynooth is actually closer to the K club ( no more than 10 mins ) but I guess they want to give the perception of not ripping the punters off by having a shorter bus trip.
€20 return good to see IE cashing in on the rip-off culture surrounding the Ryder cup.
Unread 18-05-2006, 16:08   #3
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

I think its crazy, come on I can get to Cork for what on the bus?

IE could make a fortune considering the trains are running anyway its a no lose scenario and you really want to keep off the M50 at all costs
Unread 18-05-2006, 16:41   #4
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

BE have the (official) contract I think to ferry people to and from the city centre and K club.
I wonder how much they are charging?
Now that I think Of Leixlip makes a bit more sense. Maynooth is closer but Louisa Bridge to Celbridge West interchange, M4 then Off K Club side at Maynooth interchange would avoid a lot of traffic and lights. Wish them luck on the R406 at Barberstown cross. The traffic trying to get into Straffan will be chronic.
Unread 18-05-2006, 16:54   #5
comcor
Really Regular Poster

Location: Cork-Dublin, Cork Commuter and occasionally DART and Dublin-Wexford

That level of pricing is prohibitive. They'd be better off keeping the fares down and trying to attract more people.

I used the train when the Irish Open was in Fota (and I believe I was joined by about 16,000 people on the busiest days). Fortunately, as the existing station is a very short walk from the golf course, they were just charging the standard price to get from Cork to Fota. So, they were laying on extra trains to the point of there being a 15-20 minute frequency at the busiest times. I wonder how many would have used the service if they'd been charging €20 for the trip.
Unread 18-05-2006, 21:34   #6
Derek Wheeler

Sallins and Maynooth are actually the closest as the crow flies. Lets disect how IE worked this out.

Sallins.

Carparks are full to the rafters mon-fri. Coach access to these carparks is practically impossible. It requires some tricky and even dangerous driving. The road route to the K-Club for a coach would have to be via Clane ring road, 10 mins tops without traffic.A coach would be too small for the many other roads that get you there quicker. I also heard that these will be restricted to residents only. I assume that IE didn't pick Sallins due to the old "capacity" issue and conflicts with existing services and maybe the carpark issue.

Maynooth.

I'm at a loss as to why they didn't go for this. It can handle coaches really well as it has done many times due to engineering works between there and Connolly. Reletively clean run to Barberstown cross after some lights in Maynooth area. I drive it regularly. Without Ryder Cup mayhem, 10 mins.
This would have been my choice.

Leixlip Louisa Bridge.

Hmmmm.....furthest from the course for sure. MarkH is spot on about the bus route to the K-Club. But as I type and think, Im at a loss as to why they chose it. Only reason I can think off is advice from the Gardai re traffic arrangements and not clogging up Maynooth station area.

In any case, its going to be hell on the roads in the area. The European open causes chaos and that only attracts a fraction of the crowd that will attend the Ryder Cup.

As for the fare.....now thats one for Eddie Hobbs!

Last edited by Derek Wheeler : 18-05-2006 at 21:37.
Unread 19-05-2006, 07:15   #7
turnapin

Maynooth was difficult enough when used for bus transfers on the Sligo line. Coaches have to block the entire bridge, before reversing down the slip to the station.
Unread 19-05-2006, 08:50   #8
CSL

Don't fret guys, those going to the Ryder Cup have plenty of cash.
Unread 19-05-2006, 10:42   #9
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

note that IE say these specials are going from connolly, which would tend to suggest they are goint to Maynooth.

Maybe they are going through that aul works tunnel they have somewhere.

Anyway, where are they finding these slots in Connolly, if its so overcrowded?

As for access Maynooth has to be number one, though I'm surprised no-one has thought of Hazlehatch, which is as near once you get past the left hand turn into Celbridge. Loads of room for coaches (and feeder bus drivers who never turn up) in the station car park.
Unread 19-05-2006, 10:57   #10
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

No extra trains actually bar two really early morning ones around 6:30, they are simply splitting the train sets down to 4 coaches and reattach in Maynooth. The extra trains are going with fewer stops

Sallins or the Hatch would be equally good but the service frequency is **** and its Heuston
Unread 19-05-2006, 22:22   #11
craigybagel
Regular Poster

Wont that need double the drivers?They got enough for that even when theyre not on strike over the wrong tea bags or whatever it is this week.........
Closed Thread