Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Kerry
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 15-02-2008, 16:18   #1
Jferb

Default Apartheid alive and well on the Kerry line..

I took the 13:15 from Tralee to Dublin (change at Mallow) today 2 weeks ago (it's a service I use regularly on different days of the week). Our tin can was 30 minutes late arriving in Mallow (apparently due to brake trouble) and low-and-behold, the connecting train from Cork had left without us!

God forbid that the Cork train would be delayed by 20 minutes (we should arrive in Mallow 10 minutes before the Cork train), so instead it was allowed depart on time, and we were subjected to an additional, unnecessary 40 minute delay.

So, an hour later than timetabled, onto the next Cork train! And as if that would be the end of it too! That train stuttered into Heuston an additional 35 minutes late (without explanation!). So instead of arriving in Heuston at 17:15, we ended up arriving at nearly 18:50!!

So, my question is, is there an official IE policy regarding timetabled connections and what happens if one of the connecting trains runs late? I've been late arriving in Mallow many a time before, but never had the experience of the connecting train leaving without us! I think it's grossly unfair that we should be further inconvenienced for the benefit of not disrupting Cork passengers.

To be fair, I will mention 2 redeeming facts on IE's behalf! Firstly, they were quick to hand out refund forms to everyone. In the past, I've had to go hunting for them myself. Secondly, everyone was offered free refreshments in the cafe in Mallow Station..

Last edited by Jferb : 15-02-2008 at 16:21.
Jferb is offline   Reply With Quote