Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Longford-Maynooth-Dunboyne-Clonsilla-Dublin line
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-02-2008, 11:35   #1
Thomas the Tank
New to the board

Default Doors opened before Connolly station

Hi all,

I was on the Maynooth (Longford??) train ex Coolmine at 8.17 this morning, which was pretty crowded in the carriage I was in but less so than normal I thought. Anyway just after leaving Drumcondra another poor girl passed out -I say another because my work colleague and I get the same train and have a story about a fainting girl about once every fortnight-3 weeks!
Anyway the train stopped up for about a minute between Drumcondra and Connolly and the beeping noise came on overhead the door to signify that the doors could be opened! Because everyone was so concerned about the girl that had fainted and because the windows were all steamed up and we couldn't see exactly where we were a guy pushed the exit button to open the door to let some air in and it was only then everyone realised that we weren't even near Connolly! A lot of people got a shock by that because normally bodies are squashed right up against the door and if that had been the case this morning there could have been a very unfortunate incident. We were wondering if maybe the train driver had seen the girl faint on the cctv and wanted us to open the door to get air on or something???! That doesn't sound right either though...
Thomas the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2008, 11:42   #2
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

I was on that train too, I can't verify the doors opening story as i had my headphones on and was seated well away from the doors.
If true though, this is a serious safety incident.

I wonder if the girl fainting was the cause of the massive delay in Connolly for this train, by my reckoning we were 15 mins waiting to move in Connolly.
Mark Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2008, 11:49   #3
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Firstly you need to ring the N&E office in Connolly 01 703 2601

State clearly the facts, clearly state the train you where on (7:58 Maynooth Bray), which coach either the actual number or the position as in 6th of 8

The train has a black box and CCTV so it is all caught but needs to be pulled by days end. Last time we had an incident like this outside Pearse with a 2700 set the train was pulled from service for investigation, train was in motion when it happened.

The blackbox will record the exact reason why the doors opened, the driver has to push two separate buttons together, so its either door released, or loss of interlock (technical fault)

Under the EU rules I'd call this a 19-2 incident, something potentially dangerous which could have resulted in loss of life, the RSC's equivlent in the UK has investigated door opening incidents. The rules are very simple, you never open the doors between stations unless you need to evacutate the train as a last resort

You should report this to the RSC if IE give you the run around, the CCTV will be very useful, if you email the rsc you can expect a reply within minutes confirming receipt

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 12-02-2008 at 11:53.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2008, 11:57   #4
Thomas the Tank
New to the board

Really? I got off in Connolly so didn't see what happened next. I hope she's ok. Very distressing thing to happen, but I have to say the people around her were really great and did all they could to look after her so well done to them. I must reiterate that the door didn't fly open itself, rather the mechanism (or whatever you'd call it!) to open the doors became activated and as I said a man beside the button opened the door not realising that we weren't at Connolly yet.

I saw on the posts regarding the Mullingar trains that the passengers have complained several times about the lack of heat on the trains. I can totally understand this in the height of winter when you hop on an empty train and see where they're coming from, but by the time I get on at Coolmine the train is already roasting and becomes totally unbearable after that due to the overcrowding. You ask someone to open a window and invariably it's locked. This is only in winter time when yeah it may be freezing outside but on the train is a different story. This is why so many people are fainting and as was said yesterday I think, safety in my book doesn't only relate to how many times trains derail or crash. I think at the very least a train should be safe enough so that you can breath on it!
Unread 12-02-2008, 11:58   #5
Thomas the Tank
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Firstly you need to ring the N&E office in Connolly 01 703 2601

State clearly the facts, clearly state the train you where on (7:58 Maynooth Bray), which coach either the actual number or the position as in 6th of 8

The train has a black box and CCTV so it is all caught but needs to be pulled by days end. Last time we had an incident like this outside Pearse with a 2700 set the train was pulled from service for investigation, train was in motion when it happened.

The blackbox will record the exact reason why the doors opened, the driver has to push two separate buttons together, so its either door released, or loss of interlock (technical fault)

Under the EU rules I'd call this a 19-2 incident, something potentially dangerous which could have resulted in loss of life, the RSC's equivlent in the UK has investigated door opening incidents. The rules are very simple, you never open the doors between stations unless you need to evacutate the train as a last resort

You should report this to the RSC if IE give you the run around, the CCTV will be very useful, if you email the rsc you can expect a reply within minutes confirming receipt
No probs, thanks for the info. Will get onto that now.
Unread 12-02-2008, 12:08   #6
ThomasJ

A bit of a relief that it was mid-term break this week for most. Occasionally I get that train and like all other peak-hour maynooth trains it is always uncomfortable and on occassionally dangerous. If it had've been normal crush-loads something serious could have happened.

Its also a relief that people realised they weren't anywhere near the station if not something serious could've happened.

Any idea Thomasthetank whereabout this happened and which side did the doors open, how long was the option to open for?

Last edited by ThomasJ : 12-02-2008 at 12:27.
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2008, 12:27   #7
Thomas the Tank
New to the board

Righteo, just rang that number there and reported the incident. Was talking to a very nice guy who said he was going to look into it straight away, make some enquries at the yard etc and see what happened. I also mentioned the heat thing but he said they've had a lot of complaints about the heating on those trains and also said it's an argument they can't seem to win cos loads of people ring up complaining about the cold and then loads others ring up complaning about the heat! What can they do in fairness though it don't help me

Just saw your post there Thomas J. The train was stopped on that little bridge between Drumcondra and Connolly when the incident happened - just after Croke Park. The door opened up on bridge rail side, thankfully not the side that an opposing train could have been coming from! My worst fear that when I'm squashed against a door, I always think about the door opening up and me flying out into the path of an oncoming train!!

Last edited by Thomas the Tank : 12-02-2008 at 12:30.
Unread 12-02-2008, 21:15   #8
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas the Tank View Post
My worst fear that when I'm squashed against a door, I always think about the door opening up and me flying out into the path of an oncoming train!!
Well I can cleary say that I will never lean against the train doors...........

Luckly the people onboard were smart enough to cop the train was not at a station.........That piece you mentioned after croke park the doors were able to open that is a fair drop down on that bankment...
KSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-02-2008, 14:04   #9
Terrontress
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSW View Post
Sometimes you're lucky to be squashed against the train doors.

I saw it this morning at Howth Junction. The doors would not close because of a man trying to get on obstructing them. He pushed in a bit, against the other passengers and then, because the doors were now closed, he was able to lean back.

It's quite often a choice of get rammed against the doors or else wait another 40 minutes for the next train.
Terrontress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-02-2008, 14:29   #10
ThomasJ

Quote:
Keith tbh that option isn't available to often it's either squash up against the door or don't get on the train get on a later one and its either that you have no choice based on your work pattern or you're only going to be crushed against the door on the later train.

The morning of the opening of Phoenix park station I got on the train. There was another guy, newstalk reporter I think and when I got on that train it was a nightmare, I had to crush up against the door and I'm sure it was the same for the newstalk reporter. It is the norm with Maynooth trains upto and including the 08.40 ex maynooth.

There is little option but to do this.

Last edited by ThomasJ : 13-02-2008 at 14:32.
Unread 13-02-2008, 14:34   #11
KSW
Really Regular Poster

R.E The only option is to lean against the doors I'm just saying once they dont flippin open........
Unread 13-02-2008, 14:37   #12
ThomasJ

Quote:
R.E The only option is to lean against the doors I'm just saying once they dont flippin open........
The problem is as outlined above the passengers weren't aware of the location and with the girl fainting they opened the doors. In those trains windows don't work properly and air conditioning porbably wasn't working. what else could they do. At least once the doors opened they realised they were nowhere near the station and closed them again.

Quote:
Anyway the train stopped up for about a minute between Drumcondra and Connolly and the beeping noise came on overhead the door to signify that the doors could be opened! Because everyone was so concerned about the girl that had fainted and because the windows were all steamed up and we couldn't see exactly where we were a guy pushed the exit button to open the door to let some air in and it was only then everyone realised that we weren't even near Connolly!

Last edited by ThomasJ : 13-02-2008 at 14:41.
Unread 13-02-2008, 14:44   #13
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Guys your all picking me up wrong, Once the doors dont open when the train is in motion due to a techinal fault those passengers has the option to open the door when the light showed to open if the doors just flew open thats what I mean!! Maybe the train driver saw this on CCTV and pressed the door option but I would think he would have came over the intercom to announce this for safty reasons not to step of the train as we are not at a station.
Unread 13-02-2008, 14:51   #14
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

If someone was leaning against the button it could pop open

Of course think of the blind person scenario
Unread 13-02-2008, 14:55   #15
ThomasJ

Would there be any chance of finding out the conclusion to this when it is reached, It worth knowing what happened here so lessons can be learned.

If it was a case of the driver opening the doors to give them air what is clear that there was no audio announcement (that passengers were aware of) or one that was inaudible.

I'd be interested to know was it just that door or did they all open?

Last edited by ThomasJ : 13-02-2008 at 15:04.
Unread 13-02-2008, 14:58   #16
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasJ View Post
I'd be interested to know was it just that door or did they all open?
Those 29k trains do not have selective door opening
Unread 13-02-2008, 15:01   #17
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The 29k has a standard door control system, if the driver pushes the button, every door is unlocked

The RSC will write back with the outcome of any inquiries they make
Unread 25-02-2008, 16:00   #18
jen08
New to the board

Hi all,

I was on the train that morning as well and realised what had happened. I couldn't see the incident Thomas the Tank was talking about as I was sitting down. I was in the 2nd carriage from the front, and could see that we were still outside Connolly station, so was pretty shocked when I heard the doors opening. I know how pakced the trains are in the mornings so was worried that someone would lose their balance or be accidentally be pushed out. I did mean to find out where I could call to report it or complain but it completely slipped my mind.
jen08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-02-2008, 16:33   #19
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Great to get a second post confirming the incident.

The Railway Safety Commission do read this forum, we are fairly sure of that.

Through pure luck another potentially horrendous incident was avoided.

Safety is the key concern of everyone and every incident should be reported where possible, leasons are learned from mistakes.

As the tag line goes, we are standing on the platform next to you, 3 separate posters on the forum where on the train