Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Events, Happenings and Media
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
Unread 27-09-2007, 09:45   #21
Jimbo
New to the board

Any more questions or rediculous ill informed opinions that serve to undermine the integrity of basic customer service? - DW

Is that aimed at me?

I think you should listen to the interview again. Your view of Barry Kenny has obviously dulled your listening skills, neither Matt nor the MP made any of the points Mark made above the most relevant of which would be an independent body who can fine IE. Why isn't a representative from P11 not engaging on the radio with Barry Kenny? Every time I hear him his debating skills murder the opposing side.
What customer feedback have you done? I would contend that any communting for any length of time would know about the refund system.
You still haven't explained why they would advertise this? Can you name other service organisations who advertise refunds if their product fails?
Unread 27-09-2007, 10:14   #22
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Today FM select who goes on air not us, in this case they choose the MEP who actually voted on the regulation,
Irish Rail on occasion refuse to discuss on air with certain people, it has happened
Last word is not a phone in

I'd say in 50% of the time Barry gets on the air, we are there as well, off the top of my head I have recordings of us vs IE spokespeople (IE have two)

July 9th Newstalk
June 28th Today FM
April 12th RTE Radio 1
March 20th Today FM
Jan 9th Today FM

Most are available http://www.platform11.org/podcasts/ I'd give good odds we will be on the radio on Monday evening as well for another reason

Several of those Barry is forced into a corner, remember IE have a massive coverup operation to hide there flaws and always have some excuse. We have the knowledge to overcome this but as was shown on Tuesday your average irish politican hasn't a clue, though he was damn right IE hide the information

There will be a legal requirement to provide the information under the regulation, its buried in Annex 2, http://forum.platform11.org/attachme...3&d=1190795040 There is a list of things which must be provided before the journey commences

By not telling passengers of a right to a refund when the delay occurs IE will have committed an offence, by failing to issue the refund with a month, again an offence, by refusing to refund in cash (as currently done) offence, refusing to refund monthly holders for poor service, again offence. Failure to provide information on the carriage of bikes, wheelchairs at the time of inquiry online, again offence. The list goes on
Unread 27-09-2007, 11:49   #23
packetswitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
You still haven't explained why they would advertise this? Can you name other service organisations who advertise refunds if their product fails?
It's far from unusual in the history of 20th century consumer law to require things like display of warnings, supply of information on either statutory rights or non-statutory guarantees, requirements for disclaimers, requirements for affirmative waivers, requirements for non-derogable duties of care, requirements for cooling-off periods....

Banks are required to provide certain information to customers and are of course banned from making certain claims (hence 'investments may fall as well as rise' which is only there because of legal requirements).
Airlines are required to provide information at various locations for the EU passenger rights
Many other providers offer 'money back guarantees' as an additional element without legal compulsion.
Many sectors require the cooling-off period to be communicated to the customer.

There's nothing new here - everything in the European proposal is based on accepted parts of the consumer law acquis and railways aren't getting some unfair bizarre system...

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 27-09-2007 at 12:01. Reason: fixed quote
Closed Thread