Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Up To Date Travel Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
Unread 02-10-2006, 08:14   #1
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Default [2-10-2006] All services into Heuston

Looks like fun and games this morning

Quote:

Intercity and Commuter services travelling to Heuston Station this morning face significant delays of up to 60 minutes, due to a locomotive fault on the 06.30hrs service from Carlow to Heuston, which occurred between Newbridge and Sallins.

Services affected are:

06.30hrs Carlow to Heuston

06.45hrs Portlaoise to Heuston

07.30hrs Newbridge to Heuston

05.30hrs Galway to Heuston

07.15hrs Portlaoise to Heuston

05.30hrs Cork to Heuston

06.05hrs Waterford to Heuston

07.41hrs Portlaoise to Heuston

06.45hrs Limerick to Heuston

08.40hrs Kildare to Heuston

Iarnród Éireann apologises to customers for the inconvenience caused.
Note its all IE's fault thus refunds apply, even if you have a annual ticket just for the sake of screwing IE up and putting them under pressure fill in the form http://www.platform11.org/passenger_...ty_heuston.pdf

Admittedly its been 4 weeks since I sent a refund request in I'm still waiting

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 02-10-2006 at 08:19.
Unread 02-10-2006, 08:48   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The list is growing

07.00hrs Cork to Heuston
07.30hrs Waterford to Heuston
07.45hrs Limerick to Heuston

The 9:50 Heuston Limerick is likely to be delayed also as 9:10 to Galway, 9:30 to Waterford
Unread 02-10-2006, 09:17   #3
Garrett Cummins
New to the board

06.45 from Prtlaosie arrived at 09.30! Text service appears to have worked received three from Irish Rail at reasonable intervals. Also Irish Rail staff greeted us ay the platform with claim forms!! Again though the issue is the length of time it took to make the decision!
Unread 02-10-2006, 10:21   #4
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Well looking at this the was a quick fix on the ground

The Carlow train died between Newbridge and Sallins, there is provision in the system which would allow a Dublin bound train to use the wrong track to Sallins thus working around the failed train, by using the Cork platform at Newbridge there ain't much heading out of Heuston at that time so it could be done. Its done fairly regularly in the DART area

Whats the bets yet another incident yet another train crew not trained in the use of the ground frame in Sallins?

Be warned I've been waiting 4 weeks for my refund after the farce on Sept 2, even know exactly what broke but still waiting on the refund
Unread 02-10-2006, 10:54   #5
ACustomer
Really Regular Poster

While there is (or was) a crossover South of Newbridge station whihch would allow Up trains to use the Down platform, there is no provision for that train to continue to Salins on the Down line (i.e there is no bi-directnioal signalling). Dart line form Howth Jcn to Merrion is fully bi-directional, and therefore compeltely different. There was no simple quick fix to this morning's problem. Wrong-road working would have required pilotmen or whatever the equivalent is in CTC-land.

Not saying that Irish Rail are blameless, but just that the wrong-line option was not instantly available.
Unread 02-10-2006, 11:16   #6
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

There is a starting signal at the Dublin end of the Cork platform in Newbridge, thus its allowed. There is provision in the rule book for this banalised operation (same as Merrion Dalkey, Clonsilla Glasnevin), its done daily between Port Laois and Ballybrophy for example, actually right this minute

The system has great flexibilty in it only if it is used
Unread 02-10-2006, 12:06   #7
Philly
Regular Poster

When I got to Heuston today (40 mins late), there were two men standing on the platform handing out refund application forms, so fair play to IE, they didn't have to make it so obvious that refunds were due but they did. Credit where credit is due.

The was chaos at Newbridge. The MK4 pulled over on the platform and everybody tried to get on! They weren't allowed of course. There was a queue of trains. Whenever one got to the platform there was another waiting at the bridge for it's turn! Madness.
Unread 02-10-2006, 14:23   #8
sandraoh
Regular Poster

7:24 from Portlaoise supposed to get in at 8:30 - got in at 10:10 but they did hand out refund thingys on platform
Unread 02-10-2006, 17:11   #9
Oisin88

The 07:10 Heuston to Galway was stopped for 30 minutes somewhere between Sallins and Newbridge. It was already 10 minutes late leaving Heuston due to some sort of electrical fault with the doors so you'd have to presume that the 07:30 Heuston to Waterford and maybe even the 07:45 to Kildare must have been delayed too.

We were probably sitting in the way of whoever might have wanted to use the wrong way line to pass the broken down train. But why were we being held up??? They told us it was locomotive failure so I presumed it was the 07:00 to Cork that would have been in front of us?
Unread 03-10-2006, 17:55   #10
Philly
Regular Poster

Thumbs up

Just to say fair play to IE for being customer focused on yesterdays delays. I was impressed that they had two people handing out discount application forms yesterday as trains arrived late - something they aren't obliged to do. Today, on the long trek to Platform 1 to catch the 17.18, I was surprised to see a large notice strategically placed on the commuter platform. The notice apologised for the delays, explained the delays, informed people that they were entitled to a refund and asked them to collect a discount form if they hadn't been given one. The notice also promised that the cause of the break down was being looked into.

IE get a lot of stick over not communicating effectively, and digging their heads in the sand when they are at fault for something. Crdit is due in this case, however. Hopefully this sort of customer-focused attitude is going to continue and flourish.
Unread 03-10-2006, 18:04   #11
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

We know the manager in charge and to be fair he is far more in tune with passenger, still though the web information was not very good, I keep banging on about the fact every notice should have a time on it

Its being looked at == yes we screwed up

You don't get this over in Connolly
Unread 03-10-2006, 18:21   #12
Philly
Regular Poster

Up to date information on delays on the internet isn't really much help when you are stranded on a platform - inless of course IE's site is WAP accessible?

The text messages would be useful, assuming they are free. Otherwise - no thanks. Why should somebody have to pay to find out their train is late?! I'm assuming they'll be free if they are fully introduced in the future.

The best way to deal with problems is by consistent and relevant announcements in all stations. When there is a large problem effecting more than a train or two, put it up on the net. Web info would be particularly useful from 4-6pm, as workers and college students could check the site to see if they'll be getting home on time. However, I doubt too many people would turn on their PCs early in the morning to see if their train into Dublin will be on time. Aparantly it's been proven by some American Uni that people aren't in the mood for computers in the mornings anyway
Unread 04-10-2006, 08:47   #13
Garrett Cummins
New to the board

Apparantly the server to issue the texts for Mondays debacle was also down! Hence why no texts were issued.

However take this morning the 0801 from Newbridge did not arrive in N'Bridge until 0828! No announcements were made. I asked the ticket collector the reason for the delay and he advised signal issues in Waterford!!! This means that Irish Rail knew all about the delay but never thought of telling their customers about it. No other service industry would allowed to get away with this level of intolerable service!!
Unread 04-10-2006, 18:00   #14
Oisin88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Cummins
Apparantly the server to issue the texts for Mondays debacle was also down! Hence why no texts were issued.
Em, how do you register for texts?
Unread 06-10-2006, 19:49   #15
Philly
Regular Poster

E-mail NRUG I think.
Unread 10-10-2006, 08:52   #16
Garrett Cummins
New to the board

To register for the text alerts you email crmheuston@irishrail.ie with your name and number. Place 'Newbridge Text Alerts' in the subject line.

Irish Rail have not really delivered this service as yet-we have actually started drawing up a database of users ourselves which we will forward to Irish Rail.

So if you want, email newbridgerailgroup@gmail.com with your name and number and we will forward it to Irish Rail

Regards,

G
Unread 10-10-2006, 17:58   #17
Oisin88

Is there any way of getting the text service if you are not a Newbridge customer?
Unread 10-10-2006, 18:11   #18
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Its only targeted at Newbridge that said the odds of the problem only effecting Newbridge is well 0.00001%

A letter was handed out explaining it back in May

Quote:
31 May 2006

Dear Passenger,

The recent formation of the Newbridge Rail Group has in my opinion been very positive. It offers us the opportunity to hear at first hand the problems which you, our customers, have with the rail service to and from Newbridge. It alsoallows us to respond to concerns raised. It is also an opportunity for us to explainthe reasons why certain decisions are taken.

The range of issues raised by you at the public meeting in Newbridge is extensive. Follow up meetings are taking place with your representatives on an ongoing basis to track progress on the commitments given.

One of the issues which was raised at our public meeting was a request to provide text alerts about service disruptions. I am happy to say that we are in a position to pilot such a service. If you would like to be included in the group, please forward your mobile number and name and we will include you. You may do this by completing the slip at the bottom of this letter and leaving it into the Customer Service Desk at Heuston or the Booking Office in Newbridge. Alternatively email your name and mobile no to crmheuston@irishrail.ie putting Newbridge Text Alert in the subject line.

Thank you for your ongoing support,
Yours sincerely,

(signed)

Steve Murphy
General Manager Southern & Western
Unread 10-10-2006, 18:16   #19
Oisin88

So I have to set up a Tullamore backwards commuter users group then?
Closed Thread