Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Drogheda-Balbriggan-Skerries-Donabate Line
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 27-09-2007, 18:41   #1
Aphfaneire
Regular Poster

Default All station upgrades on Drogheda line.

I dont want to make several threads for different questions because i would get in trouble, and im sure other people might want to discuss what i have to say.

At Pearse station today i noticed construction work on platform 3 has commenced and seems to have been going for a few weeks since the last time i was there about a month ago. Also a strange trench with concrete sleepers has been dug between the two tracks? I guess'd that it could be part of shifting the tracks to fit a third "express" track, but i then realised that this sounds to smart for ireland or the RPA and CIE.

Gormanstown has just recieved a MASSIVE park and pay car park. Why is this, is it to take pressure off the upgrade to Laytown? Gormanstown doesnt recieve that many trains only at peak times is it serviced. Is the schedual going to change to promote the use of its new facilities? Most of the time i pass through it i notice that the time to the next train can be anywhere from 45 minutes to into the hundreds or not at all, even in the evening.

As i allready mentioned, Laytown is also getting a bigger car park, but im still concerned that it just looks useless for the future. Its being built even closser to the River Mouth, with a pontoon structures now in the river, possibly a perdestrain bridge, im not sure. The Whole town has always looked dodgy to me with the river and beach only kept at bay by small earth works. Does CIE and the Town of Laytown not realise that even a few centimetre's in sea level change could cause higher stronger tides that will encrouch the low lying area. If the ice caps do melt further there will be a significant rise in sea level in 20 years, about the time the interconnector will go to balbriggan

Sorry for the rants, ill give simple questions?

What is happening in Pearse Station?

Why has Gormonstown been upgraded but without frequent service?

Is Laytown not in Danger of Flooding and further car park extenstion needed but currently dangerous?
Unread 27-09-2007, 21:02   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Details on Pearse are in the members area http://forum.platform11.org/showthread.php?t=2540 its a joint project is some ways with TCD http://www.tcd.ie/Buildings/projectsanpost.php. Its an underpass and new enterance

Car parks go where there is space, where planning permission can be got and also where the local council has rolled over and not stopped paid parking. Any location which prevents IE from charging is put to the very back of the queue, and that has been admitted publicly by IE management

I don't see any flooding risk to the station in Laytown, the track is on an embankment, car parks are another issue but as always floods are an act of god

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 27-09-2007 at 21:07.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-09-2007, 22:07   #3
Aphfaneire
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Details on Pearse are in the members area http://forum.platform11.org/showthread.php?t=2540 its a joint project is some ways with TCD http://www.tcd.ie/Buildings/projectsanpost.php. Its an underpass and new enterance

Car parks go where there is space, where planning permission can be got and also where the local council has rolled over and not stopped paid parking. Any location which prevents IE from charging is put to the very back of the queue, and that has been admitted publicly by IE management

I don't see any flooding risk to the station in Laytown, the track is on an embankment, car parks are another issue but as always floods are an act of god
Thanks, its good to know these things. I never thought the station was at risk, but commuters cars in a freak storm are.