Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 15-07-2011, 10:18   #1
Ron Burgundy
Regular Poster

Default Irish rail staff on trains

Hi all,

I'm wondering what is the position of Irish rail staff traveling in Premier class in uniform while not working.

On a daily basis i see staff get on in certain stations go to premier class and sit down.

Are they not like any other customer and not allowed to sit on these areas with that type of ticket.

I tackled a staff member about it and was told he was working ( on his way down to a station to turn around and come bakc checking tickets ).

This staff member was wearing headphones and had his feet up on the seats at the time i asked him. I asked if he was working why was he doing this, then he said he wasn't working so i asked why was he sitting in that carriage. He then said he wes working

I asked for his personal number which he refused to give me as he said he did nothing wrong, i had to ask another 5 times for it and say that i know he works in heuston and i'd point him out to a manager during the meet the managers day the next time it was on. Only then did i get his personal number.

I asked as this person wasn't working, i knew it as the previous evening he was on his way home on the same train ( headphones on and feet on the seat in uniform ) and got off at my stop and walked out of the station and home.

Is it one law for them and 1 for the rest of us ?

On the cork train staff ( on and off duty ) are always in premier class. On duty staff sit there and chat while eating and drinking ???

Oh and i was in premier to walk throught to see was the bottom door working as i needed to get off as close to the door as i was in a rush. I was asked to leave and explained this to another staff member who understood and had no problem with what i was doing.
Ron Burgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-07-2011, 20:08   #2
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster

Passengers on Waterford services can sit where they like. Have never saw anybody asked to leave first class. Although the Cork services may be stricter.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-07-2011, 09:59   #3
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

All staff can travel for free. Not all pay grades are entitled to first class often subject to nasty labour court cases. Station staff, drivers etc go standard. District managers and above and senior admin staff go first.

Staff in uniform are required to immediately give up there seat if it is needed by a passenger.

Any member of staff in uniform upon the railway who comes in contact with a passenger should have a name-badge (great theory). Any member of staff who refuses to identify themselves should be reported and any unacceptable behavour should also be reported

It should be noted that standing in the first class carriage with a standard class ticket can be considered fare evasion, unlikely but you have been warned
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20-07-2011, 07:53   #4
Ron Burgundy
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
All staff can travel for free. Not all pay grades are entitled to first class often subject to nasty labour court cases. Station staff, drivers etc go standard. District managers and above and senior admin staff go first.

Staff in uniform are required to immediately give up there seat if it is needed by a passenger.

Any member of staff in uniform upon the railway who comes in contact with a passenger should have a name-badge (great theory). Any member of staff who refuses to identify themselves should be reported and any unacceptable behavour should also be reported

It should be noted that standing in the first class carriage with a standard class ticket can be considered fare evasion, unlikely but you have been warned
Thanks Mark,

Only again on the 7:20 from Portarlington this morning ( Cork train ) three members of staff sat in the city gold section having a chat and drinking coffee. One of which got on in Portarlington.

On your last comment the sliding door was open so indication to say it was premier class until you are standing in it.

I can say say in my 6 years commuting i can pick on one hand the number of Irish rail staff that have been helpful in any way and i can count more than that who refused to give their personell number when asked.
Ron Burgundy is offline   Reply With Quote