Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Events, Happenings and Media
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
Unread 18-10-2006, 22:24   #1
Derek Wheeler

Default P11 News Item. "Maps are Back."

News Item.
Issued by: Platform 11 Communications & Media Officer.

MAPS ARE BACK!

In November 2005, Platform 11 made representations to Irish Rail in relation to the lack of suburban maps on the Dublin Fleet. Astonishingly it took until February 2006 until we received a reply. That reply from Mr. Tom Devoy, General Manager of the DART cited “vandalism” for the lack of maps. Mr. Devoy went on to claim, “currently we are updating our route map and within the next couple of weeks we will be placing the new maps in all DART and Railcar carriages.”

Despite Tom Devoy’s claim of “a couple of weeks”, Platform 11 is pleased to announce, after over 7 months, that the new maps have finally started to appear on the Dublin fleet. We can confirm that the new stations at Spencer Dock, Adamstown and Phoenix Park are included on the new map. (Opening 2007) While Platform 11 welcomes the re-introduction of the map, we are highly critical of Irish Rail’s complacency in what was a very simple matter. It is extremely unprofessional of the company to have suburban trains operating without any corresponding map of the network for such a long period.

Platform 11 has also noted that no maps of the Cork – Cobh suburban service actually exist. To compound this problem, some trains operating the service, actually carry copies of the Dublin suburban rail network! This is a totally unacceptable practise and reflects how “out of touch” Irish Rail are with their Cork suburban service. It may be small, but it’s due for expansion to Midleton and Blarney and it’s about time the company, at the very least, applied the same ethos that it still struggles to provide in Dublin.

Platform 11 will be contacting those responsible for the Cork – Cobh service and calling for the introduction of a map on board trains servicing the route. It’s a sad reflection on Irish Rail that Platform 11 has to point this out to them.

Watch this space.

Last edited by Derek Wheeler : 18-10-2006 at 22:28.
Unread 21-10-2006, 09:53   #2
James Shields

I've seen the new maps on the DARTs, which is a big improvement. There areseveral stations marked "opening 2007", including "Docklands" (with an interesting representaton of the Midland line).

None seem to have reached the commuter fleet yet, and many have no maps at all.

There are a number of railcar operated routes around the country, and they also sub in on extra weekend services on routes normally operated by IC stock. It seems outrageous that these routes should bear Dublin commuter maps. Since stock tends to switch routes more or less at random, how about having the Dublin map over one side and the national map over the other?
Unread 21-10-2006, 16:13   #3
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

One of our specific requests was that those DART units with electronic maps should have a fixed map

Happy to confirm that this has been done
Unread 24-10-2006, 09:15   #4
comcor
Really Regular Poster

Location: Cork-Dublin, Cork Commuter and occasionally DART and Dublin-Wexford

Talking of maps, I created a map of the proposed Cork suburban network for wikipedia.

As it's public domain licensed, it's free for Platform 11 to use.

It's accurate to the best of my knowledge, although it omits the station that has been proposed for the Amgen site between Carrigtwohill and Midleton.

Unread 24-10-2006, 10:46   #5
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Don't worry about the Amgen site it not on the works order docs so its not happening anytime soon

Think Howth here rotate counter clockwise
Unread 25-10-2006, 05:55   #6
Ronald Binge

Is the map available online yet?
Unread 25-10-2006, 07:08   #7
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The map is copyright

Well we have a copy of the July draft http://www.platform11.org/images/july2006_draft_map.jpg
Unread 26-10-2006, 13:32   #8
MrX
Really Regular Poster

And they wonder why Cork keeps trying to declare an independent republic!

I remember the good old days (1990s) when we used to get clapped out dublin busses with not even a vague attempt to debrand the interiors.

Also remember being several that actually caught fire due to their clapped out engines being unable to negociate hills.

The attitude that CIE takes to Cork commuters is an utter disgrace. I am very much in favour of a cork transport authority.
Unread 26-10-2006, 15:47   #9
comcor
Really Regular Poster

Location: Cork-Dublin, Cork Commuter and occasionally DART and Dublin-Wexford

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX
And they wonder why Cork keeps trying to declare an independent republic!

I remember the good old days (1990s) when we used to get clapped out dublin busses with not even a vague attempt to debrand the interiors.
Even crazier is that the adverts in the trains are the Dublin adverts. Now it seems to me
  • If I was a Dublin advertiser I'd be a bit pissed off if the advert I'd paid for was being shown to people travelling between Cork and Mallow
  • Irish Rail are losing a potential source of income by not selling advertising specific to the Cork routes

In fact with the second of these points, it might make sense to have certain rolling stock tied to certain routes in Dublin to help with more focussed adverts and greater revenue from them.
Unread 31-10-2006, 08:40   #10
MrX
Really Regular Poster

IE get something right?

Are you quite mad?

It's simply not going to happen. I've accepted that a long time ago.
Unread 01-11-2006, 10:41   #11
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by comcor View Post
[*]If I was a Dublin advertiser I'd be a bit pissed off if the advert I'd paid for was being shown to people travelling between Cork and Mallow.
Well Titan have the contract there problem, the ads are not changed in Cork in fact there shouldn't be any left on board by now, the Cork and Limerick fleets are dedicated
Quote:
Originally Posted by comcor View Post
[*]Irish Rail are losing a potential source of income by not selling advertising specific to the Cork routes
That be Titans problem looking at 8 million journeys pa in Cork by 2016 so I'm sure they will cop on to it
Unread 01-11-2006, 11:06   #12
shweeney
Regular Poster

new map is an improvement on the old one but still not great - it looks messy, the lines don't line up and the docklands "branch" seems to have been added in as an afterthought.

I know they're restricted by the oblong shape, but there's got to be a better way of depicting the network

*fires up Visio*
Unread 01-11-2006, 12:23   #13
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Well the map is incorrect if you look carefully at the Dockland station it should branch below the Maynooth line as it does in reality

The original map as in the 1980 something was a straight line more or less, that worked fine until Kildare local services appeared and the Maynooth line got a heap of stations. It lasted in a more jazzy format until just after Malahide went DART

I might be dreaming but I think they had two different maps back then (the second was a flopped version of the first) so Howth was always at the Howth end of the train regardless of which side you looked at

It not just the DART maps

Prize for the first person to find Monestervin on a map in a Mk3 or Mk2 coach, might want to find Ennis as well

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 01-11-2006 at 12:26.
Unread 01-11-2006, 13:23   #14
markpb

Am I the only one who'd prefer a schematic diagram like other cities use instead of a mixture of a schematic superimposed a bad drawing of Dublin? The existing maps are too small to actually be useful but as another poster has pointed out, they're constrained by space.

What I'd like to see is a list of the stops on the current route. Black line, black writing, white background, terribly simple and easy to read. Someone else on the train, there'd be an A3 drawing of the system map, again in schematic form.
Unread 02-11-2006, 08:57   #15
shweeney
Regular Poster

yeah - since they switched to trying to depict Dublin Bay on the map its become a lot messier

here's my version - done in the style of the original Dart map, sea on the top, land on the bottom. Personally I thinks its a lot neater and clearer - an actual graphic designer should be able to do something better...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dart-map.jpg (186.7 KB, 1283 views)
Unread 02-11-2006, 09:32   #16
markpb

Thats a lot better than the current one but I think it's still too detailed for the side map. It's closer to what I use as the system map. This is more what I had in mind for the Dart carriages only less ugly and with the other stations named as well 2900s would have a similar map for the Sligo/Maynooth route.

Edit: Comcor's map is what I would have drawn if I had any skills. Simple, easy to read only shows one route with interchanges.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dartmap.jpg (11.7 KB, 489 views)
Unread 04-11-2006, 02:02   #17
James Shields

The DARTs all have the new maps, but commuter trains (where they have maps at all) still have the old one.

How about a scrolly board or a hi-res LCD display that will automatically show the correct map for the route a commuter train is currently running? Or is there a simpler solution?
Unread 04-11-2006, 16:18   #18
luasifer
Regular Poster

couple of things ommited from the map. It shows airport connection from Connolly but not from Heuston(748 anybody!).

I think the whole luas/dart seperate map thing is a farce but I guess thats a different ballgame. At least they've included some of the red line
Unread 13-11-2006, 14:14   #19
shweeney
Regular Poster

on my DART carriage this morning there was at least 6 (Six) copies of the new map, including 3 in a row over one of the doors.

either they printed too many, or they're experiencing a shortage of advertising.
Unread 13-11-2006, 14:40   #20
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Equally I can find coaches with only 2 or 3

The allocation is or should be as follows

Original Fleet
2 long maps each side of the doors

Newer coaches
1 long map over door, 1 short map overstanding area

Newest coaches (electronic maps)
2 short maps over standing area

We specifically requested a fixed map on those coaches with a electronic map, these coaches never had a full map before

Part of the problem is the maps reduce revenue space, IE can make more cash by pulling all the maps

Good news is the maps appear to be printed on a plastic card material which should prove more robust
Closed Thread