Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Drogheda-Balbriggan-Skerries-Donabate Line
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 22-07-2006, 18:34   #1
Dylan
New to the board

Default drogheda second train station

Are there plans for a second train station at Drogheda, near the Termon Abbey estate, or not? It looks like it was a marketing ploy by the original developers or is it officially planned?
Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-07-2006, 21:03   #2
James Shields

Well, if you bought a house in the expectation that a new station will open in a few months, I'm afraid you've been sold a lemon.

The Drogheda development plan can be found here:

http://www.louthcoco.ie/index.aspx?d...eid=3&secid=44

It contains the following:

Quote:
5.6 Drogheda North Railway Station

Under the auspices of the North Drogheda Environs Plan adopted by Louth County
Council, provision is made for the creation of a new commuter railway station
immediately to the north of the Borough boundary. This station, if implemented would
cater for both existing Borough residents and also new residents living in the extensive
development lands within the North Drogheda Environs. A new station at this location
would be of significant benefit to Drogheda Borough in alleviating congestion from traffic
on the Northside accessing the existing rail station as well as in the immediate environs of
the existing station. The creation of this station may necessitate the extension of some
services from the Borough including road and pedestrian links. Drogheda Borough
Council will co-operate with the railway operator and adjacent local authority in order to
realise the establishment of a Drogheda North Railway Station.
Essentially, this is saying that the town council will cooperate with IE should IE want to build a north Drogheda station. On the plus side, there is land reserved for such a station, which I believe would be off the Termonfeckan Road where there is an old spur to the former cement factory.

There are a couple of problems with it. The track over the Boyne viaduct is single track, so there are a limited number of train paths over that line, As the new station would be on a spur, existing trains from Dundalk couldn't stop there, so trains serving the new station would be ones that currently terminate in Drogheda, but it would require increased traffic over the viaduct.

I expect it will eventually get built, but it is likely to be several years off. There is significant development expected on the northern envirns, so the council would do well to start levying developments on the north of the town towards the cost of the station.
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-07-2006, 22:07   #3
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

As James has posted this is more a vision than a reality

In light of the decision not to bring the DART to Drogheda such a station would result in serve operational difficulties and low service frequency
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-07-2006, 14:17   #4
Dylan
New to the board

thanks very much for coming back to me. very useful info, especially the development plans link.
Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-07-2006, 14:41   #5
Navan Junction
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostcarpark
There are a couple of problems with it. The track over the Boyne viaduct is single track, so there are a limited number of train paths over that line, As the new station would be on a spur, existing trains from Dundalk couldn't stop there, so trains serving the new station would be ones that currently terminate in Drogheda, but it would require increased traffic over the viaduct.
A new piece has just been published to Meath on Track site.

Written by Ron Cox, he has kindly allowed it to be reproduced.

Bridging the gap: The Boyne Viaduct 1855
Conception, Design and Construction

To view, click here
Navan Junction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-01-2007, 13:27   #6
Aphfaneire
Regular Poster

Im Living in the Drogheda area, and as far as i know from my limited knoledge of the town, the spur to the cement plat runs south out of the main line, which would mean no train going north could stop in it and then continue. This understanding only comes from driving over the only remaining bit of track near the cement factory on my way to the station every morning. I also think this is the case due to a map of drogheda in a local barbers that shows the spur turning north-east out of the line and then south

A Drogheda north station would have to be slap bang in the middle of the main line, but with the end of the viaduct stretching out of the town it would have to be built in relation to further development on the north side of the town.

Also i have thought recently that it would be a good idea to replace the current span of the viaduct with a stronger structure capable of holding two tracks. Surely modern steel structures or some sort of strong carbons should be able to take the weight, and its not like the stone pillars cant take the weight. Im not an engineer but it looks like only the spans hold the viaduct back.
Unread 29-01-2007, 13:36   #7
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

This is where you have to deal with ignorant local politicans who just don't get it, it has to be on the mainline

No problem fix the viaduct, problem is the entire structure is grade 1 listed
Unread 29-01-2007, 18:07   #8
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

Has NIR ever been asked to extend the Portadown service cross border to provide connection to Dublin-Dundalk suburban, providing more Dublin-Belfast capacity and freeing up seats on existing Enterprise services? Alternatively the extension could be both ways, IE and Translink to Newry with handoff there or IE to Portadown if NIR felt they didn't have enough railcars to manage the extension beyond Portadown.

That might be one way to increase frequency on the route with an eventual aim to end IE railcars beyond Drogheda and use Mk3s to turn Dundalk railcar into more Enterprise services. Maybe the DDs could be bought in full by NIR as their Enterprise fleet and IE using refitted Mk3s as theirs. With seat booking perhaps Drogheda North and/or Dunleer could be opened as a halt but only for services north of Drogheda?

How much alteration would fixing the viaduct require?
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-01-2007, 20:32   #9
James Shields

I know a number of the arches have had iron girders in the floor replaced with reinforced concrete. I'm not sure if this has been done for all of them.

The original iron girders of the 1856 bridge were replaced by the current steel structure in the 1930s. As the steel bridge was built inside the iron one, it was no longer wide enough for trains to pass (although this had already been stopped over concerns over weight).

Presumably the current steel bridge will eventually need replacing again, and at that stage it could be rebuilt with one wide enough (and strong enough) for trains to pass.

I think there is some merit in the calls for a north Drogheda station, but why not test demand first? It would be easy and cheap to offer a bus service between the area concerned and Drogheda station. If it was run as a connecting service, it could cut down congestion in the car park. There are currently two Drogheda town bus services, but neither of them serve the railway station, and the bus station is a good ten minute walk away.
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-01-2007, 11:35   #10
Gobdaw

The fact that the metal portion of the viaduct is not the original must lessen the value of its status as a listed structure, and replication of the steel in the original position on the bridge supports would, as suggested, allow the bridge be again doubled ( or with a design cantelevered off the masonry structure, possibly trebbled).

What improvements to train paths etc would doubling allow?
Gobdaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-01-2007, 11:46   #11
Mark

This was discussed a good while ago with lots of graphics to beat the band but I cant find the thread. The latest plan is actually to locate the station on the mainline and not the spur.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-01-2007, 11:47   #12
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

I'm not going into the technical details but from a passenger point of view there are two key issues

Any station north of the Boyne is going to have limited service owing to the single track over the viaduct

If the station is off the mainline it can't be served by any commuter train to Dundalk making it impossible to travel Drogheda north to Dunleer/Dundalk directly which is important given the NSS grouping

The entire viaduct was built for two tracks, the original iron centre span is still in place. They built the new span inside the original they depend on each other.