Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Drogheda-Balbriggan-Skerries-Donabate Line
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-02-2007, 20:39   #1
Rashers
Really Regular Poster

Default Lusk station

What's the story with all the cars parked in the field East of the Rush and Lusk station?
Rashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2007, 21:51   #2
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

They're disabled drivers and cant park in the lusk carpark cos ie have thoughtfully blocked the 3 spaces there?
Colm Donoghue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-02-2007, 19:42   #3
Rashers
Really Regular Poster

Default Getting full

Just wondering if it just disabled drviers, as the field seems to be filling up daily. Also looks a bit muddier!
Unread 27-02-2007, 19:54   #4
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Must take a trip out to see this
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-02-2007, 09:16   #5
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

Ah no, I was being my usual facetious self. There is some "communications" company putting in a trench in the Lusk carpark but they've left fencing and equipment blocking the disabled car spaces.

I don't know if the field's offically a carpark (rented by ie) or a gray area or squatting or what.
I do know the 3 hard carparks there were full this morning at 7:09.

If you've not been there before Mark, the "new" carpark on the Lusk side was opened about a year ago. It's the one with the cobblelock.

The Lusk area plan has a re-zoning application in to build a new station south of the existing station and obviously loadsa houses and leisure facilities and shops yada yada yada.... and re-route the station road through these new houses.

If ya've time (and it's dry), take a trip along the "footpaths" from the station to both town's served by this station.

and if ya're brave, walk from one platform to t'other via the road bridge as one would if one was mobility impaired....

Development levies well spent here....
Unread 28-02-2007, 15:04   #6
Terrontress
Regular Poster

Think that same company is in Donabate.

They show up sporadically and dig long, narrow trenches and put tape along the trench to stop people parking there.

Occasionally some commuters make it there before the builders and they tie the red and white tape onto each mirror of the car.
Terrontress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2007, 14:43   #7
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Car parking Irish Rail Style

Name:  PICT0622.jpg
Views: 1101
Size:  54.1 KB

Be thankful for that nice clean waiting room
Unread 06-03-2007, 10:58   #8
Bluetonic
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmd View Post
The Lusk area plan has a re-zoning application in to build a new station south of the existing station and obviously loadsa houses and leisure facilities and shops yada yada yada.... and re-route the station road through these new houses.
Lots of info here

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/YourLocalCo...skProposedLAP/
Bluetonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2007, 08:43   #9
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

Default Field beside Rush and Lusk station to be closed to cars

The field beside the station is going to be closed soon,
The farmer needs to plant crops there and can no longer allow cars to park there.
The farmer had let cars park there for free but can't any more.
There's a new pair of gates up this morning.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2055085746

Last edited by Colm Donoghue : 01-05-2007 at 15:25. Reason: link added
Unread 16-05-2007, 18:27   #10
Rashers
Really Regular Poster

Default PD's election stunt

Tom Morrisey, local PD candidate for North Dublin, is providing a free morning and evening shuttle bus between Rush and Lusk, calling@ Rush and Lusk train station, up to the election day. He advises it is terrible that DB refuse to provide a link.
What amazes me is that in all the years the PD's have been in power, they never thought to push for such a service, despite massive population increases in both towns. But am I been too critical?
The Greens provided a similar shuttle bus for 1 day in the last few weeks.
He also goes on about the way DB have not applied to run a single bus through the Dublin Port Tunnel - especially express buses from the likes of Donabate, Rush, Lusk, Skerries or Balbriggan. Such services might relieve some of the present overcrowding problems. However, again why only complain now? They should have pushed for more while in power.
Any thoughts?
Unread 16-05-2007, 18:43   #11
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Tom is using cash from his election budget to pay for it about €2k is the bottom line

If I remember correctly there is already a bus stop at the station road entrance.

One of the big complaints concerning the DART in the mid 1980's was expected passenger numbers where not achieved (yes it was below target) was attributed to Dublin Bus not providing a decent feeder bus service.

A proper local bus service is key and it is in the election demands we have
Unread 17-05-2007, 08:02   #12
markpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashers View Post
He also goes on about the way DB have not applied to run a single bus through the Dublin Port Tunnel - especially express buses from the likes of Donabate, Rush, Lusk, Skerries or Balbriggan. Such services might relieve some of the present overcrowding problems.
The 748 and 41X definitely go through the port tunnel, I'd imagine the 33X will follow suit at some stage. Pulling buses like the 41 and 33 away from the Swords road would reduce the capacity along that road as well as forcing people who work between north county Dublin and the city centre to travel all the way in and back out.

Quote:
However, again why only complain now? They should have pushed for more while in power.
This is why I find it so hard to believe an of the PD/FF promises about transport. They had years to do even simple things like feeder buses and never bothered. Why start now?
markpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-05-2007, 09:11   #13
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

Tom Morrissey, had a shuttle minibus alright. It blocked the exit from the Lusk side car park on Monday both times I was using it on Monday.
The Pd's have been in govt since 99, yet only now ten days before the general election has this happened. I sincerely hope nobody thinks it's anything other than a stunt.

There's DB bus stops close to the station entrances ( ~150m) on the Lusk side and right at the Rush side entrance. DB services in the mornings from Rush seem fine to bring people to the station and probably from Lusk too. It's the evening time when (like everywhere) the bus network gets screwed up.

A Local bus service (33T (for Train, geddit)) running a dogbone shape service between Rush and Lusk should be a goer. Combined population is over 14000.

Rush is fairly sprawling low density - loads of houses have large ~half acre gardens while others have vegetable plots or glasshouses instead ( still ~half acres). Most of the new housing is in the North and extreme East of the town but I'm not sure how to do a loop for a bus route to maximize catchment here.

In Lusk the bus route should go through the three new estates, Lusk Village estate (not sure how feasible or welcome it would be - can use bypass) down main st and Dublin road and through Chapel farm to Dun Emer along the distributer road and loop back.

Whoever runs the bus, It shouldn't cost any more than the existing bus/rail ticket I have. i.e. if Not Dublin bus run the service, a short hop bus/rail ticket should still cover the service.

Last edited by Colm Donoghue : 17-05-2007 at 09:18. Reason: added need for integrated ticketing
Unread 17-05-2007, 10:36   #14
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Tom Morrissey:

ha ha ha.... what the hell are you thinking!!!!!!!

I look forward to waiting in the rain next Friday waiting on his bus.

Talk about hostage to fortune.

Does Tom actually know what parties have been in government for the past 10 years???
Unread 17-05-2007, 13:39   #15
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

I'd tell ya what I was thinking but you reminded me of the right to a good name on another thread....

Rashers,
I presume the pd's didn't care about people without cars
"A man riding a bus (to work) at age 26 may count himself a failure"?
Until the farmer providing a free carpark closed it as the election campaign got underway.
Unread 17-05-2007, 14:37   #16
hhf8
Regular Poster

Quote:
Tom Morrisey, local PD candidate for North Dublin, is providing a free morning and evening shuttle bus between Rush and Lusk, calling@ Rush and Lusk train station, up to the election day. He advises it is terrible that DB refuse to provide a link.
What amazes me is that in all the years the PD's have been in power, they never thought to push for such a service, despite massive population increases in both towns. But am I been too critical?
The Greens provided a similar shuttle bus for 1 day in the last few weeks.
He also goes on about the way DB have not applied to run a single bus through the Dublin Port Tunnel - especially express buses from the likes of Donabate, Rush, Lusk, Skerries or Balbriggan. Such services might relieve some of the present overcrowding problems. However, again why only complain now? They should have pushed for more while in power.
Any thoughts?
There is a shuttle bus in balbriggan provided by bus eireann which goes around the town and ends up out side the station.So may it would have to be up to BE to supply the service

Last edited by hhf8 : 17-05-2007 at 16:53. Reason: forgot the town
hhf8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-05-2007, 16:28   #17
Prof_Vanderjuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhf8 View Post
There is a shuttle bus provided by bus eireann which goes around the town and ends up out side the station.So may it would have to be up to BE to supply the service
If this is the Balbriggan one (as I presume), I believe a developer is paying towards it too.
Prof_Vanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-05-2007, 22:51   #18
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Surely one of the PDs freinds in a super-efficient private company should do it?
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-05-2007, 17:10   #19
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

Quote:
He advises it is terrible that DB refuse to provide a link.
That's why DB should be providers of buses, not deciders of routes and Dublin Transit Authority or whichever body would cover these stations should contract in another company if DB don't think they can make it work. Blaming DB is rubbish, they are hostages to the politicians and unions.

How about a rule - no feeder, no suburban rail?
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-05-2007, 12:52   #20
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

Default Bike Shed at Rush and Lusk station

There was a sign up in the station this morning about a bike shed opening on 21st May at the station.
Didn't get to read all the message.