Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Rosslare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Unread 08-05-2018, 22:38   #1
Traincustomer
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: ar an traein
Posts: 559
Default Irish Rail will not run an extra Wicklow/Wexford train

Quote:

Irish Rail will not run an extra Wicklow/Wexford train at rush hour, according to its response to a request by the council.

The company's chief executive Jim Meade wrote to Wicklow County Council about the matter, according to Cllr Derek Mitchell in Greystones

'The N11 is jammed and the rail line virtually empty because of the poor service,' said Cllr Mitchell.
Quote:
These would leave Greystones at either 7.22 a.m. or 8.22 a.m.

This would effectively double the capacity of the rail line from Kilcoole south but has now been refused. 'I think the real reason they refused is they want to give priority to County Dublin services over County Wicklow which they see as a nuisance
From source at: https://www.independent.ie/regionals...-36865917.html

Money or no money for additional services it is increasingly apparent that there is an overwhelming antipathy towards this line and others amongst the powers that be.
Traincustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2018, 00:50   #2
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,039
Default

Quote:
Money or no money for additional services it is increasingly apparent that there is an overwhelming antipathy towards this line and others amongst the powers that be.
While service levels are not great off peak, peak service is comparable with most of the network (South of Graystones). Commuter towns on Sligo and Waterford have up to 4 service by 10.00, Rosslare has 3 and if you were to add a service to fit in with other route schedules it would be departing at 06.00 and it wouldn't exactly be useful.

What most people forget is an extra service also requires a return service at a minimum and its costly.

Surly IE could squeeze in an extra DART from Graystones at peak hours is is the single track at capacity?

Its also very hard to buy the councils argument, if they did more research and provided evidence an extra service would free up the N11 they may have a case.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2018, 01:06   #3
Traincustomer
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: ar an traein
Posts: 559
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie2k9 View Post
Its also very hard to buy the councils argument, if they did more research and provided evidence an extra service would free up the N11 they may have a case.
Ought it not to be I… and the NTA doing research of this nature?
Traincustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2018, 09:33   #4
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer
 
Mark Gleeson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Coach C, Seat 33
Posts: 12,530
Default

Its possible to get a 0815 arrival at Connolly, that would require a further train southwards in the evening

The reality is Bray Greystones is a huge risk and any delay has serious impacts.

Best option is to make the current trains longer, no extra staff costs
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2018, 18:07   #5
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 554
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traincustomer View Post
From source at: https://www.independent.ie/regionals...-36865917.html

Money or no money for additional services it is increasingly apparent that there is an overwhelming antipathy towards this line and others amongst the powers that be.
So what service elsewhere on the network would you shorten/cancel to provide the rolling stock for such an additional service?

Not sure what increasingly apparent evidence there is of antipathy towards the line you think there is - the reality is that thereís no spare rolling stock to operate an extra peak hour service.
berneyarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2018, 21:17   #6
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,039
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traincustomer View Post
Ought it not to be I… and the NTA doing research of this nature?
Perhaps but I think the research would conclude another service wouldn't make a massive amount of difference to usage.

The council should work with the NTA to make the case as they will be funding any extra service.

Quote:
So what service elsewhere on the network would you shorten/cancel to provide the rolling stock for such an additional service?

Not sure what increasingly apparent evidence there is of antipathy towards the line you think there is - the reality is that thereís no spare rolling stock to operate an extra peak hour service.
To be fair, IE don't exactly make an effort to improve the line and existing services.

Quote:
Its possible to get a 0815 arrival at Connolly, that would require a further train southwards in the evening

The reality is Bray Greystones is a huge risk and any delay has serious impacts.

Best option is to make the current trains longer, no extra staff costs
Any idea what it can typically handle per hour in terms of movements?

Last edited by Jamie2k9 : 09-05-2018 at 21:19.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2018, 18:27   #7
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 554
Default

Bray - Greystones can handle two DARTs in each direction per hour plus up to two additional services, which are normally used for the DSE Line services) - thatís the max operationally that you would deem possible.

Last edited by berneyarms : 10-05-2018 at 18:30.
berneyarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2018, 06:39   #8
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer
 
Mark Gleeson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Coach C, Seat 33
Posts: 12,530
Default

Its 2 DART + 1, actually as a DART would occupy a platform at Greystones

You could have 6 trains an hour in a single direction, probably even 8 but thats no help.

Extra trains are not happening, a few extra carriages on the current services, which already have very attractive timings.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-05-2018, 11:54   #9
Traincustomer
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: ar an traein
Posts: 559
Default

On 1st June the Rosslare line is dealt another blow with the introduction of a new bus route (with up to nine services in each direction daily) by a private operator Gorey - Arklow - Wicklow - city - Airport.

Business has already been abstracted in my opinion (and that of many others) by the Local Link bus at the Rosslare end.

The NTA come across as increasingly pro-bus and clearly appear to have no will to improve rural/regional rail.

Closure by stealth?
Traincustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-05-2018, 13:22   #10
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 554
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traincustomer View Post
On 1st June the Rosslare line is dealt another blow with the introduction of a new bus route (with up to nine services in each direction daily) by a private operator Gorey - Arklow - Wicklow - city - Airport.

Business has already been abstracted in my opinion (and that of many others) by the Local Link bus at the Rosslare end.

The NTA come across as increasingly pro-bus and clearly appear to have no will to improve rural/regional rail.

Closure by stealth?
Bit difficult to add trains when thereís damn all spare rolling stock. I think you may be engaging in a bit of hyperbole here.

The Local Link services are an important addition across the country and frankly should have happened years ago.

Iím not sure how you think Wexford Bus can be stopped from adding a commercial bus service?
berneyarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-05-2018, 17:45   #11
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,039
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by berneyarms View Post
Bit difficult to add trains when thereís damn all spare rolling stock. I think you may be engaging in a bit of hyperbole here.

The Local Link services are an important addition across the country and frankly should have happened years ago.

Iím not sure how you think Wexford Bus can be stopped from adding a commercial bus service?
I'm sorry if IE really wanted to add another service they could find rolling stock however its currently to costly to add an extra service but its not impossible.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-05-2018, 00:07   #12
Inniskeen
Really Regular Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 916
Default

The N11 corridor has become a very busy commuter route. Sadly the railway is now barely relevant due to poor service frequency, limited seating capacity and tediously slow journey times especially on the portion of the route shared with DART. It appears more likely to be partially closed than developed.

What is the strategy for the line ? Does either the operator or the NTA have any vision or ambition for the future ?

The contrast with the Belfast/Derry line is instructive, similar length, similar infrastructure. One is booming, the other limps on with little promise of improvement.
Inniskeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:08.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.