Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Kerry
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 21-08-2009, 22:57   #1
netwhizkid
New to the board

Default IÉ, GAA Specials, a disgrace!

I travelled from Killarney on Bank Holiday Monday morning last for the Kerry-Dublin match between Kerry and Dublin. I took the 07.26 from Killarney to Heuston and quite frankly it was a terrible journey I will not forget for a while!

Firstly I felt a bit like the woman who was mugged after paying €144 (€72 each) for our two tickets on what are supposed to be specials. I was held hostage all day in front of my PC as IÉ would not put up anything on their website saying that this train will be available to book from such a time. I spent the whole day clicking refresh until the tickets came on to book, wasting a good part of the day as I did not want to miss out as has happened to me before. Incidentally the tickets were just that and were not seat reservations so it was like Ryanair first to the seats and the rest can stand.

On the train we got two seats (old orange trains) and all was going ok, tickets were checked in Killarney and didn't see any other IÉ staff between there and Heuston.

However then two teenagers sat in long side us and proceeded to make the rest of the journey a disaster, they began drinking about 10 mins out of Killarney and between two of them and their 3rd friend had polished off a bottle of Vodka before even Kildare and drunkenness would hardly describe them. Their 3rd friend has sitting on her mates lap and half sprawled across my friend, the train was full so if we vacated our seats we would have to stand, I could find no-one on the train to do something and had to endure it all the ways up.

A few years ago a similar thing happened and there was bag searches on the trains as a result but this ended the following year plus there was a security guard posted on the trains. The return trip home was fine but I was p'd off after paying €72 having to endure anti-social foul mouthed drunkards for the trip.

IE should cut ticket prices and enforce the no alcohol policy on trains for minors anyway! Post a ticketchecker and security guard on each train also. Thankfully I have since discovered the wonders of the M8 to Dublin and I can carry 5 passengers in my car up and down for about €40 worth of fuel without having to endure little scumbags for 3 and a half hours.
Unread 24-09-2009, 17:58   #2
peterh
New to the board

I very sure they stopped selling alcohol on these trains but that's totally disgracful those teenagners should have been removed off the train by the ticket inspector and repored thm to the gardai
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote