Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Limerick
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-06-2010, 22:09   #1
eaw
New to the board

Question Direction of train and baggage size

Hello:

My husband, son and I will be traveling from Dublin to Limerick on Saturday, July 3, 2010. I am planning to buy standard seats online and want to know which direction the train will be traveling so that I can choose 2 seats facing toward Limerick. Does the locomotive always face the direction it's traveling on the seat assignment page? Is it worth it to buy premier seats?

We will have 3 large (30") suitcases with us. Is there a size limit to the baggage you can travel with? I found the weight limit, but no size info. Where does the luggage get stowed since they will be too big for the overhead bin? Will we need to carry it on board ourselves?

Thank you so much in advance for your help,
Esther
eaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2010, 23:06   #2
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaw View Post
My husband, son and I will be traveling from Dublin to Limerick on Saturday, July 3, 2010. I am planning to buy standard seats online
You should be able to do this within 28 days of departure. You can have your tickets posted to you within Ireland or you can collect them at your nominated station from the large orange ticket machines - have your booking reference handy. Any problems, just collect them from the cashier (photo ID may be required). Child fares are available to those under 16, toddlers go free. If you book ahead, you can get adult, standard class fare for about €10 one-way on some services. Peak and walk-on fares tend to be much more expensive.

Quote:
and want to know which direction the train will be traveling so that I can choose 2 seats facing toward Limerick. Does the locomotive always face the direction it's traveling on the seat assignment page?
The left side of the booking screen generally corresponds with the front of the train (it gets slightly complicated on trains via Kilkenny). On those trains with locomotives, normally the locomotive is at the non-Dublin end of the train and this is the left side of the screen on the booking page.

Strictly speaking, not all trains have locomotives these days. On Dublin-Limerick direct services, the trains are the 22000 Class DMU shown here: http://www.irishrail.ie/fleet_information/intercity_fleet.asp If you get a Cork-bound train and change at Limerick Junction, it is likely (not guaranteed, some quiet services might be 22000 Class) to be a Mark 4 train as shown on that page, with a 2700 Class on the Limerick Junction-Limerick leg.

Quote:
Is it worth it to buy premier seats?
If you are on a Mark 4, first class means much bigger, comfier seats, electrical sockets (220V 50Hz) and is a better general experience. The carriage is 3 seats across instead of 4. Certain services have free Wi-fi (in all classes). The dining car will be immediately adjacent. There will likely be a train host, but sometimes they aren't the most efficient - some of them are excellent, others hide.

If its a 22000 Class, the seating is 4-across in all classes, but all seats have electrical sockets. While it might be a "better experience", it won't be as nice as the Mark 4. No wi-fi. The dining car will be immediately adjacent. I'm not sure about train hosts.

Quote:
We will have 3 large (30") suitcases with us. Is there a size limit to the baggage you can travel with? I found the weight limit, but no size info.
That should be fine. I don't think there is a size limit, once you aren't over-doing things.

Quote:
Where does the luggage get stowed since they will be too big for the overhead bin?
Most carriages have a luggage rack at either end, and a certain amount of space between those seats that are back to back - board early and there shouldn't be a problem. In addition, there is a large luggage space at the Dublin end of the Mark 4 trains.

Quote:
Will we need to carry it on board ourselves?
Normally yes, but if you have a particular problem, just ask. All access within Heuston is more or less step free, except for a single step up onto the train - ramps are available.

Let us know about your experience. http://railusers.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=193

Note: while Limerick station is quite central, it is on top of a hill. Heuston is a short bus or tram ride from the city centre in Dublin.

Last edited by Colm Moore : 05-06-2010 at 23:18.
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2010, 23:59   #3
eaw
New to the board

Mr. Moore:

Thank you so much for your quick reply. My son is 19 yrs old so we will be buying all adult tickets. I am planning to book this online after tomorrow (28 days advance). It looks like the train we will be taking is the Dublin-Limerick-Ennis line, leaving Heuston @14:00 hrs and arriving at Limerick Junction @15:42 hrs. We switch trains at Limerick Junction to go to Limerick. Would this be on a 22000 Class or Mark 4 train? When I look on the seat assignment reservation page, the seats are in a 3 across configuration for the premier seats, and 4 across for standard seats. I am very confused!

Thanks again for all your help,
Esther
Unread 06-06-2010, 00:30   #4
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
My son is 19 yrs old so we will be buying all adult tickets.
If you are making multiple trips, there are student options available (Specific ID required), but its unlikely to suit your situation.

Quote:
I am planning to book this online after tomorrow (28 days advance). It looks like the train we will be taking is the Dublin-Limerick-Ennis line, leaving Heuston @14:00 hrs and arriving at Limerick Junction @15:42 hrs. We switch trains at Limerick Junction to go to Limerick. Would this be on a 22000 Class or Mark 4 train?
Most likely a Mark 4 from Heuston to Limerick Junction and a 2700 to Limerick. The 1525, 1625 and 1725 services are likely to be 22000s with no need to change trains.

Quote:
When I look on the seat assignment reservation page, the seats are in a 3 across configuration for the premier seats, and 4 across for standard seats. I am very confused!
This would be correct. Premier has the nicer, wider seats.

Quote:
Thanks again for all your help,
Not a problem.

Oh, if going direct from Airport to Heuston, you can get the route 748 express bus direct to the station from right outside the terminal - €6 each. If spending a few days in Dublin, consider a 5-day ticket (days need not be consecutive) for €20.
Unread 06-06-2010, 00:53   #5
eaw
New to the board

I cannot thank you enough for all your help. If everyone in Ireland is as nice as you are, I know we are going to have a fabulous trip!

Cheers,
Esther
Unread 06-06-2010, 01:42   #6
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

The people who are paid to be nice to you (Irish Rail Staff) may not be quite as helpful - let's hope you encounter the better ones!
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2010, 10:01   #7
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Just a few things to add to Colm's points: You can (probably) get a return Airlink ticket from the vending machines near the bus departure point for €10, and the CIE desk in the Dublin Airport arrivals hall (bear left after you pass through the Customs exit) should have them too.

All Dublin-Cork services (the ones at the top of the hour) are operated by Mark 4 trains excepting the 0800 and 0900, which are sometimes 22000s. If you're choosing standard class, coach C is nearest to the platform entrance at Heuston. Low-numbered seats are nearest the luggage rack. Seats 1 through 8 have a narrow table to facilitate access for mobility-impaired passengers, and seat 6 has a 3-pin 220V/50Hz power socket. There should be no problem with 30-inch cases, although you do have to lift them onboard yourself. You can check the cases if you prefer but this involves finding the train guard and may incur an additional charge if he is in a bad mood. The weight limit is never enforced if you can manage your bags by yourselves.

When travelling away from Dublin on a mark 4, the forward-facing seats in standard-class coaches are seats 3, 4, 7, 8, 11, and so on. In first-class, it's 2, 5, 6, 8, 11, 12, and so on. When travelling towards Dublin, it's the opposite way around. The train you mention should not, in any case, be very busy, so it's likely that even if you goof up the booking you'll still be able to sit facing whichever way you prefer.

While bookings are open on your outbound train from today, if you are planning on returning to Dublin you should book your outbound and return services at once as return (roundtrip) fares will be applied by the booking system if cheaper than the single (one-way) fares. You will also save on the credit card fee.

Last edited by Thomas Ralph : 06-06-2010 at 10:03.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2010, 17:12   #8
eaw
New to the board

Question New dilemma

Thank you for this additional information. It will be extremely helpful when booking our tickets. My dilemma now is whether to get premier or standard seats. The price difference is 60 euros per person, but I'd like to be comfortable. We will have been on a plane for 1.5 hrs before this train ride, and then will need to ride in a taxi to Bunratty Castle from Limerick. This is where our CIE tour starts. We won't need a return ticket because our tour ends back in Dublin. (All this because the flight from Dublin to Shannon leaves before our flight lands in Dublin!) My husband is 6 ft 1in (1.87 meters) tall and I'm wondering if the standard seating would be comfortable for him.

I so appreciate everyone's input. Thank you!
Esther
Unread 06-06-2010, 20:14   #9
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

The trains are similar in comfort/size to the Pacific Surfliner, although not double-deck. Airline-style seats as opposed to table seats have more leg room (you can stretch out your legs under the seat in front of you rather than sharing leg room with someone else).

I don't think €60 a person is worth it for less than two hours in first class. One of my taller colleagues might give you an opinion as well (I'm only 5'7").

Note that it's about ten miles from Limerick to Bunratty, which is around €20-€25 in a taxi; there's a bus service (route 343) as well.
Unread 06-06-2010, 20:29   #10
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
My husband is 6 ft 1in (1.87 meters) tall and I'm wondering if the standard seating would be comfortable for him.
Pick seats around a table and there should be no problem with leg room. The seats are reasonable, just not luxurious.

Taxi - approximate fares below for Limerick and Sixmilebridge to Bunratty. You should be able to get a taxi no problem from outside the station in Limerick, but you would need to book (€2) one for Sixmilebridge (its a small village and the station is outside it). The risk in Limerick is traffic congestion (€??), but it shouldn't be too bad. If travelling by train to Sixmilebridge, buy your ticket as far as Ennis (still €10) and get off early (let me check that this is permitted).

http://www.taxiregulator.ie/consumer...taxi-fare.html

Limerick to Bunratty
Initial fare + 2 extra passengers + 16.9 km @ €1.03 per km
€4.10 + €2 + €17.40 = €23.50

Sixmilebridge to to Bunratty
Initial fare + 2 extra passengers + Booking fee + 5.5 km @ €1.03 per km
€4.10 + €2 + €2 + €5.66 = €13.76

Bus - fare is €4.10 (10% on-line discount, but print off ticket). About 1 bus per hour, however the 1625 means a bit of a detour and two different buses.

Last edited by Colm Moore : 06-06-2010 at 20:52.
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2010, 20:39   #11
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Fare rate ramps up every 15km, but that's roughly the size of it.
Unread 07-06-2010, 16:56   #12
eaw
New to the board

Exclamation Thank you everyone

Thank you everyone for your great responses. I'm going to book standard seats to Limerick and then take a taxi to Bunratty. God bless this forum and the internet! What did we do before? Just took leaps of faith I guess. I really appreciate everyone's help. I will write and let everyone know how our adventures on Irish Rail was after our trip.

Best regards,
Esther Woods