Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > DART
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 15-11-2011, 09:48   #1
vegas82
New to the board

Default Bayside Dart Station Shutters

I noticed again this morning that one set of Bayside's shutters were down again this morning, blocking the fire exit before the turnstiles (as you exit the station).

This is something that Irish Rail do frequently - about once a week, and while its not so important at the moment as the turnstiles have still not been turned back on since the flood, in normal circumstances its quite worrying.

I have rung Irish Rail on several occasions in relation to this, and in fairness each time I do ring the do open up the shutters but they are clearly breaking the law and I am pretty fed up calling - what are my next steps?

The most irritating thing is it is their own fault for a bad station design - emergency exit doors before the turnstiles that are not alarmed mean people will use them to exit - so to force people to use the turnstiles they put the shutters down!!
vegas82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-11-2011, 10:00   #2
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

The next time, feel free to contact the fire brigade. http://www.dublinfirebrigade.com/con...formation.html

There are solutions to this arrangement arrangement, e.g. electro-magnetic locks connected to the fire alarm system. That is how shops deal with the situation of shoplifters using fire escapes. The fail-safe* status would be that the door is closed, but unlocked.

Whilet hrere is a limited number of things in Bayside station to burn, a station fire isn't the only situation where people may need to escape urgently.

* If there is a power cut or the fire alarm is triggered.

Last edited by Colm Moore : 15-11-2011 at 10:05.
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote