Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Mallow-Cork-Cobh/Midleton
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-01-2012, 14:08   #1
finnyus

Question Where do you buy a ticket?

The subsidy to IE has been cut, we all know this. Therefore, money needs to be found from everywhere to cope.

New Year's Day saw a busy day in Cobh, especially in the afternoon/evening time due to the first event of the Titanic100 take place. As it was a Sunday, a Sunday timetable was in stitu. Which sees a bit of a mixture of train frequencies on the line.

I took the 1600 Cork - Cobh, which was busy enough. I purchased my return ticket at a TVM. There was no one around checking tickets. A relative of mine got a spin from Midleton to Glounthaune, to join the 1600 Cork - Cobh as there is no connecting train from Midleton at this time. Glounthaune booking office was closed, and no ticket inspector/seller/RPU on the train so it was a free spin for them to Cobh.

Cobh booking office was also closed, and what cannot only be described as standing-room only for the 1630 Cobh - Cork I was wondering if any of the passengers boarding had a ticket, and how much revenue was lost.

As the Titanic100 event was finishing around 1720, we decided to get the 1730 Cobh - Cork back, but from Rushbrooke as we were nearer to that station. 12ppl (including us) boarded a well filled 2-car at Rushbrooke, where there is no booking office or TVM. We picked up passengers at each station except Carrigaloe to arrive at Cork almost full with a number of passengers standing.

Again, with only 1 TVM at the at Little Island, I wondered how many passengers had tickets and how much revenue was lost with that service and indeed other services...

F.
finnyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2012, 15:13   #2
comcor
Really Regular Poster

Location: Cork-Dublin, Cork Commuter and occasionally DART and Dublin-Wexford

The booking office in Cork was closed this morning. The explanation given was "staff shortage and no budget for overtime". Now, for standard tickets bought trom a TVM, that's no problem, but for things like family tickets you're a bit screwed.

And if they can't sort it out in a big station like Cork, what's going to happen in the smaller stations on the Cork commuter network...
comcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2012, 15:19   #3
finnyus

Quote:
Originally Posted by comcor View Post
The booking office in Cork was closed this morning. The explanation given was "staff shortage and no budget for overtime". Now, for standard tickets bought trom a TVM, that's no problem, but for things like family tickets you're a bit screwed....
If that case, what happens if you want a family ticket? Or a 10Euro Cork/Kerry spl ticket? Or one the cheaper Dublin saver tickets? Tough cookie like?

I've been working in IT (software/hardware programming) for over 10 years at this stage. It should be a very straightforward process to program the TVM's to dispense, for example, the Cork/Kerry day saver after 0900.

Is there a reason why tickets like the savers, or the family tickets cannot be purchased from a TVM?
finnyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2012, 18:36   #4
ccos

The other day, the booking office was closed in Cobh, theres no TVM so we travelled with no tickets and nobody came to check or sell one.
I find it amazing that there isnt a TVM at every station on this line, all stations get at least an hourly up and down drain. Ive been at some off the beaten track request only halts in Switzerland with TVMs.

In Holland the ticket office and shop are the same at some stations, would IE not consider allowing this sort of franchise in stations like Cobh and Midleton?
ccos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2012, 23:28   #5
jacko
Regular Poster

IR losing a fortune in revenue due to absence of TVM's at Cobh & Rushbrooke - passenger numbers are busier than ever but as usual ther is no joined up thinking
jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2012, 05:23   #6
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

Maybe it's time for IE to move past tickets
http://www.viarail.ca/en/about-via-r...ion-automation
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2012, 18:50   #7
ccos

On the 14.30 ex Cobh, Friday, no ticket office open in Cobh, no ticket checker on train and no exit check at Cork. At least 30 boarded in Cobh plus a handful at Rushbrooke. Its madness they are closing one line for lack of revenue and not collecting any on another.
ccos is offline   Reply With Quote