Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > All stops to Thurles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-07-2010, 14:59   #1
fsbgav
New to the board

Default Street Parking Warning at Thurles

When parking on the street outside Thurles car park, although there are no "Resident Only Parking" signs or yellow lines on the road, one house has decided to enforce it's own policy outside of their house (even though they do not own a car).

This involves slashing one or more of your tyres.

This happened to me twice. The 1st time I thought it was coincidence, but after the 2nd time and seeing at least one other rail user suffer it is more than random vandolism (still vandolism, just not random).

It is about the XXXX house on the right (past the turning into the old gael scoil) after the bridge over the railway as you head out towards Holycross.

I have also seen the resident arguing with someone else who parked in front of their house, so am fairly sure they are also the slasher of tyres.

It seems that many regulars already know this as the space is often left free now. This happened to me towards the end of last year and recently no-one parks there. I didn't bother going to the Garda as without evidence/proof what will can they do...

But I wanted to post a thread for the sake of others peoples tyres.

Yes, I know I should use the train car park, but at €384 (48 weeks @ €8 per week) for a years parking, I simply can't afford it.

Last edited by Colm Moore : 01-07-2010 at 15:07. Reason: Remove house identity
fsbgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 15:08   #2
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Hi, welcome to railusers.ie

I am allowing your post, but have removed the house identity - its not fair to make accusations like that without back-up.
Unread 01-07-2010, 15:21   #3
fsbgav
New to the board

Fair enough point. Obviously you are correct in that I have nothing to back up my claims.

But hopefully my post will warn others that there is a risk with parking on the street near the Thurles station.
Unread 02-07-2010, 08:41   #4
markpb

You really need to contact the Gardai - if it's a persistent offender, there are things they can do. People like that need to be dealt with.
markpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2011, 13:24   #5
fsbgav
New to the board

Since I posted this originally, there have now been 'resident only' or 'parking disc required' signs (I can't remember which, think it's the former) erected on this stretch of road, so it is no longer possible for commuters to park on this stretch of road.

Also the local council have painted double yellow lines in this area aswell, again reducing the number of free spaces adjacent to the station, outside the pay & display car park at the station - It's a conspiracy, I say!
Unread 09-09-2011, 15:03   #6
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

fsbgav - how much would you consider acceptable to park your car? How much did replacing your tyres cost?
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2011, 15:03   #7
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Parking in Thurles is dreadful, most of the traffic problems are down to careless parking and it about time some action was taken.

Nice car park on both sides of the station for 2 euro a day is bargain compared to trying to park off Liberty Square
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-09-2011, 16:26   #8
Destructix
Really Regular Poster

I actually know the person he is on about. One my mates lives up that way near Lidl. She said he came out in his boxer shorts with a baseball bat after 3 children who were playing football near the old Gael Scoile, bit of a weirdo.

That actually came up in the last town council meeting in June about parking there. He must have wrote to some councillors about it i guess.

I find the train station very competitive towards town council parking. It's €2 a day vs €1 a hour.
Destructix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-09-2011, 19:26   #9
peterh
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsbgav View Post
When parking on the street outside Thurles car park, although there are no "Resident Only Parking" signs or yellow lines on the road, one house has decided to enforce it's own policy outside of their house (even though they do not own a car).

This involves slashing one or more of your tyres.

This happened to me twice. The 1st time I thought it was coincidence, but after the 2nd time and seeing at least one other rail user suffer it is more than random vandolism (still vandolism, just not random).

It is about the XXXX house on the right (past the turning into the old gael scoil) after the bridge over the railway as you head out towards Holycross.

I have also seen the resident arguing with someone else who parked in front of their house, so am fairly sure they are also the slasher of tyres.

It seems that many regulars already know this as the space is often left free now. This happened to me towards the end of last year and recently no-one parks there. I didn't bother going to the Garda as without evidence/proof what will can they do...

But I wanted to post a thread for the sake of others peoples tyres.

Yes, I know I should use the train car park, but at €384 (48 weeks @ €8 per week) for a years parking, I simply can't afford it.
But you clearly can't risk getting your tyres slashed on a regular basis either. Why is this person so uncomfortble with people parking on this street? This person needs to get a life
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote