Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Drogheda-Balbriggan-Skerries-Donabate Line
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-03-2008, 13:46   #1
chipper
Regular Poster

Default Maybe the Wind Made It Go Really Fast?

I get the 6:46 from Drogheda to Pearse every morning. This train is scheduled to arrive at Pearse at 7:56, making a journey time of 70 minutes. This time is overrun on a daily basis with a typical journey taking 75 minutes.

This morning I arrived in Drogheda to find that the 6:31 had been delayed and was still in the station. I boarded this train which then departed at 6:43. I promptly fell asleep and woke up shortly before 7:30 to find that we were approaching Clontarf Road. This threw me completely. Surely my watch was broken or I was wrong about the location? Nope. We trundled into Connolly and then arrived in Pearse at 7:37 which gave a Drogheda - Pearse journey time of 54 minutes.

My question is how can a train leaving Drogheda at 6:46 take 70 - 75 minutes to reach Pearse when a different train can leave at 6:43 and take 54 minutes? The later train makes two extra stops but in no way should that equate to 15 - 20 minutes. I have my own ideas but do any of the Rail Users Ireland experts know how those early trains are timed or prioritised through Connolly-Pearse? There has to be a better way to run that 6:46.
chipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2008, 15:28   #2
CSL

something else must have gone wrong , allowing you to use the freed-up path into Connolly.
CSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2008, 20:33   #3
chuggachuggachoochoo
Regular Poster

Hi Chipper - I've noticed the same thing myself - I was on the 631 today and was expecting the 6:31 to get in later because of the fault in Drogheda.

It's ridiculous that the 6:46 train doesnt get in on the time that it should - maybe it is getting slowed down by DARTS taking priority at the time?

I've given up on getting the 6:46 if I miss the 6:30 - I'd get the 6:59 instead as its only about 5 mins later getting in.
chuggachuggachoochoo is offline   Reply With Quote