Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Drogheda-Balbriggan-Skerries-Donabate Line
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-09-2007, 01:08   #1
James Shields

Default Air Conditioning

The last few times I've been on the 8:32 from Drogheda it's been hot and sweaty and the air conditioning didn't seem to be on. So this morning I decided to do something about it (getting there with more than a minute to spare helped). I got on and checked the air conditioning unit, and as usual nothing seemed to be coming from it.

So I wander forward and chat to the driver, and ask could he switch on the air conditioning. He said that it was switched on. He then fiddled with a couple of buttons (presumably the old off-and-on) and said it was definitely on. He also mentioned the train had been off for a while so it mightn't have kicked in yet.

I go back to my seat, checking the aircon on my way. Still nothing from it. I expect another sweaty journey. But to my surprise, soon after we leave Drogheda I notice a nice cool breeze. By the time we reach Laytown the carriage seems nice and cool - almost too cool, though I wasn't complaining.

So whatever he did seems to have done the trick. I wonder if there are lots of 2900s driving around with the aircon off while the driver believes it to be switched on?
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2007, 08:42   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

We discussed this after the AGM

There are two air conditioning units in each coach so the odds on both failing are quite remote.

I believe James has identified the actual cause of the problem and its procedural
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote