Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Longford-Maynooth-Dunboyne-Clonsilla-Dublin line
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 27-01-2016, 13:12   #1
JohnnyBoy
New to the board

Default Leap cards for Edgeworthstown

So, I'm back on the train again (don't ask) and I've bought a monthly ticket through the taxsaver scheme in work. What's arrived is a leap card. All well and good but the leap card website (which is woefully out of date) says that you have to tag on and off or you're liable to a fine. So what's the problem? There's no validator in Edgeworthstown (or anywhere past Maynooth from what I can tell). So does this tag on/tag off routine apply to point to point cards? Be great if somebody here could tell me because Iarnrod have proved to be as useless as usual.
JohnnyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-01-2016, 13:55   #2
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBoy View Post
So, I'm back on the train again (don't ask) and I've bought a monthly ticket through the taxsaver scheme in work. What's arrived is a leap card. All well and good but the leap card website (which is woefully out of date) says that you have to tag on and off or you're liable to a fine. So what's the problem? There's no validator in Edgeworthstown (or anywhere past Maynooth from what I can tell). So does this tag on/tag off routine apply to point to point cards? Be great if somebody here could tell me because Iarnrod have proved to be as useless as usual.
Presumably you're travelling to/from Connolly or one of the city centre stations?

In that case you just validate the card when using the barriers at that station.

No action is needed at Edgeworthstown.
berneyarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-01-2016, 13:58   #3
JohnnyBoy
New to the board

Thanks Berneyarms!
Unread 27-01-2016, 15:35   #4
James Shields

As far as I know, with a point-to-point ticket you're valid to travel on the specified route. However, the first time I used my point-to-point Leap card from Drogheda, the barrier was acting up and the guy just let me through. I was confronted by a ticket inspector on that very journey, and as I hadn't tagged on, the ticket didn't show up on the RPU's scanner.

James
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-01-2016, 15:36   #5
James Howard
Really Really Regluar Poster

I've been doing exactly that from Edgeworthstown since my card changed last August without any bother. I've only been asked for a ticket once in the last 5 years and that was just because the ticket collector was dead chuffed with his new Leap card reader and wanted to show me how it worked.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2016, 10:37   #6
JohnnyBoy
New to the board

Kinda sad that I had to ask here (and some colleagues) to get that information. Asked in Edgeworthstown, Connolly (at the information desk no less) and Longford.

The answers were (in order):

1): Leap card?
2): Call taxsaver (sersiously, the only way that guy could have been any more disinterested in helping me would have been if he'd been asleep).
3): Incorrect information (it was my wife who enquired in Longford so it's second hand and they did at least have some clue and try to help)
Unread 01-02-2016, 10:47   #7
Dublin13
Regular Poster

To be fair to that guy though, he's far from the only one with an attitude like that.
Dublin13 is offline   Reply With Quote