Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Longford-Maynooth-Dunboyne-Clonsilla-Dublin line
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 16-10-2006, 18:14   #1
ThomasJ

Default Maynooth line timetable dec 2006

Hi guys Just wondering is there any news on additional maynooth or longford services in the december 2006? the morning services really are bad at the moment this morning the 7.57 ex coolmine was worst than usual and this is a nightmare train. Hopefully a gap or two can be filled. A few extra off peak wouldnt go astray either. Any word on off peak or sunday which they need to add a few.
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-10-2006, 18:59   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

No chance in the morning, the afternoon gap most likely will stay they are constrained by rolling stock

Sunday hasn't been a real success Maynooth line compared to Drogheda, Kildare line is getting a pitiful Sunday service, IE don't care about Sunday

The timetable will be finalised in the next 2 weeks, what I've seen doesn't look good for all concerned
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-10-2006, 21:03   #3
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

Wiil next years timetable not take the docklands station into account? ie more services?
Mark Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-10-2006, 21:22   #4
ThomasJ

Cheers for that mark maybe there might be extra services when spencer dock opens i cant see how phoenix park station can open with the current situation the morning situation really is bad will the last service on a sunday still be 6.30 and on a weeknight still 10.30

Last edited by ThomasJ : 16-10-2006 at 21:27.
Unread 17-10-2006, 20:25   #5
John J
Regular Poster

So no early service for Sligo customers - and Longford / Mullingar commuters will still have to stop at every station in the morning?
No surprises there then.

Keep the info rolling please - I'm considering renting in Dublin this year instead of the annual ticket, as I've had my fill of commuting - any timetable info could swing the vote.
John J is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-10-2006, 20:55   #6
James Shields

As far as I know, Docklands station comes onstream in May 2007. I'm not sure why, as the station seems to be coming together nicely. The buiilding looks like it could easily be ready in time for the December timetable.

I'm guessing the problem is signalling and/or rolling stock. We know it would be possible to get extra trains into Connolly if the stock was available.

With the arrival of the IC DMUs, some of the commuter railcars should become available for commuters again. I can't see this leading for more than a few extra peak time services on each of the main commuter routes. The big change probably won't happen until the Maynooth line is electrified and you get the DART.
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-10-2006, 10:07   #7
colmoc

So when does the dartifiaction of the maynooth line occur,
I'm looking at buying a house on this line and timelines, freaquency, sunday improvements, late night early morning improvements would be nice to know.
I presume it is years away as with everything else
colmoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-10-2006, 20:43   #8
ThomasJ

Default Maynooth line

There is a letter on joan burtons website in which michael power responded to joan burtons letter re. The 'appaling delays' on monday and tuesday. In the latter half of the letter mr power states that there will be additional services as well as some service enhancements. He said in the letter that the plans are at final stage and will be available shortly
Unread 19-10-2006, 20:49   #9
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

In March and given zero extra coaches I'd love to see how it will be done
Unread 19-10-2006, 21:20   #10
ThomasJ

Sorry i should have said that he said that spencer dock would be open in march
Unread 20-10-2006, 12:18   #11
sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson
In March and given zero extra coaches I'd love to see how it will be done
they could start by giving the Mk2d a final overhaul and putting them back on the IC lines out of Connolly, and giving the commuter trains to the commuters ...
sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20-10-2006, 13:43   #12
comcor
Really Regular Poster

Location: Cork-Dublin, Cork Commuter and occasionally DART and Dublin-Wexford

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean
they could start by giving the Mk2d a final overhaul and putting them back on the IC lines out of Connolly, and giving the commuter trains to the commuters ...
And a few other places.

Mallow-Killarney/Tralee
Limerick-Limerick Junction.

Mallow-Tralee is actually a very long journey to be stuck on a commuter rail car. It would be doing the users of both services a favour.
comcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21-10-2006, 13:38   #13
James Shields

I doubt any Mk2s will be coming back into service, but it's just possible that some of the Mk3s from the Cork line will allow IE to scrounge a railcar or two for a token service to Spencer Dock.

As far as I know the IC DMUs will start arriving in mid 2007, and barring further industrial action, should enter service towards the end of the year. As far as I know the first lines to get them are Sligo and Roslare, which should free up about 24 commuter coaches for other purposes.

This would suggest that the December 2007 timetable will be the first time that the Docklands station sees significant use.

It is starting to look quite impressive, though.

Name:  spencerdock20061020.jpg
Views: 998
Size:  59.9 KB
Unread 21-10-2006, 19:46   #14
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

The new IC railcars are due to hit the December 2007 timetable, now given what happend with the CDE's i'd susupect they wont go into service next year at all.

Sligo will definitly get them, more than likely aiing for December next year, Rosslare will not get them, ever, from what I know.

As for Mk3's, those being taken off Cork are going to the Limerick service which is going every two hours this December and also to Galway apart from the City Golds, which we expect to see heading to the Belfast line.

Mk2ds - the entire Connolly collection is now running from Heuston, and you'll have noticed a lot of carraiges hanging around there and Inchicore. In theory they could go back to the sligo service or be used as back up for failed enterprise services but I fell the decision is made, within 18 months they'll be gone.

The slio commuter railcar should go to Kildare/Maynooth/Pace services.

If you llive in Maynooth or Leixlip dont forget the 66X Bus is a very very good service.
Unread 24-10-2006, 22:19   #15
ThomasJ

Just wondering from what you are seeing will off peak remain the same particulary the last train during the week and on a sunday
Unread 24-10-2006, 22:28   #16
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasJ
Just wondering from what you are seeing will off peak remain the same particulary the last train during the week
Yeah the last train at 2230 is consistly very busy Mon-Fri, I would love a train around 23 - 23:15 but I doubt we will get it in this timetable.

Last edited by Mark Hennessy : 24-10-2006 at 23:17.
Mark Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-10-2006, 23:15   #17
ThomasJ

Arrow

It really is mad that there cant be a later train. There was a suggestion that there should be a last train at 11.00-11.15 to sit in maynooth overnight an earlier train is needed as the current 1st train in the morning from maynooth is one of the worst
Unread 24-10-2006, 23:46   #18
James Shields

The 23:20 to Drogheda has been quite successful, especially on Thurs/Fri/Sat. I have on occasion been on this train and there's been standing room only. I expect there would be plenty of demand for a similar service to Maynooth. There shouldn't be any problem with rolling stock at that time, but the problem may be where the trains need to be for the morning rush, but having the train stay inMaynooth for the first morning train seems sensible.
Unread 08-11-2006, 17:27   #19
ThomasJ

Michael power of iarnrod eireann was present at a local dublin 15 transport meeting last night organised by the local labour td joan burton. He mentioned there was extra off peak amd a late night service and additional sunday services for maynooth in the new mid january timetable he also mentioned 12th march as opening date of docklands station with additional trains between clonsilla and dockland
Unread 08-11-2006, 17:36   #20
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

He didn't tell you the Clonsilla Docklands service will be run by a 2 coach railcar which should be serious fun

Bare in mind the timetable has been put on hold till at least Jan 13, may be delayed even further beyond that so no later night pints and train home over Christmas