Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Events, Happenings and Media
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 16-07-2008, 19:54   #1
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Default [article] Couple bring court case over Luas noise claims

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Times
Couple bring court case over Luas noise claims
A couple whose home in south Dublin is close to the Luas green line have claimed before the High Court they have been exposed to very serious and aggravating noise on a daily basis since the Luas went into operation four years ago.

Paula and Vincent Smyth, of Cambridge Terrace, Leeson Park, Dublin, have brought proceedings against the Railway Procurement Agency and Veolia Transport Ireland Ltd, who operate the Luas on behalf of the agency. The Attorney General is a notice party to the case.

The couple want injunctions restraining the defendants operating the Luas in a manner that causes a noise nuisance and requiring them to erect an appropriate barrier to reduce the noise. They are also seeking damages.

The defendants deny the claims, contend the Luas is being operated in accordance with the terms of the Transport Light Rail Acts of 1996 and 2001 and also plead that the operation of the Luas under those Acts cannot as a matter of law give rise to the nuisance alleged.

Opening the case before Ms Justice Mary Laffoy today, Seamus Woulfe SC, for the couple, said their enjoyment of their home has been severely undermined and compromised due to noise from the Luas since it began operating in July 2004.

He said the Smyth’s back garden was in close proximity to elevated sections of the Luas Line running between Sandyford and St Stephens Green.

During the planning stages of the Luas in the late 1990’s the Smyths, who have lived at Leeson Park since 1992, believed special noise reduction screens would be erected at certain sensitive locations where the light rail would pass, counsel said.

The Smyths, based on an undertaking by RPA, had a legitimate expectation measures would be put in place to reduce noise levels to within acceptable levels, he said.

However, the failure to install the noise reduction screen had exposed the Smyths to very serious and aggravating noise which totally disrupted their enjoyment of their home. A tram passed their home 330 times between 5.30am and 12.30am every weekday and 254 times daily at the weekend.

The Smyths were unable to enjoy their garden or hold a conversation when a tram passes due to the noise. The glass in the kitchen area vibrated when a Luas passed and it was impossible to entertain guests, counsel said.

The most significant problem was that they were unable to sleep properly at night or in the early morning, he added. Their bedroom faced onto the Luas embankment and they regularly had to sleep with the windows shut and with ear plugs.

A consultant engineer who measured the noise levels from the operation of the Luas found those levels within their home exceeded acceptable or guideline measurements for residential areas. Counsel also argued the defendants did not have an immunity under the Transport Acts from being sued in the matter.

The case is expected to last several days.
© 2008 irishtimes.com
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-07-2008, 18:34   #2
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Interesting. While Luas is elevated at this location, the rear of the houses on Cambridge terrace are 50-70m from the line. http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...cl=1&encType=1

Of course, "Cambridge Terrace, Leeson Park, Dublin" is a posh way of saying Ranelagh.
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-07-2008, 19:27   #3
geraghtyg
New to the board

Feckin snobs. They should be grateful they don't live where I live. I'm near the airport and when the wind blows from the east, the planes take off a little over a kilometre away and pass almost overhead at full throttle....now thats a lot of noise. And do you know what? I have never thought of suing.....I've just got used to the noise. I often walk down the pathway right beside the tram line on Davitt Road at lunchtime when working. The path is immediately adjacent to the line and the tracks are at about my eye level. When a tram passes, it does indeed make noise. But considering that it is less than 3 metres from my ears, I can still hold a conversation with anyone who may be with me or anyone on the phone. Those people are taking the piss.....unless they live at the end of their VERY long garden.
geraghtyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-07-2008, 20:59   #4
chris
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
certain sensitive locations
Yes, D4 and D6...ahem.

Unfortunately, the aeroplanes can make as much noise as they like if it doesn't amount to negligence, because express legislative authority is a defence (s55 Air Navigation and Transport Act 1936 (as amended))

A railway order isn't primary legislation, but I still don't rate their chances...
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-07-2008, 13:41   #5
Aphfaneire
Regular Poster

Please i went to school in ranelagh my whole life and have visited a flat near that section of the luas a few times and the sound is not that bad!

You hear a woosh each time it pass's, and this flat was far closer than those house's. Its a very cramped area on the western side of the track and Neighbours are far noisier than the Luas
Unread 23-07-2008, 14:07   #6
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

I live next to the DART line (and I mean close ~12m), don't hear anything, thankfully have no windows facing the railway. In fact I have to actually concentrate on listening for a train to actually hear one pass
Unread 29-07-2008, 04:23   #7
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

in fairness, the airport was probably there before you were, but if RPA went around making commitments they should be made honour them.
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2010, 14:28   #8
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

And they lost

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0305/luas.html