Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-10-2015, 14:32   #1
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Its something we have raised several times, the safety aspect was a source of serious concern and this was delaying trains as people had to climb over abandoned bikes.

The bike rack was designed in response to complaints by RUI and others but we did not have input in the design, we simply were shown the completed item.

To be completely clear all of us here at Rail Users Ireland support carrying bikes on trains but we are realistic as to the rush hour situation. Taking out more seats isn't going to work.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14-10-2015, 15:10   #2
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Its something we have raised several times, the safety aspect was a source of serious concern and this was delaying trains as people had to climb over abandoned bikes.

The bike rack was designed in response to complaints by RUI and others but we did not have input in the design, we simply were shown the completed item.

To be completely clear all of us here at Rail Users Ireland support carrying bikes on trains but we are realistic as to the rush hour situation. Taking out more seats isn't going to work.

yeah well i'm still waiting for the motorbike rack i suggested at the time to be implemented.
Unread 19-10-2015, 11:19   #3
James Shields

I've occasionally carried bikes on the 7:22 from Drogheda, which is operated by a 22K Intercity DMU. I asked staff at the station beforehand, and they said no problem, as it's an Intercity train. The only difficulty is that you never know which end of the train the bike rack will be at (it's normally a pair of 3-car sets, so there could be one at each end, two in the middle, or one at the end and one at the middle), so if I guess wrong I have to run for the correct location.

I tried the same on the 16:44 from Pearse, but staff there told me that although it was an Intercity train, it was a commuter service, so bikes are not allowed.

James
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-10-2015, 12:51   #4
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The Connolly side is an issue alright.

We do need a very clear indication of the bike rack location on the coach side
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-10-2015, 12:53   #5
James Shields

There is a bicycle sticker on the door nearest the bike rack, but it's quite small. I've often seen bikes stuffed in the doorwell of 22Ks.

James
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-10-2015, 15:01   #6
James Howard
Really Really Regluar Poster

Is there an operational reason why 22K trains are randomly arranged or was it just one of those little details that Irish Rail couldn't be bothered with sorting out when putting the sets together in the first place.

It is a minor inconvenience for most people but a more serious problem for people with poor mobility when they have no idea where the accessible car is going to end up.

The bicycle and wheelchair stickers are ridiculously hard to see, being tiny and stuck onto the inside of the tinted glass in the doorway.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-10-2015, 15:27   #7
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster

It cannot be helped, trains get turned on certain routes Waterford/Limerick/WRC etc while units change regularly at Heuston/Connolly etc while the joiners can be very sensitive and dont join up (or not allowed to be joined until repaired at times).

You cannot change this however I don't think bike/wheelchair thing is a major issue, the end coach with a full line of windows and a small gap between them and doors is the bike and the end coach with no windoe some distance from the doors is the wheelchair coach.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote