Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 25-05-2008, 21:17   #1
undo

Default What to do when you can't get a ticket?

I have a very simple question... what should I do when I want to get the train but cannot get a ticket at the station?

I walked from the city to Clonsilla today and wanted to take the 8:58pm train back (last one of the day according to IÉ's website). Unfortunately, the station building was closed so I couldn't access the ticket counter or machines. What should I do in this case? It's a commuter train, so I don't expect there is any staff on board that could sell me a ticket. Maybe there is some bylaw that says I am grand for I couldn't get a ticket. But how would that help me if I get to Connolly and have nothing to put into the exit validation machine?

I ended up chancing it, taking the train without a ticket - and got off at Broombridge to make sure I would not run into the exit validation trap closer to the city. Of course, that meant I had to walk all the way from Broombridge. This just can't be right.

Also, speaking of Broombridge, that station doesn't seem to have even one sign advertising its name or even the fact that it is a train station. There are no schedules posted there and certainly no ticket machines. What's up with that? How is one supposed to get a ticket there?
undo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-05-2008, 21:18   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

As we have posted numerous times, if a station is closed or unstaffed you are fully and legally entitled to travel without a ticket either pay on the train or at destination
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-05-2008, 21:22   #3
undo

Thanks for the quick reply. One thing I should have tried is the blue "info" button at the station - I wonder if the person it would have connected me to would have given me the correct answer as well.

My second question still stands though - what's up with Broombridge? Why isn't there even a single station sign there?
Unread 25-05-2008, 21:27   #4
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Locals stole or burned it

There is a timetable on the Dublin bound side, well there was last time I was there
Unread 25-05-2008, 21:28   #5
undo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Locals stole or burned it
I guess the website that recommended the Royal Canal Walk was right - it's a beautiful walk during the day, but avoid it at night for the locals.
Unread 25-05-2008, 22:14   #6
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by undo View Post
I guess the website that recommended the Royal Canal Walk was right - it's a beautiful walk during the day, but avoid it at night for the locals.
You would want to be very brave to walk that area at night

Being on the train when the locals are congregated on the platform at night can be pretty interesting too.
Mark Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-05-2008, 22:19   #7
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

This thread has all the background http://www.railusers.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=526
Unread 25-05-2008, 22:41   #8
undo

Reading through that thread gives me the creeps. I walked along the canal from Ashtown to Broombridge around midnight one day for I was on a random walk around town and had no idea the area was "somewhat" dodgy.
Unread 23-07-2008, 09:58   #9
brianw82
New to the board

On a similar note, does anyone know why Castleknock is always closed? On 2 occasions last week, I went there at 14.45 and it was closed. It's the middle of the day!

Great if you're going to Maynooth though - free trip.
brianw82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-07-2008, 14:28   #10
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Well you should pay at Maynooth
Unread 26-07-2008, 18:16   #11
ThomasJ

That is of course unless your station is closed. Imagine going ashtown to clonsilla on a sunday or on a late night!

Surely Something will be done about this once the line has been electrified. You cant have a dart service with half the stations on the line closed!
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote