Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Rosslare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 25-10-2007, 09:02   #1
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Default Train late

Rosslare service 20mins late arriving into Gorey this morning the reason - Unknown. Train going about 55mph to Enniscorthy. There was no heating on because by God it was cold

Last edited by KSW : 12-12-2007 at 18:51.
KSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-10-2007, 09:51   #2
packetswitch

Great way to celebrate what has probably been one of the iciest of mornings this autumn. Might be worth telling your local paper, a letter or something: 'given that there was no heating on a chilly October morning, is this Iarnród Éireann's way of preparing us for a winter without heating' or something.
packetswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-10-2007, 08:45   #3
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Train was early, The 14:05 from Wexford was 7mins early arriving and departed bang on time. We arrived into Enniscorthy 19mins and Gorey I think 18mins. Can this section be upgraded for faster times.

Last edited by KSW : 12-12-2007 at 18:53.
Unread 06-01-2008, 18:37   #4
KSW
Really Regular Poster

The 08:52 Rosslare Connolly service failed today the train number 29005 was due to brake trouble passengers were bussed the rest of the way. Question - If a train fails would it usually appear on IE website? OR Just once there is some kind of transport available
Unread 06-01-2008, 19:59   #5
JamesK
New to the board

When I arrived at Wicklow today on the 0949 ex Connolly, passengers for the northbound service were waiting at the station forecourt for the substitute bus. The failed unit passed northwards through Newcastle at 13.15 which suggests that it crossed the down train at Enniscorthy.

It is lucky that this did not happen Monday to Friday when the numbers inconvenienced would have been many times greater.
JamesK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2008, 14:57   #6
Edward Ryan
Regular Poster

Busses were provided from Enniscorthy yesterday morning as the train was broken in Enniscorthy with brake problems. The train (a 29 type) passed Gorey empty around 12.30 and seemed to be struggling.

Ed
Edward Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-01-2008, 12:53   #7
sublimity
Really Regular Poster

I would love to see a locomotive hauled train on the rosslare line between now and the introduction of the 22ks. i was just thinking last night will we ever see a locomotive on this line again?
sublimity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-01-2008, 13:00   #8
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublimity View Post
I would love to see a locomotive hauled train on the rosslare line between now and the introduction of the 22ks. i was just thinking last night will we ever see a locomotive on this line again?
yeah, that sort of thing keeps me awake till the small hours.

The announcement on such things is now being updated, please read, thanks,but as you are new you mightn't have seen it, it's ok. Welcome, thrice welcome, BTW.
Unread 06-02-2008, 22:31   #9
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Tonight's evening Rosslare service was 20mins late arriving into Gorey but its due to the match so we have to accept that .
Apologies if I come across hard ->
I am sick of the standard of the Rosslare line it gets treated unfairly. Just because the line has the least number of passengers which I felt tonight being the only passenger in the last coach. The Rosslare line has to be the worst operated line feel free to disagree but thats what I see everytime I travel on any of its services.
Why was the Rosslare line not up to scratch fro the 201 class locomotives and the mk3 push pull's. Is there actually prove that behond Arklow it cant take the weight of a 201 class. Can the 071 class locomotives not do the push pull mode?
I am sick to the back bone of all services stopping at Tara,Pearse,Dun Laoghaire I know several people that have stopped using the train and who are now driving and in some cases arriving into Dublin much earlier than the train. This is a problem regards the Rosslare line by right Intercity standard should be at least 80m.p.h on every route even if that means tilting the track. This morning on the 08:50 service which by the way was 15mins running late because the driver was driving way to slow. After Bray he was driving if not the same speed from there the rest of the way . I am serioulsy thinking of driving I feel sorry for the passengers that have no choice but to take the train.. Seen alot of people for the bus this morning I think IE should advertise this route when all the new trains come into action. The time keeping on this route is beginning to be very poor the trains are at least 10mins late or 20mins every time - Enough with the padding already!!

I noticed that the trains travel at crawling pace at every level crossing to Connolly and the oppsite direction the gates are closed in good time of the train approaching the level cossing so why does this happen?

I dont want to come across as a mood killer but its so frustrating when it keeps happening.
Unread 06-02-2008, 22:55   #10
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

KSW:
Quote:
Is there actually prove that behond Arklow it cant take the weight of a 201 class
- they could prove it the hard way but I doubt the fun police would be amused especially after the Cahir collapse
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2008, 23:53   #11
zag
Regular Poster

Default Rosslare line is a joke

Every year the zag family decamp down to Rosslare Strand for a bit of lolling about on the beach.

Every year we consider taking the train down, given that we live within spitting distance of the Rosslare line.

And every year I have to remind myself that we could drive down, stop in Arklow for tea and buns, stop in Courtown for some amusements and *still* be faster than the train.

The schedule is a joke and nobody with any value on their time would take the train when they could take the bus or drive faster. And cheaper.

z
zag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2008, 00:12   #12
James Shields

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas J Stamp View Post
yeah, that sort of thing keeps me awake till the small hours.
Yeah, I bet you wish you hadn't bought a house next to the loco shed now. :-)
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2008, 18:57   #13
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

To KSW: 201s will collapse the line and bridges on that part of the track, that is well-known, and there are line speed restrictions as well as acceleration and deceleration requirements in the suburban area. 29000s ain't DARTs.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2008, 13:15   #14
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zag View Post
And every year I have to remind myself that we could drive down, stop in Arklow for tea and buns, stop in Courtown for some amusements and *still* be faster than the train.

The schedule is a joke and nobody with any value on their time would take the train when they could take the bus or drive faster. And cheaper.
The service is behond a joke, There is alreday potential there for the journey to go 2hr30 from Connolly to Rosslare and not 2hr50mins and in some cases 3hrs its only 105miles. Same with Gorey to Dublin 1hr25min & 1hr30mins can be done as I've withnessed this over the years!!
Unread 08-02-2008, 14:00   #15
ThomasJ

It's fairly obvious that the busy DART line is having a huge impact on Gorey/Rosslare services but that is asking alot to impact on that line, what is clear is that in order to get a fast direct Rosslare train you need a clear run on the Southside DART section of about 15-20 minutes gap departing connolly (take for example the 13:05 connolly rosslare europort the fastest of the lot - there is 16 minute gap between last southbound DART before that departs connolly- but that is afternoon!) but that is asking alot at peak evening hours

Take for example the 5th May 2008, the new 16:40 Connolly Gorey runs non-stop from Pearse to Bray at 16:46 taking 36 minutes.(arrives Bray 17:22)

The DART that runs ahead of it departing Pearse at 16:40 (taking in 14 stops) takes 39 minutes to get to bray, (arrives Bray 17:19)

For a non-stop train to be only 3 minutes faster than a train (ok maybe more efficient as electric) that makes 14 stops is incredible. That 16:40 train is going to be some train it would almost be better to put in more stops. I'm glad I don't have to take that train!!!

Last edited by ThomasJ : 08-02-2008 at 14:12.
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2008, 14:24   #16
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

This entire thing is a joke. I have spoken before of stopping Rosslare Trains in Pearse, the more I think about it the more I think they actually stop in Bray. This may become a reality post Interconnector, in fact.

Think about it, in any decent system the Rosslare trains would be segregated all the wway into the city, four track or even three tracked. Same on the Northern line. In fact IE are doing this with the KRP. They cant do this on the DART line, there is no room. The DART was a model idea when it started, it was s set system much like the Luas is. It was only when they started shoving trains from Rosslare, Droug and Mullingar into the system that things ended up as bollocked up as they are now.

If you have a proper singaling system, and DARTS every 2 min during rush hour you would stop all Railcars at Howth Junction and Bray and there would be capacity in the system. As I said, post interconnector, post DASH2, this is maybe what you'll get. Maybe you'll get what DART is actually supposed to stand for - Rapid Transit. In this vein, not extending the DART line to Drougheda/Dundalk is nuts. As nuts as stopping the KRP in Hazelhatch actually.

Edit to add:

This is of course breaking my own rule on infrastructural posts. It's Friday after all. I'll move all such to the members section over the weekend.
Unread 08-02-2008, 14:50   #17
ThomasJ

ThomasJstamp on the point you made regarding transferring passengers, in an interview with CIE Chairman John Lynch said the following which made sort of some sense but more for your reasons than his

Extract taken from: http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/...story25645.asp (taken last august)

Quote:
The increasing number of passengers using the Arklow and Gorey lines to Dublin is also proving somewhat problematic for the state company, as extending rail lines on windy coastal tracks is not practical or possible.

As a result, CIE management are considering providing a transfer service from Arklow and Gorey to Greystones for the onward journey to Dublin.

‘‘People don’t like having to change trains, but if it means we can increase the services from these areas, it is worth it,” Lynch said.

‘‘The demand on commuter lines has shot up and we are doing our best to cater for this in every way.”
Unread 08-02-2008, 15:01   #18
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The Rosslare line was never designed with speed in mind, Dublin Cork and indeed Dublin Kilkenny where.

The Rosslare line is affectionately known as the damn slow and easy railway, the alternative to its correct Dublin and South Eastern Railway.

As I have stated numerous times the cost to sort out the Rosslare line is in the order of several hundred million and the return is even worse than the WRC
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2008, 15:28   #19
ThomasJ

But seriously mark surely there would be more on offer for gorey-rosslare passengers if their services went from bray or greystones (ie more services)

as much as people wouldn't like going to bray to get their train it cant be much worse than it already is. maybe if the three rosslare services went from dublin and there was a gorey commuter connection at bray.

Last edited by ThomasJ : 08-02-2008 at 15:30.
Unread 08-02-2008, 22:17   #20
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas J Stamp View Post
This entire thing is a joke. I have spoken before of stopping Rosslare Trains in Pearse,
Think about it, in any decent system the Rosslare trains would be segregated all the wway into the city,
If you have a proper singaling system,
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasJ View Post
It's fairly obvious that the busy DART line is having a huge impact on Gorey/Rosslare services but that is asking alot to impact on that line, what is clear is that in order to get a fast direct Rosslare train you need a clear run on the Southside DART section of about 15-20 minutes gap departing connolly.
For a non-stop train to be only 3 minutes faster than a train!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
The Rosslare line was never designed with speed in mind, As I have stated numerous times the cost to sort out the Rosslare line is in the order of several hundred million and the return is even worse than the WRC
If IE had a proper system in place then they would have any of Rosslare trains changing tracks nunberous times to achieve faster jorney times from Connolly to Bray. I know it would impact on Dart's but with precise location and changing the points back correctly then I dont see that as impossible. If there was any such in place then a train from Connolly for Rosslare at 13:10 the previous train(Dart) was at 13:05 and before that 12:55 the Rosslare would travel the wrong track and change back in at Pearse this creating a by-pass of the Dart train and not having passengers at Connolly waiting for 20mins therefore waiting for max 7mins for the next Dart to Bray.... The Dart train would be at Tara Street and the Rosslare train would pass it out change back into the correct track there would be another dart at Pearse waiting for the green - Is this so hard!! etc down to Bray.. Creating 25mins for the journey.

Mark G, Of course you mentioned it a number of times on different threads but the potential is already there. I know you said by private messaging me that you cant do best times between stations but if you dont do this the line wont learn so to speak.

Last edited by KSW : 08-02-2008 at 22:20.