Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Rosslare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-12-2007, 14:22   #1
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Default Change at Enniscorthy

What's the point in having people change at Enniscorthy on several services in the new timetable? Is there anything wrong with direct running from Connolly to Rosslare or are they going to bounce a 2-car 2700 between Enniscorthy and Rosslare Europort?
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2007, 14:41   #2
packetswitch

As far as I can figure out it's a clever way to add extra services given that trains need to start and finish from a certain point and we still only have one track with limited crossing points. But it certainly seems bizarre. In particular the 0544 from Arklow to Rosslare Harbour! (Technically I suppose it's nice from a ferry point of view but it's hardly going to be the most packed journey on the network...)
packetswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2007, 19:29   #3
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Well to the best we can work out the 5:44 out of Arklow actually runs empty the whole way from Connolly leaving Connolly at 4:10 am running non stop apart from a brief pause at Bray

Missed opportunity there, Connolly is staffed 24 hours a day as is Bray bit of business possibly to be had for no extra cost
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2007, 19:38   #4
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Arrow

That does seem wired but its another service from Connolly to Wexford and also the 18:37 whick is good. I cant see why the 17:25 service cant go the whole way. Gorey doesnt need a late train to Dublin its handy but not needed. There is I'm guessing 2 people sometimes none and say another 7-10 along the route. Guessing less than €100 is this worth while. The emepty Connolly to Gorey (ex Gorey-Sligo) train in the early hours of the morning how much fuel does it waste travelling down? Will it be the same case for the 05:35 Rosslare-Dundalk. I am disappointed that the journey times were not even knocked by 5mins. The 13:05 is the only train time I like because its a different time, Is the times ever going to be changed? The 15:50 Limerick Jnct-Waterford-Rosslare Europort-Enniscorthy train it will travel none time for nearly 4hrs and 10mins wait at Enniscorthy and its off again back to Rosslare the poor train .... P.S-> The Arklow 05:44 Rosslare train is not going to be a good service I reckon, Maybe it will be a 2car 2700 train God love the poor passengers... I hope the 06:00 from Wexford will turn out to be a good service with a fair amount of passengers onboard.
KSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2007, 19:41   #5
KSW
Really Regular Poster

P.S->
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Well to the best we can work out the 5:44 out of Arklow actually runs empty the whole way from Connolly leaving Connolly at 4:10 am running non stop apart from a brief pause at Bray
I would love to ask the driver long does it take from Connolly to Bray at that hour and Bray to Arklow non-stop !!

Last edited by KSW : 08-12-2007 at 20:13.
Unread 08-12-2007, 20:06   #6
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Its
Connolly 04:30
Bray 04:55/04:56
Arklow 05:42

There is a also a 04:10 empty for the 6am Gorey Sligo

And that will be a 6 coach 2800 set, the 2700 trips back to Rosslare to be there for the 7:05 to Waterford

What is happening is the 2800 which normally leaves Rosslare 7:40 leaves now at 5:35 and runs to Dundalk. The 4:30 from Connolly goes to Rosslare to run the 7:40

Probably would make more sense for the 17:35 to Enniscourty to go the whole way to Rosslare and the Limerick/Waterford/Rosslare/Enniscourty to continue to Dublin

If the driver issue was sorted the morning Gorey Sligo (soon to be just Connolly) could go down at 10pm solving the ghost train
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2007, 20:23   #7
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Ahh !! Thats why Iarnrod Eireann added the 05:44 service to Rosslare they had'nt any train for the 07:40 service.. So it doesnt matter if there are no passengers from Arklow/Gorey/Enniscorthy/Wexford it needs to operate the 07:40.