Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > DART
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-08-2008, 07:48   #1
Colm R
Regular Poster

Default [12/08/2008] Clontarf Road - Doors Locked

Still seething from this mornings events - anger is the only way I can describe things.

I arrived at Clontarf Road Station between 06:15 and 06:20 to get the next train southbound at 06:25. There was approx 15 people outside the station as the doors were locked.

There was nothing anyone could do as the 06:25 arrived. I wonder was the driver curious as to why there was nobody on the platform.

Obviously a few people got off the train and made there way down. As the approached the door, it opened. (Automatic doors) Obviously the sensor on the outside was not turned on. Everyone ran up the stairs but it was too late.

I didn't have the option of waiting 22 minutes for the next train as I had to get to work so I turned back and headed out to find a taxi. Most people who travel this early need to be somewhere at a specific time.

As I passed the ticket office I could see someone between the blinds. I shouted, "I can see you, why were the doors locked". To which a reply came back, "F**k off". I was seething but didn't have time and continued out of the station.

In the car park, I was so angry I turned around and went back in. In fairness, this was not a good idea on my part but anger had taken over. However the doors had closed and would not open for me again.

In the end I got a taxi, €11 and wasn't really late for work. But still shocked as to this mornings events. I would normally leave this go, but when the person behind the counter said what he said, I am going to complain.

As for the other people there, I do not know how they got on. However I would recognise most of them. We are all regulars for this train. Might have a chat with some of them tomorrow morning.

I'm going to start with a phone call this morning. Does anyone know who in Irish Rail I should call.
Colm R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2008, 07:58   #2
markpb

I wonder if that's the same guy who, when the Dart was having problems on Saturday, pulled down the blinds and left at 6pm leaving no information about what was operating.
markpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2008, 08:02   #3
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Thats not on

Ok so the doors could be defective (always open when I've passed through) but the language thrown back at you is utterly unacceptable. Certainly looks like a case of staff laziness which would fit with the general experience of Clontarf Rd

DART office is 01 703 3504 is thats no joy let me know

Irish Rail where negligent, you where there in time, the train was in time. Remember Irish Rail have a history of locking passengers out, Killarney, Docklands etc

You will have to put in writing if you want your 11 euro back
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2008, 08:07   #4
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

Once again regular passengers get shafted by staff laziness. The abuse you got from the guy is obviously not on but IE will deny that their staff would ever act like that.

Colm, I was given grief by a well complained about guy in Maynooth station, I put it all in writing and got money back that was owed to me because of staff incompetence.

Put it all in writing, we can give you the names of the right people to contact.
Mark Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2008, 13:27   #5
bobbyb
New to the board

Default Locked Doors

Hi folks as far as in aware the rail security co are in charge of opening a lot of the dart stations inc clontarf rd also some on the maynooth line
bobbyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2008, 14:13   #6
Colm R
Regular Poster

I've calmed down a lot since this morning. I reported the incident to the phone number provided by Mark. Very pleasant lady took the call and logged the complaint for me.

I was called back about 10 minutes later after she spoke to the Station Master. She informed that there was an issue with the door that morning and the security company did not open it or failed to show up.

She advised that the person behind the desk was attempting to override the system to allow the door to open. Whilst I don't believe this, I advised her that all this person had to do was to approach the door from the inside.

Regarding the profanity used, she apologiesed on his behalf.
Colm R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2008, 14:47   #7
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

Quote:
She advised that the person behind the desk was attempting to override the system to allow the door to open. Whilst I don't believe this, I advised her that all this person had to do was to approach the door from the inside.

Regarding the profanity used, she apologiesed on his behalf.
The point is still that a considerable group of commuters were put out this morning because of this.

Attempting to "override the system" whilst hiding away or coming into view and trying to explain to passengers that the doors were locked.

Now what would a customer focused railway do?

Colm, I still suggest you put this one in writing, if only so they can revisit their "overriding" procedures
Mark Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2008, 14:56   #8
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

We have a automatic door here at my office and from the inside a simple button push will lock the doors in the fully open position. The controls would be on the top of the door on the inside, not buried 10 feet away.

Sounds like a very complicated excuse really. Of course if any customer service initiative had been shown, what of the fire exit doors.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2008, 15:17   #9
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
We have a automatic door here at my office and from the inside a simple button push will lock the doors in the fully open position. The controls would be on the top of the door on the inside, not buried 10 feet away.
same in Heuston, saw them locking the doors open on Saturday as the water poured in where the new roof has a small gap beside the enterence to the Galway Hooker, they needed to sweep the water out.
Unread 12-08-2008, 15:34   #10
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm R View Post
I was called back about 10 minutes later after she spoke to the Station Master. She informed that there was an issue with the door that morning and the security company did not open it or failed to show up.
So how did the staff member get in? Is there a separate entrance?

Quote:
Most auto doors have 3 settings:
1. Lock open.
2. Lock closed.
3. Automatic opening.
Its a simple matter of setting 1-2-3, much like an alarm clock (its simpler than an alarm clock as it isn't time dependent) or immersion heater.

That set seems to have a (plausible) extra setting
4. Automatic opening from the inside only (needed for fire escape when the station is nominally closed).

In Parkwest, there are external key points for the doors - set on the post in this photo. http://www.railusers.ie/forum/attach...0&d=1218431244

In this picture you can see the typical passive infre red (PIR) detectors that control these doors. I can't see an internal control panel, but I wasn't taking a picture of it. http://www.railusers.ie/forum/attach...4&d=1218431309

Similar external view http://www.railusers.ie/forum/attach...8&d=1218431378
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2008, 18:59   #11
Jack O'Neill
Regular Poster

Surely all the "overriding" staff member had to do was walk up to the offending doors and they would have opened, as the exiting passengers did?

Such profanities as spoken of are inexcusable.
Jack O'Neill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2008, 20:55   #12
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Possibly different doors, but looking at Heuston this evening, they appeared only to have a local over-ride (a light-switch-type button) and not a proper control panel, which must be somewhere else.
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2008, 22:29   #13
clockwork orange
Regular Poster

I have to say that type of response is absolutly inexcusable. I would document all this if I was you. The door thing MIGHT be understandable but this man's response to you is outrageous and he deserves to be sacked for it, end of. I know IR can be bad with giving information to passengers but this really is exceptionally rude.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote