Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > DART
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-10-2006, 06:06   #1
alanperkins
New to the board

Default why was the Greystones DART service a bad idea ?

Apologies if this has been answered already.

I've long been curious (especially as a Greystones resident), why is the DART service to Greystones considered such a stupid idea around here ? I think it's stupid because it's superfluous, a few shuttle diesel trains to Bray would have achieved the same service without the hideously expensive electrification process, but I'm interested to hear the other reasons why the Greystones Dart was a bad idea.

Also, am I right in thinking that Greystones DARTs always change driver at Bray, (i.e. a southbound DART going onto Greystones will always have the driver replaced at Bray, similarly for northbound DARTs from Greystones), and if I am right, what's the reason ? Something to do with the single line track between Bray/Greystones ?
alanperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2006, 10:39   #2
Donal Quinn

as far as i know the main reason is the single track

the cost of electrification isn't that great and union issues are part and parcel of IE

the single track it imposes huge restraints on capacity and scheduling accross the entire dart network. running a metro style system on one track is a bad idea. also the terminus of a metro-style system needs lots of sidings and platforms to hold trains and allow flexibility. bray has this, greystones doesn't

effectively bray still is the terminus and they just allow some darts to continue on to greystones. ideally a single four-car diesel or electric would run a shuttle from greystones to bray. would improve things all round. same applies to howth and howth junction...
Donal Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2006, 11:52   #3
Derek Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanperkins
Apologies if this has been answered already.

I've long been curious (especially as a Greystones resident), why is the DART service to Greystones considered such a stupid idea around here ? I think it's stupid because it's superfluous, a few shuttle diesel trains to Bray would have achieved the same service without the hideously expensive electrification process, but I'm interested to hear the other reasons why the Greystones Dart was a bad idea.

Also, am I right in thinking that Greystones DARTs always change driver at Bray, (i.e. a southbound DART going onto Greystones will always have the driver replaced at Bray, similarly for northbound DARTs from Greystones), and if I am right, what's the reason ? Something to do with the single line track between Bray/Greystones ?
You've answered it, pretty much on the mark Alan. It was a purely political decision and that is never good for public transport. Furthermore the money could've been spent on electrifying the Maynooth line, with more benefits in terms of passenger numbers.
Derek Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote