Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Mallow-Cork-Cobh/Midleton
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
Unread 10-09-2008, 08:45   #1
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Default Cork Cobh Closure Abandoned

Quote:
Cork to Cobh line: improvement works, October to November 2008 by Corporate Communications

Iarnród Éireann is to undertake major works on the Cork-Cobh commuter line this October and November, to modernise station platforms and other facilities along the route.

As a result, Cork-Cobh rail services will be suspended from 3rd October 2008 to 10th November 2008 to facilitate this important work. Substitute bus services will be provided on the line during this time.

The works on the Cork-Cobh line include:

- the upgrading of 11 platforms at 6 stations along the route, which will improve accessibility of rail services for mobility-impaired customers

- laying of cable ducting for signalling, electrical and telecoms

- facilitating construction of a new overbridge at Woodhill, including a retaining wall at the approach to the bridge

- coastal defence and landslip protection works at key sites

- installation of a watermain for Cork County Council

- signalling adjustments to facilitate the reopening of the Cork-Midleton line

Iarnród Éireann apologise to customers for the inconvenience these works will cause. However, by completing these works in a short timeframe, we can ensure that a lengthy period of intermittent service disruption is avoided, and that improvements to platforms and other important infrastructure work can be delivered.

The works represent an investment of €5 million in the route, and are part of a wider package of investment in Cork’s commuter rail network.

Work is well advanced on the reopening of Glounthaune-Midleton line, which will be completed in 2009. In addition, new stations are planned at Dunkettle, Kilbarry and Blarney.

The works on the Cork-Cobh line will ensure the height levels on platforms are raised to ease access to modern commuter railcars on the route, improving accessibility for all customers, but particularly the mobility-impaired.

Details of substitute bus services for the duration of the works will be confirmed shortly.
Of course there was nothing to be seen in Cork or Cobh about this yesterday. This has been in planning for several months, August was originally the plan until someone figured out August was in fact the busiest month on the line!

No works on the ground to be seen in preparation
Unread 10-09-2008, 11:58   #2
comcor
Really Regular Poster

Location: Cork-Dublin, Cork Commuter and occasionally DART and Dublin-Wexford

The platform works are desperately needed though from a safety point of view. And if they're sensibly doing it at the time of the Cork-Midleton work, all the better. Although as you say, it could be better publicised.
Unread 10-09-2008, 12:31   #3
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

I've seen the platforms at first hand and they are in serious need of work, in length terms they are grand but the levels and surface are horrible. All looks a bit like you are back in the 1970's. Of course there is no signage. Before the eagle eyed ask the question of why 6 stations and only 11 platforms, Cobh only has one

The work doesn't seem to include any wheelchair accessible footbridges

In classic Irish Rail style the only station with a TVM is Little Island which also has a full booking office. Everything bar Little Island and Cobh are unstaffed

The revised timetables on display are in tatters since its simply a photocopied page, no one had the sense to laminate them to protect them from the elements
Unread 10-09-2008, 15:40   #4
Dkettle

I hope that they install the points Glounthaune for the branch to Midleton during this period, they already have a few hundred metres of track down on the new line near Glounthaune, so this would be the perfect opportunity.

Interesting to note that August is the busiest month for the line, implying that day trippers to Fota in the summer are more numerous than commuters throughout the year.

I hope the line won't reopen with Pay and Display machines in Little Island and Glounthaune.... (watching this space)
Unread 10-09-2008, 16:04   #5
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkettle View Post
Interesting to note that August is the busiest month for the line, implying that day trippers to Fota in the summer are more numerous than commuters throughout the year.
The serious business is done when a cruise ship visits Cobh, they tie up at the quay at the station. For one of the big ships it means 5 extra trains each way and a 5 coach push pull set is generally used. There is even a second hut to sell tickets a big sign in red with the return fare written on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkettle View Post
I hope the line won't reopen with Pay and Display machines in Little Island and Glounthaune.... (watching this space)
It coming not sure when. Midleton will be charged from opening day
Unread 10-09-2008, 19:03   #6
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Everything bar Little Island and Cobh are unstaffed
And the Cobh booking office seems to be closed more often than not.
Unread 10-09-2008, 19:04   #7
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tralph View Post
And the Cobh booking office seems to be closed more often than not.
Indeed it closed at 2:45 yesterday
Unread 11-09-2008, 08:46   #8
ccos

If it is closed the guy on the train will sell you a ticket
Unread 11-09-2008, 09:04   #9
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccos View Post
If it is closed the guy on the train will sell you a ticket
Yes the conductor will, but
Name:  PICT1494.jpg
Views: 1421
Size:  183.5 KB
Unread 11-09-2008, 10:54   #10
comcor
Really Regular Poster

I don't think they'll be looking to encourage parking in Midleton anyway. There isn't much space for a significant car park there and the station is on the Mill Road, meaning that traffic from most parts of East Cork would have to make their way across the town to get to the station.

The market for Midleton station will be mostly people who live in the town. Park and Ride customers are more likely to be encouraged to other stations.
Unread 11-09-2008, 10:55   #11
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Be charging all stations Cork in due course
Unread 12-09-2008, 08:56   #12
comcor
Really Regular Poster

I have to say, I'm not convinced by that move. Glounethaune and Little Island have ample free public parking around them, so it could well just end up with an empty car park.

I think parking at Cobh and Mallow is already charged.
Unread 12-09-2008, 09:29   #13
ccos

Ive been using that line since I was a kid and the Conductor is always on the train and always sells tickets, never been any problem. You can correct me on this if I'm wrong but don't the bye laws say someting about being able to board a train without a ticket if the booking office is closed..................

No IE car park in cobh but the town does charge
Unread 12-09-2008, 09:41   #14
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Problem is not the byelaws but the dodgy and incorrect information IE provide
Unread 12-09-2008, 09:54   #15
ccos

I'm not defending the lack of information about service disruption, which is inexcusable cosidering we live in the information age. I was just pointing out that a closed ticket office in Cobh has never presented a problem for train travel.
Unread 12-09-2008, 10:13   #16
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Never has been a problem, just imagine a tourist showing up faced with the sign saying no ticket no travel. Its confusing

Should be

Tickets are available from the booking office
If the office is closed you must pay the conductor on the train
Fare evaders will be prosecuted ....
Unread 12-09-2008, 10:55   #17
zag
Regular Poster

Yeah, you can imagine tourists from some of the more regulation-obeying nations . . . I could generalise a lot here, but you know the types of countries I'm talking about.

Frau Schmidt : This sign says that we must not travel without a ticket. We do not have a ticket, therefore we must not travel. The logic is in-escapable. Perhaps if there was an employee here we could buy a ticket or ask him if we mis-understand the sign but there is no employee. Gott-in-himmel, what a country.

Herr Schmidt : Let us return to the cruise ship and spend our money there.

Seriously, that poster is not a good idea. They should really put in the effort and include something to say "*unless the ticket office is closed in which case you can board the train and buy your ticket later".

It's fine for all the people who know this is the way things operate in the Peoples Republic.

z
Unread 12-09-2008, 11:38   #18
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

So the line is closed from the 3rd onwards

But no one bothered to update the timetable online to reflect this
Name:  cobh_3.JPG
Views: 1202
Size:  52.1 KB
Unread 15-09-2008, 15:26   #19
ccos

Quote:
Frau Schmidt : This sign says that we must not travel without a ticket. We do not have a ticket, therefore we must not travel. The logic is in-escapable. Perhaps if there was an employee here we could buy a ticket or ask him if we mis-understand the sign but there is no employee. Gott-in-himmel, what a country.

Herr Schmidt : Let us return to the cruise ship and spend our money there.

Seriously, that poster is not a good idea. They should really put in the effort and include something to say "*unless the ticket office is closed in which case you can board the train and buy your ticket later".

It's fine for all the people who know this is the way things operate in the Peoples Republic.
In th Peoples Republic Area Metro there is always a conductor with the train who can be asked when the train arrives if he would be so kind to "permit us to board zis train as ve have kein teekets and ze offez is clozed".

Paddy in Germany: Look the ticket machine is out of order and the office closed and I can't board the fecking train without a ticket .
Paddy spots train conductor hanging out of train to blow his whistle and says "ware can i get a bleedin ticket? " "You may board ze train herr paddy and ve vill sell you einz teeket" replies conductor. "donkey shine" replies paddy

Of course when this happened too me in Holland as well the conductor promptly charged me the on train fare which was an extra 5 euros at the time
Unread 15-09-2008, 15:30   #20
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Clarity of communication is the key thing here.

The signage is confusing and misleading. Conductors are not always present on the Cobh line from the information I have received and indeed at times the crowds are so great that the conductor has no choice but to sit out the journey in the back cab
Closed Thread