Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > All stops to Thurles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 25-10-2009, 15:27   #1
jscales1

Default Extending Cork Commuter services to Thurles

Is there a case to start a commuter train service from Thurles to Cork Kent. The first train from Thurles until 8:20am arriving in Cork at 9:55am. Is there demand for such a service as commuter services seem to be the focus of alot of investement currently by IR
jscales1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-10-2009, 15:52   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

What is needed is a 6am Dublin Cork service which fills the gap on the entire route. Its no problem get back from Cork as there is a 20:30 service (which is lucky to have more than 100 on board).

But lets be sensible do we really want to promote a 80+ mile daily hike to Cork from Thurles? Its not sensible, not sustainable and the economics say the trains are better used on Mallow - Cork - Cobh/Midelton where there is good demand.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-10-2009, 06:14   #3
jscales1

I see your point I was of the impression that Thurles would be similar to Longford/Athlone types of towns were people from Thurles would work mainly in Cork. Best to work on the Midelton/Mallow/Cobh towns for the short them to build up commuter numbers thanks again.
jscales1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-10-2009, 12:43   #4
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

I know many people in Thurles and know of many travelling to Dublin but have yet to meet someone travelling to Cork.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-10-2009, 12:18   #5
comcor
Really Regular Poster

Location: Cork-Dublin, Cork Commuter and occasionally DART and Dublin-Wexford

There's actually a map from the CSO of where people commute into Cork from (similar maps exist for other cities too).

Anywhere not shown on the map is below 20 commuters a day, so numbers from Thurles have to be minute.

Looking at it, you'd have to say that Mark's idea of a 6:00am Dublin-Cork train, with a stop in Charleville for the only significant number of commuters who are currently unserved, would look like the best idea.

In the longer-term, maybe there's a case for a stopping service along the lines of Cork-(Blarney)-Mallow-(Buttevant)-Charleville-(Kilmallock)-Limerick Junction-(Dundrum)-Thurles running a few times a day and feeding a Cork-Dublin train in Thurles, thus providing better connectivity for some towns that have either seen their station closed or seen frequencies cut as the Cork-Dublin doesn't stop as frequently any more.
comcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-10-2009, 14:40   #6
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Not to take the focus away from the Cork-Thurles commuter service but I wanted to ask is there a map from the CSO of people commuting from Rosslare/Wexford/Gorey.
KSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-10-2009, 14:58   #7
comcor
Really Regular Poster

Location: Cork-Dublin, Cork Commuter and occasionally DART and Dublin-Wexford

Commuters from Co Wexford show up for four of the towns for which maps are available - Bray, Dublin, Waterford and Wexford

The first link has Bray and Dublin in it, the second Waterford and Wexford

http://www.cso.ie/census/..%5Ccensus...iles%20A-D.pdf

http://www.cso.ie/census/..%5Ccensus...iles%20P-W.pdf
comcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-10-2009, 19:50   #8
zag
Regular Poster

Default Where is Portlaoighise ?

Looking at one of those PDFs, I see Portlaoighise . . . interesting spelling. I guess it explains the Port-leh-oishah pronunciation on RTE.

I don't suppose anyone has details of heated local council debates between the Portlaoise-er and the Portlaoighise-ers ?

z
zag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-11-2009, 18:55   #9
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Not for this year, but I'm wondering if the early Thurles-Limerick train could meet an early Limerick-Cork train.

0725 Limerick
0800 Limerick Junction
0821 Charleville
0834 Mallow
0909 Cork

Bringing both trains forward a little would mean an arrival before 9am in Cork, although it might be possible to get a much better time out of a railcar on Mallow-Cork. It also has the disadvantage of Thurles & Limerick Junction passengers arriving very early in Limerick.

Where will the Thurles train originate from the night before? Thurles, Limerick? Port Laoise?

Last edited by Colm Moore : 26-11-2009 at 22:31.
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-11-2009, 05:45   #10
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

The Thurles-Limerick train operates Limerick-Thurles arriving 0722 and then returns departing 0730.
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-11-2009, 11:35   #11
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowlingm View Post
The Thurles-Limerick train operates Limerick-Thurles arriving 0722 and then returns departing 0730.
Thats rather early for people who start work / college at 9am.
Unread 28-11-2009, 05:08   #12
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

It would be better if the schedule allowed the Clonmel train to reach LJ in time to transfer passengers to the Thurles-Limerick. But that would involve running that train at more than 40mph...
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2010, 21:41   #13
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

simple solution is the 6 am from dublin, i would think patronage would be dismal, that said we have been looking for this train in tipp for years, but the man form del monte (or Galway if you like) he keep saying no.