Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 13-06-2007, 13:31   #1
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

Thumbs down online ticket sales

Looked at getting a ticket online to Westport, from Rush& Lusk. after picking my seat time & yada yada, it turns out I have to get the train somewhere else to collect my ticket.

I thought you could get a ticket at any station (that's open) to anywhere else in the country?
why can't I collect tickets this way so?
Colm Donoghue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-06-2007, 13:55   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

If you book more than 4 working days ahead the ticket will be sent by post for free, or you can collect

Only full intercity stations have the ability to print reserved seat tickets, that is normal europe wide

Since the booking software requests your collection point you have been given reasonable notice of the proceedure

However under the CIE bye laws you can travel from Rush and Lusk without a ticket and collect in Connolly

Quote:
"ticket" means any ticket or document issued for the conveyance of any passenger, animal or articles on the railway, or any platform ticket, or car or bicycle parking ticket, and includes in particular but without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing any season ticket, commuter ticket, rail rambler ticket, free pass, privilege ticket, or any warrant, identity card, voucher or other similar authority in exchange for or on production of which any ticket for the conveyance of any passenger may be issued;
I take it the booking confirmation page printed out falls inline with this as presentation of that at the booking office with ID will result in a ticket

Remember
Quote:
with intent that the Board shall be defrauded
you have no intent you have a ticket

Given the defination of a ticket in the bye laws, the rail safety act would let you as well

Quote:
132.—(1) Every passenger of a railway undertaking shall, on request by an officer or employee of a railway undertaking, produce, and if so requested, deliver up to the officer or employee a ticket showing that his or her fare is paid and, if the fare has not been paid, shall upon request—
3(a) travels or attempts to travel on a railway of a railway undertaking without having previously paid his or her fare, and with intent to avoid such payment,
You have paid the fare and can prove such

Never thought of trying this out but its classic stuff

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 13-06-2007 at 14:00.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-06-2007, 14:10   #3
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

Mark,
can you give me chapter and verse of the first byelaw you quoted ( section and law name)
and would I definitely need to print out the stuff to bring with me as I won't have a printer. I'll save the page as a .pdf for evidence though...

On a usb key.

I think you're mistaken about intercity stations, you cant collect in Arklow and it won best dressed intercity station of the year earlier on....
Unread 13-06-2007, 14:13   #4
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

I did say full intercity station, Arklow isn't a station its a halt

www.platform11.org/passenger_info/legal.php

This is a test case, wouldn't really recommend it unless you have to.

If you try this after 7pm you will get away with it since the booth in Connolly is unstaffed and the guys on the barrier couldn't be arsed to issue a fine.

If it goes pear shaped
Insist on the name of the person you are dealing with
Ask to see the Station Manager/District Manager/General Manager Northern and Eastern
Claim to be a journalist and ask for Barry Kenny
Failling all if its before 6:05pm ask for Dick Fearn chief exec

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 13-06-2007 at 14:20.
Unread 13-06-2007, 14:22   #5
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

You could pm me your expected arrival date and time in Connolly from Rush and Lusk and I could accidently be on site when it happens
Unread 13-06-2007, 14:35   #6
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

http://www.iarnrodeireann.ie/news_ce...ew&news_id=249

says it's an intercity station.
Was gonna challenge this before but couldn't find a copy of the advert that said intercity travel was bookable.

Last edited by Colm Donoghue : 13-06-2007 at 14:37. Reason: jumped the gun hitting the post button
Unread 16-06-2007, 13:02   #7
byrneeo
Regular Poster

i tried booking a ticket to rosslare a while back online and i couldn't. from pearse. anyone know why? i couldn't even check fare price. i got as far as selecting my ticket (which i did) but then hit proceed and it said "you must select either first or standard class seating", but there were no boxes in those columns. Grrr.
byrneeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-06-2007, 19:59   #8
packetswitch

Rosslare line is non-reservable at the moment as it's all railcars. We presume that it will be added to the system when the new 'uns (the 22000s) arrive later this year (it is this year, right Mark?). Hopefully that means Pearse will get a machine too.

I hope that the machine is set up for buying any tickets, and not just ex-Connolly routes. The British system allows you to book online pick up tickets at a machine (where one is in place) for any route. Knowing IÉ, they could well run two systems (they already appear to do so with the buy-at-the-station machines, i.e. you can't buy a ticket from Pearse to Kildare even though you can do it via Connolly and Luas/Bus connection).

Bit of a pain, really.
packetswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-06-2007, 11:05   #9
Garrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Only full intercity stations have the ability to print reserved seat tickets, that is normal europe wide
Hmmm, really? I can print a reserved SNCF ticket from any SNCF ticket office in France and, failing that, from any SNCF ticket vending machine available in almost every train station in France. My college even has a SNCF ticket machine. It even allows you to exchange a ticket if you want.
Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-06-2007, 17:55   #10
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

when I pick up my VIA rail tickets I scan my barcode from the email and it (the dispenser in the concourse) prints the tickets, seat number included. It doesn't handle changed reservations though, have to go to the ticket desk for that.

Last edited by dowlingm : 17-06-2007 at 17:56. Reason: clarity
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-06-2007, 17:30   #11
Oisin88

the italian rail company sent me a text, which I keyed into a machine in Napoli, and out came my tickets
Unread 19-06-2007, 21:00   #12
Rushed2nowhere
New to the board

In Switzerland you can buy your ticket online and print it out.

I did it in 2004 to go from Lausanne to Geneve return.

The only problem was the printer was old and the verification code couldn't be read by the ticket inspector.
Rushed2nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote