Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Longford-Maynooth-Dunboyne-Clonsilla-Dublin line
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-12-2007, 12:49   #41
eugene

I use the station every day, its not great at all, empty at night with the industrial estates round the place

Like I have said in another thread, the Luas BX line looks for definitive to be ending up at Broombridge, after coming up the old Broadstone line.

I've heard elsewhere that hopefully the new station at Royal Canal Park should start construction early next year, even January. I live in hope
eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2007, 10:30   #42
Chopper
Regular Poster

Could someone tell me where exactly the new station will be - more so
interested in the necessary work for the Ashington side of the station ?

Tks
Chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2007, 20:11   #43
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
Could someone tell me where exactly the new station will be - more so
interested in the necessary work for the Ashington side of the station ?

Tks
Existing Ashtown

Suggested Royal Canal Park

Existing Broombridge

Suggested Liffey Junction
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2007, 15:21   #44
eugene

Was at a residents meeting last night in Finglas South, there seems still to be a lot of resistance still from the people on the Cabra side of the Campbells Bridge level crossing about the flyover plans etc.

I asked the councilors you attended the meeting if the Ormond site had or would be purchased by DCC. They said it hadn't and I said it should be CPO'ed or something similar. Don't know how much that would cost but I think it would give a lot of space over to building the flyover which is badly needed.

I'm no engineer but if that site was bought, could the flyover design be built in such a way so that the cars travelling over it would not overlook the housing estates on the Cabra side?
eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2007, 19:30   #45
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

Might be possible to build a willow-earth-willow sound barrier installation so that it looks green to those overflown and blocks the view from the overflyers.

It would look better than an ugly concrete barrier, maybe lighter weight for the flyover to carry too.
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2007, 23:06   #46
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Is Campbells Bridge the one on Ratoath Road?
Unread 09-12-2007, 22:22   #47
Derek Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor View Post
Is Campbells Bridge the one on Ratoath Road?
Yes.

The one leading to Reillys level crossing. The Ormond factory is the old Sellotape factory on the left as you approach the bridge from the Finglas side. The tyre/service garage is named Campbells. Its on your right facing Ormonds.

The Cabra residents are objecting because any proposed flyover will have decent views into bedrooms in the estate on the Cabra side of Reillys crossing.
Derek Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2007, 19:26   #48
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Wheeler View Post
The Cabra residents are objecting because any proposed flyover will have decent views into bedrooms in the estate on the Cabra side of Reillys crossing.
As the RPA put it to the residents of Ranelagh - buy curtains!

/sets up curtain sales business.
Unread 25-02-2008, 17:36   #49
bob909
New to the board

Talking

I live in the area and WOULD LOVE to see that built, that crossing is the Bane of my life . every time I try to get anywhere the damn gates are closed. and if I try to take the train I cant get on the thing!
Id a polish taxi driver giving me a lift home once and he was in fits of laughter at how backward it is to have someone opening and closing those gates. Its completely ridiculous that its in that state. Does anyone know if there is a time frame in place for that bridge or is it like every other piece of infrastructure in the country and 'proposed' hahaha
bob909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-02-2008, 17:43   #50
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Its all in the hands of the local authority

The gates where not automated when the line was rebuilt in 1998/1999 due to the awkward curve on the approach, the canal bridge hump and plans to put a bridge in to close the crossing

Automatic gates cost about €700,000 to install, require frequent maintenance, the bridge option is typically cheaper and lasts tens if not hundreds of years
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-02-2008, 18:13   #51
James Shields

Automated crossings don't really offer any advantage except from a staffing point of view. Look at the ones on the DART, and if anything the gap between the gate closing and the train passing is even longer.
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-04-2008, 18:45   #52
kmepll
New to the board

Default Fly over at reillys bridge

I grew up in the estate where the fly over is suppose to go,since my parents bought the house in 1971 the fly over has been in the pipework.the land is there and there has never been any objection to it being built as the residents knew it was planned.Only now is there objections as most of the original residents have moved on after 37 years so the new homeowners are objecting which is ridiculous because after 37 years of planning you think permission would have been approved by now.Bring on the fly over,level croosing in 2008 is crazy
kmepll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2008, 15:43   #53
wylde101
New to the board

Default ratoath road level crossing

Hey

I used to work in that crossing, and i agree its ridiculious, but none of the raod users understand how much hassel and hardship the staff go through on that bridge!! from all the verbal abuse and getting pebbeled with stones working 12 hours a day running in and out like a mad man, its **** on all sides of the agenda, anyone have any quearies about that id love to know!!
wylde101 is offline   Reply With Quote