Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Longford-Maynooth-Dunboyne-Clonsilla-Dublin line
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-09-2008, 14:06   #1
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Monday 8th Septemer: Maynooth & Longford service cancellations by Corporate Communications

Iarnród Éireann advises passengers that due to operational difficulties the following Maynooth and Longford services are cancelled today, Monday 8th of September:

15.15hrs Pearse to Maynooth

16.04hrs Maynooth to Connolly

18.05hrs Connolly to Longford

Iarnród Éireann apologises for any inconvenience caused.
Here we go yet again
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2008, 14:24   #2
clockwork orange
Regular Poster

There seems to be a lot of cancellations on the Sligo/Longford/Maynooth line these days. Whats the problem does anyone know???
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2008, 14:29   #3
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

the usual driver issues
Unread 08-09-2008, 14:47   #4
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas J Stamp View Post
the usual driver issues
The usual lack of drivers issue, due to the way things are rostered Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon are the at risk days. Curiously they spread the cancellations around as to ensure the (massaged) targets are always met
Unread 08-09-2008, 14:51   #5
ThomasJ

A bit of advice for Clonsilla Coolmine and Castleknock passengers heading inbound from personal experience:

Clonsilla:
Trains to Connolly around that time are at 15:20, 17:20 and 17:30 (yes 2 hour gap!)
Trains to Docklands around that time are at 15:30, 16:11

Coolmine:
Trains to Connolly around that time are at 15:23, 17:07* and 17:33
Trains to Docklands around that time are at 15:33, 16:14

Castleknock:
Trains to Connolly around that time are at 15:26, 17:36
Trains to Docklands around that time are at 15:36, 16:17

Take the Docklands train if you can

* The 17:07 ex coolmine does not stop at clonsilla or castleknock and runs non-stop from coolmine to Drumcondra

This is all presuming there is no other shocks in store!

Last edited by ThomasJ : 08-09-2008 at 15:00.
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2008, 15:13   #6
mullingar mojo
New to the board

Angry

This is getting ridicilous. It is easily happening once a week at this stage. They cancelled it on Wednesday last week but then decided it was just a platform alteration and the train ran on time.

It is obviously the same driver each time because it is always the 18.05 Connolly to Londford that is hit each time.
mullingar mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2008, 15:17   #7
ThomasJ

Is there anything to stop the 4-coach from the 18:05 adjoining the 4-coach of the 18:08 to make it an 8-coach and running the 18:08 to Mullingar?

For overcrowding reasons.
Unread 08-09-2008, 15:34   #8
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Its not the same driver, its driven by one of about 100 drivers in Connolly who rotate around to ensure they drive all train types and all routes

The 18:05 just happens to be the easiest train to cancel since it has no return leg and doesn't cause a domino effect. Cancellations are always in the evening as they can no longer fill the gaps with other drivers due to working hour limitations. The roster is meant to ensure 2 days off for every 5 worked and to get them to fall on a weekend, hence Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon problems

Irish Rail deny there is problem and really there is not much we can do about it, we can't magically solve Irish Rail's staffing problem, thats there problem.
Unread 08-09-2008, 15:42   #9
mullingar mojo
New to the board

Angry

But how do Irish Rail honestly expect the 18.05 passengers to squeeze on to the already packed 18.18 from Connolly.

I understand that it is the easiest train to cancel considering Irish Rail have tried to remove this train from the timetable on previous occasions.

The main frustration lies when this occurs on a Monday when most people just want to get home from work at a reasonable hour.
Unread 08-09-2008, 15:46   #10
ThomasJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullingar mojo View Post
But how do Irish Rail honestly expect the 18.05 passengers to squeeze on to the already packed 18.18 from Connolly.

I understand that it is the easiest train to cancel considering Irish Rail have tried to remove this train from the timetable on previous occasions.

The main frustration lies when this occurs on a Monday when most people just want to get home from work at a reasonable hour.
My point exactly, should be fun!

Unless of course you run the 18:08 as an 8-coach then transfer the 18:05 passengers to the 18:18 at Maynooth. The train should be nearly empty by then!
Unread 08-09-2008, 15:48   #11
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

They well know there is a problem several hours before they go public, it would be much better to lose a few trains off peak instead except Irish Rail don't think like that while it would effect far fewer people it would look worse statistically.

The permanent cancellation of the 18:05 would make a later evening train a runner that was always to official line.
Unread 08-09-2008, 15:54   #12
mullingar mojo
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasJ View Post
My point exactly, should be fun!

Unless of course you run the 18:08 as an 8-coach then transfer the 18:05 passengers to the 18:18 at Maynooth. The train should be nearly empty by then!
I normally take the 18.08 to Maynooth and wait there for 18.18 to reach Maynooth when this happens. At least it you are in Connolly a little early you can be lucky and get it a seat.

But I can honestly say I would not be a fan of standing on the platform in Maynooth for 20mins if this happens in the Winter months.
Unread 08-09-2008, 15:58   #13
ThomasJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullingar mojo View Post
I normally take the 18.08 to Maynooth and wait there for 18.18 to reach Maynooth when this happens. At least it you are in Connolly a little early you can be lucky and get it a seat.

But I can honestly say I would not be a fan of standing on the platform in Maynooth for 20mins if this happens in the Winter months.
Fair point but do you not normaly get a seat on the 18:18 at Maynooth?

I'm not a fan myself either of standing out for that long in this weather in stations like Maynooth.
Unread 08-09-2008, 16:02   #14
mullingar mojo
New to the board

I never have any problems getting a seat on the 18.18 from Maynooth. It is nearly a 20 minute wait in Maynooth but the train usually empties out in Maynooth.
Unread 08-09-2008, 16:03   #15
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Won't be a problem after September, annual leave is one of the causes of the shortage currently. With the kids back in school problem should reduce, things are a lot better than end July start August
Unread 08-09-2008, 16:06   #16
ThomasJ

I never knew that, i thought it was a 10-12 minute wait, or at least the timetable says so!

If you were to get to Connolly early you may get a seat on the 18:08 it normally gets in earlyish around 18:50-18:55.
Unread 08-09-2008, 16:17   #17
mullingar mojo
New to the board

It is usually on Platform 7 at 17.50 so if you get there early and go towards the front of the train you should get a seat. I think it gets to Maynooth at 18.45 and the 18.18 gets there at 19.00.
Sorry only a 15 minute wait- it just always feels a little longer.
Unread 08-09-2008, 16:29   #18
ThomasJ

Thats good then.

My experience of the 18:18 is not a good one. This train would be crammed alot and this was even when the 18:05 was running. I wouldn't recommend the 18:18 from Connolly on days like this!

If you are to get the 18:08 be there early, this train can be as bad as the 18:18 on days like this!
Unread 08-09-2008, 16:56   #19
paddyb180285
Regular Poster

I was in Dalkey Station waiting on the 10:36 Drogheda service. On this particular occassion, the platform information system didn't say Drogheda on it. In the past, despite the fact that Drogheda wasn't on the information system the train DID come anyway. I therefore thought that it was again going to be a case of no information about Drogheda on the PIS and the train would come. It never came. I didn't really mind this as a Howth bound train was due four minutes after. However, someone from Balbriggan or Drogheda would be furious at this as their trains aren't as frequent as the DARTS. I am basing this on the assumption that the train was cancelled completely. For all I know, it may have started from Dun Laoghaire or Pearse instead.

There was no information on the Irish Rail website about this cancellation. It must have been a last minute cancellation whereby the train didn't make it down to Bray. No announcements came on to say that it was cancelled. There wasn't anyone working at Dalkey station so I suspect that it was due to a staff strike which seems to be becoming increasingly common in Irish Rail. It's an absolute disgrace nonetheless. It's often been the case where someone working at one of the stations is ignorant to a customer. This tells me that they don't like working there in the first place (not that this justifies any level of ignorance). Would this attitude to work be the cause of all of these cancellations?
paddyb180285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2008, 08:59   #20
paddyb180285
Regular Poster

Sorry about that comment.Wrong thread!
paddyb180285 is offline   Reply With Quote