Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Belfast
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 15-03-2016, 09:57   #141
Mickey H
Really Regular Poster

The failure series has resumed and not just the DD. Yesterday the 0735 ex Dublin failed and was replaced by a 29? The 1405 ex Belfast failed at Lisburn and was replaced by a C3K there is also one on 0650/0935 this morning
Unread 15-03-2016, 14:15   #142
EnterpriseUser

yes it is disappointing. I was due to take the 1650 yesterday but fortunately managed to take a very busy 1520 DD set. I noticed the 3 car NIR set leaving Dundalk so breathed a sigh of relief that I had caught the earlier service. The consistent problem with the Enterprise is the lack of resilience. When there is a problem it all goes pear shaped very quickly. its hard to understand why Translink and IE have never sorted this!
EnterpriseUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-03-2016, 15:56   #143
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterpriseUser View Post
yes it is disappointing. I was due to take the 1650 yesterday but fortunately managed to take a very busy 1520 DD set. I noticed the 3 car NIR set leaving Dundalk so breathed a sigh of relief that I had caught the earlier service. The consistent problem with the Enterprise is the lack of resilience. When there is a problem it all goes pear shaped very quickly. its hard to understand why Translink and IE have never sorted this!
With only three train sets in daily use, a failure tends to stick out far more on the Enterprise than on other services.

Failures at Heuston tend not to stick out as much as they're likely to result in ICR sets being "stepped up", in other words moved up from other services until a replacement set arrives from the depot or the issue resolved.

They don't tend to have that luxury with the Enterprise.
berneyarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-03-2016, 16:10   #144
ACustomer
Really Regular Poster

Berney arms: I take your point about Heuston being better able to redeploy units when there is a failure. What would be interesting would be to compare the failure rates of Mk4 versus DD sets, say failures per 100 scheduled departures. They are after all performing much the same function, even though the journey performed by a Mk4 is about 50% longer than that of a DD.
ACustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-03-2016, 16:24   #145
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster

Quote:
Berney arms: I take your point about Heuston being better able to redeploy units when there is a failure. What would be interesting would be to compare the failure rates of Mk4 versus DD sets, say failures per 100 scheduled departures. They are after all performing much the same function, even though the journey performed by a Mk4 is about 50% longer than that of a DD.
Mark4 would defiantly outperform DD in failure rates. There has not really been that many failures lately however of the ones I have observed it has been loco issues which is not the problem on Belfast route.

Another difference is issues with Mark4 can often be fixed without removing it form service something which the DD cannot. Now the extra sets of course help in such events.

With the third set been delayed not back (due in Feb) it would be about time that it spend 4-6 weeks running empty up and down to Dublin and all the current issues addressed before it comes back. After all fleets entering service down here had to run around 10,000 km/h before a single passenger could board and be fault free.

Quote:
Yesterday the 0735 ex Dublin failed and was replaced by a 29?
To be fair you could probably count on a single hand how many times the 22's have not been available because of faults to carry out the scheduled to Belfast since they took over.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-03-2016, 23:19   #146
ACustomer
Really Regular Poster

Jamie2k9: I would expect very little difference in loco-failure rates as between DD and Mark4 sets, at least since the DD locos are not having to use HEP, so they are all from the same stable as it were. Differences should really be down to the coaching stock, including the DVTs.
ACustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-03-2016, 00:25   #147
Jamie2k9

Quote:
Jamie2k9: I would expect very little difference in loco-failure rates as between DD and Mark4 sets, at least since the DD locos are not having to use HEP, so they are all from the same stable as it were. Differences should really be down to the coaching stock, including the DVTs.
Yes neither would I but I am saying all the current issues with the DD have had little if no issues with the locomotives. If you were to compare both sets the bulk of the recent Mark4 issues have been locomotive faults and if a comparison was carried out the DD would fail miserably in comparison.

Is the fault board still giving all the trouble and/or one set over the other?
Unread 16-03-2016, 17:39   #148
Commuter12345
New to the board

Default Furniture Rattling \ Vibrations

Does anyone know why the overhead furniture is all rattling now? In the front end of some carriages even the windows are vibrating. I'm not an engineer but the 4 50 from Connelly feels like the suspension is about to fail.
Commuter12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-03-2016, 22:34   #149
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commuter12345 View Post
Does anyone know why the overhead furniture is all rattling now? In the front end of some carriages even the windows are vibrating. I'm not an engineer but the 4 50 from Connelly feels like the suspension is about to fail.
Can you do a complaint?
Unread 26-03-2016, 19:29   #150
RPI

On the refurbished Enterprise for the first time and there seems to be some accessibility and language act issues.

The accessibility issues concern the toilets. Firstly, none of the door buttons are illuminated in any manner. You would think there was no electrical power available by the look of them.

Secondly, there is no internal feedback mechanism to indicate that the doors are locked or to warn a user that the lock hasn't been activated. This includes any audible signal.

The new passenger display system only appears to operate in English. There is no Irish content whatsoever. Meanwhile, the digital clock display has been replaced by a clock face which is pretty difficult to see at distance.

The signage in general is very hit and miss - certain doors have English evacuation instructions while others have Irish ones. Some buttons have English text above Irish and others vice-versa.

Who do I inform? It isn't strictly a complaint about the journey but about my concerns that certain legal requirements aren't being met.
RPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-03-2016, 19:30   #151
RPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commuter12345 View Post
Does anyone know why the overhead furniture is all rattling now?
I noticed this on my journey today. It seemed to be coming from the overhead luggage shelf.
Unread 27-03-2016, 08:25   #152
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI View Post
On the refurbished Enterprise for the first time and there seems to be some accessibility and language act issues.

The accessibility issues concern the toilets. Firstly, none of the door buttons are illuminated in any manner. You would think there was no electrical power available by the look of them.

Secondly, there is no internal feedback mechanism to indicate that the doors are locked or to warn a user that the lock hasn't been activated. This includes any audible signal.

The new passenger display system only appears to operate in English. There is no Irish content whatsoever. Meanwhile, the digital clock display has been replaced by a clock face which is pretty difficult to see at distance.

The signage in general is very hit and miss - certain doors have English evacuation instructions while others have Irish ones. Some buttons have English text above Irish and others vice-versa.

Who do I inform? It isn't strictly a complaint about the journey but about my concerns that certain legal requirements aren't being met.
Well I suspect that as a jointly operated international service, the Enterprise is exempt from the provisions of the Official Languages Act.
berneyarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-03-2016, 13:42   #153
Jamie2k9

Quote:
How is this an issue, what do other units have in IE stating the same thing.

Do the buttons not have lights.

Quote:
Not traveled yet but take a look next time and if the rest of IE's fleet is anything to go by it will be one door English, one door opposite Irish and alternative through the train.

Quote:
All legal requirements are been meet, most of what you mention is "choice"
Unread 27-03-2016, 17:44   #154
Mickey H
Really Regular Poster

Even numbered coaches are owned by translink and odd by IR. Are the notices with Irish first all odd numbered coaches?
Unread 27-03-2016, 19:18   #155
RPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie2k9 View Post
How is this an issue, what do other units have in IE stating the same thing.

Do the buttons not have lights.
The problem is that the buttons don't have any form of lighting and there is no audible warning that the toilet door has been left unlocked. You don't have any signal as to whether you have locked the toilet door or not.
Unread 31-03-2016, 08:36   #156
Mickey H
Really Regular Poster

Here we go again single C3K on 0800/1100
Unread 01-04-2016, 13:17   #157
Mickey H
Really Regular Poster

1100 25 minutes late today due to train fault.

A DD set went to Dublin this morning so that IR crews can be trained for April 10
Unread 01-04-2016, 19:50   #158
Inniskeen
Really Regular Poster

It will be late every day from April 10th due to a timetable fault.
Inniskeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2016, 23:13   #159
Jamie2k9

Quote:
A DD set went to Dublin this morning so that IR crews can be trained for April 10
So it might finally happen!

Quote:
IE or NIR fault?
Unread 02-04-2016, 08:57   #160
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inniskeen View Post
Timetable already considers the issue with the Dundalk train, its overtaken using the loop at Clongriffin
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote