Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Belfast
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-05-2007, 15:12   #1
Terrontress
Regular Poster

Default First Plus service?

I have a first class return ticket to Belfast and am looking to travel tomorrow.

I have been given the phone number of 01-703 4070, which announces that it is a service for First Plus and Citygold customers.

I have been on hold for over fifteen minutes!

Given the premium of travelling First Plus, would they not be able to answer a telephone?
Terrontress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2007, 15:19   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

703-4070 is the number alright
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2007, 15:40   #3
Terrontress
Regular Poster

After 25 minutes on the phone, I got through to an operator who told me that she cannot reserve me a seat unless I was paying for it with her. I would have to simply turn up and see if there are any first class seats available.

I asked to speak to her manager and got put through to someone called Geraldine who said that as the ticket had been issued by NIR that she is unable to reserve a seat and that she could have someone from NIR contact me.

I am now waiting for them to call but have noted on the NIR website that it states:

Quote:
Passengers choosing to travel 1st Plus can reserve a seat in 1st Plus in advance, making sure you travel on the service of your choice. The reservation service is at no extra cost - please phone: NI Railways 028 9089 9409 or Iarnrod Eireann 01 703 4070.
I am only travelling first class because my car broke down in Belfast, is in the garage and AA have agreed to pay all travel expenses up to €150.

I think in future, it may be less hassle to go standard.
Unread 02-05-2007, 16:04   #4
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The entire point of the first plus on Enterprise is that you can, given you have a ticket ring up and get a seat reserved.
Unread 02-05-2007, 17:37   #5
Terrontress
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
The entire point of the first plus on Enterprise is that you can, given you have a ticket ring up and get a seat reserved.
I was able to phone the office in Belfast and the guy there did it no problem. He didn't need to know the number on the ticket or anything, just took my name and gave me my seat and reference number, so I don't see why IÉ can't have done the same thing.

Let's face it. As a passenger, all I am concerned about is that the train leaves from one city and goes to another. Not about who issues tickets for which part of the journey.

And I could have done without a 25 minute wait to discover they couldn't help me.
Unread 02-05-2007, 17:47   #6
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

As I keep saying Translink are so much better in customer service terms