Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Belfast
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 17-11-2009, 15:18   #1
tigger1962

Default New Waiting Area

Although they used this yesterday, there was no queuing at the 15.20 yesterday... I'm not sure about later times... they were however implementing it today... They checked tickets on entering the "lounge"? and then you were told go to row 2 or three as the seats filled... as soon as the doors opened it was sort of a free for all.. the girl at the door did tell people to wait in their queues but as more people skipped, it became obvious that the system in place was badly flawed!! more like a ryanair flight!!
tigger1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-11-2009, 14:58   #2
tigger1962

Default Attempt no 3! Another new queuing system

Ie trying a third attempt at queuing system.
Unread 26-11-2009, 15:10   #3
tigger1962

this attempt worked reasonably well... They blocked off the sections where people could get through and an ie person prevented people from "skipping" the queue.... we'll see how long that lasts!
Unread 08-12-2009, 15:11   #4
tigger1962

I've come to the conclusion over the past week that the queues in the waiting area are at the whim of whoever is looking after them. If you are blonde and female staff member god help you if you even try to bypass the Q. If you are male and your name starts with D and ends with n it seems you tell everyone to follow the Q and then let everyone out the door anyway... and basically turn it into a ryanair type Q... everyone for themselves..
Unread 08-12-2009, 17:44   #5
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Two options

1. Empty rows of seats one at a time. Put people with bookings in the front row.

2. Why not set up the waiting area in the order as the carriages?

I don't know how many seats are in the waiting area or if the carriages are numbered, but if the carriages are numbered such that 1 is at the Belfast end and 7 is at the Dublin end, set up the waiting area similarly (they will need 7 laminated A4 pages with the numbers 1-7 and some Blu-tack).

For bookings let all the 1s out, then the 2s and so on. Then let large groups out and then let the people without bookings out. Let first / premier out any time they want to. The only problem is that all the 1s would arrive at carriage 1 at the same time and so on. The carriages can be serviced in the order 1-7.

The last thing you want is all the 7s going first and obstructing the platform for everyone else.
Unread 08-12-2009, 18:58   #6
undo

The coaches are not numbered in any visible way and also not ordered. I traveled on the Enterprise for the first time two weeks ago. I had a reservation in coach 4. Since nothing was labeled, I just counted from a random end of the train and the fourth coach happened to actually be number 4 - there even was a print-out with my name above my seat.

On the way back, I asked a NI Railways chap on the platform at Belfast Central why the coaches were not labeled on the outside. His reply was "Well, sometimes they are." Brilliant. He happened to know which one number four was that day but he mentioned that they come in random order. Also, this time around, the reservation slips above the seats were from some previous journey.

Why is it actually that in Ireland, there has to be queueing for trains? Why not just let everyone onto the platform as they do everywhere else in the world, have the train come in ready to board, open all doors and let people go to their seats?
undo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2009, 21:40   #7
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by undo View Post
On the way back, I asked a NI Railways chap on the platform at Belfast Central why the coaches were not labeled on the outside. His reply was "Well, sometimes they are."
It would be nice to think that we could simply bin CIE and have NIR run the whole thing but it seems Transfarce have the same attitude to customer needs!
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2009, 14:56   #8
tigger1962

There are carriages marked "D" but sometimes not where the reserved seats are!! But it's always the carriage beside the catering carriage.
Unread 09-12-2009, 15:00   #9
tigger1962

It looks like q out the window again today!
Unread 09-12-2009, 15:03   #10
undo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger1962 View Post
There are carriages marked "D" but sometimes not where the reserved seats are!! But it's always the carriage beside the catering carriage.
When I wrote "coach 4" above I meant "coach D" of course. And yes, you are right - next to the catering coach is exactly what the NIR guy said. But having to find it by locating the catering coach first is not exactly user-friendly. Also, I am sure most passengers do not know about that.
undo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2009, 15:16   #11
tigger1962

you are correct, I sometimes point out lost people to the correct carriage. Irish Rail are trying lately by putting signs outside the reserved carriage. I just wish they would do something similar for the waiting area... People climbing under barriers etc to fight for whats normally plenty of seats on the 15.20...

I'd wonder what the 16.50 is like lately..?

its the chaos at the exit thats the real problem. when people are climbing under barriers and forcing their way into the exit. Reserved seats shouldnt have to be forced this way and either should 1st plus so why can't an area be separated for them and then organise the rest into an proper system that allows an orderly exit to the train.

my 2c worth...

that aside they 15.20 is extremely busy today looks like people standing!!
Unread 10-12-2009, 15:10   #12
tigger1962

dark haired girl today for the 15.20, orderly Q!!
Unread 14-12-2009, 15:11   #13
tigger1962

Another day, another freeforall there was an attempt at a q. But when people started bypassing seated ppl, everyone moved forward. Even with someone stating 179 seats on train and would be loads seats, ppl still moved forward.
Unread 22-02-2010, 15:01   #14
tigger1962

Irish rail are having another attempt at qeueing for the enterprise!!
Unread 04-03-2010, 15:02   #15
tigger1962

Looks like new area has developed s leak! Half area blocked off