Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Kerry
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 15-01-2009, 11:38   #1
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Default New trains finally arrive

Looks like today is the day the direct services to Tralee go over to the new trains, been a few false alarms but looks like it will be tonight

Half of the local Tralee-Mallow services switched over Christmas

Should do wonders for punctuality but will it have enough seats, the 7:15 from Tralee is notorious for overcrowding
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-01-2009, 12:09   #2
sublimity
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Looks like today is the day the direct services to Tralee go over to the new trains, been a few false alarms but looks like it will be tonight

Half of the local Tralee-Mallow services switched over Christmas

Should do wonders for punctuality but will it have enough seats, the 7:15 from Tralee is notorious for overcrowding
Surely they have to increase it to 2 direct services to Tralee weekdays with First Class on both for the new timetable?

I take it the 7:15 from Tralee will be the full 6 coach 22k, Yes?
sublimity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-01-2009, 12:13   #3
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Full 6 coach with full dining catering, breakfast and dinner

A second direct service is needed. There is more than enough business, remember no matter which way Irish Rail try to cover the current mess, they are lost only 1% passengers last year but intercity numbers are significantly up and thats where the really money is made, a intercity passenger is worth between 10 and 20 times a commuter on the balance sheet
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-01-2009, 16:43   #4
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

Imagine what could be done if instead of subsidising a competing air service at 2.5m euro per annum that IE got the same additional subsidy to further ramp up and improve the speed of rail service...

What would 2.5m a year get if it was just spent on the Kerry line?
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-01-2009, 03:17   #5
Jferb

Well they're really shooting themselves in the foot messing with the 8pm from Dublin, making the journey 20 minutes longer with a 30 minute wait in Mallow! I've been boycotting it since Christmas, unfortunately having to resort to the 22:05 (subsidised!) Ryanair service instead when I can't make the 18:30 service.

We had 2 direct services each way before the new Cork trains were introduced and it's no more than to be expected that that situation be restored, but with the current economic situation I fear pigs may fly before any additional Intercity services are introduced on any line.

With regards to the new trains, I must say I'm sorely disappointed with the seats, just can't seem to get comfortable on them! The Mark 3's will be greatly missed in that regard! The sockets under every table are spot-on though!

Thank god the era of locos being left running all night in Casement Station appears to be at an end. . .
Jferb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-01-2009, 03:24   #6
Jferb

I notice the 7.15 Tralee-Heuston and 18:30 Heuston-Tralee are currently unbookable on the website, I presume this is due to the switchover and hope it's promply resolved..
Jferb is offline   Reply With Quote