Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Gorey-Arklow-Wicklow Line
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 22-01-2010, 21:48   #41
donncha
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushed2nowhere View Post
I saw this in this week’s edition of the Wicklow Times (a free weekly) - 31/10/07:
Bringing the former station in Avoca back into its former role would not be a good idea, as there is no parking available near the former station.

There is a second solution under discussion though, to get a commuter station (with adequate parking and a shop) implemented in Avoca. The big question is, how many people are there who would be motivated to use the station?

I do realise that it's quite a long drive into Dublin, I did it myself many a day.
I would have preferred to relax in a train rather than sit in heavy traffic, generating greenhouse gases and upsetting the balance of payments by burning expensive imported petrol, not to mention wear and tear on the car.

If there are enough people who are seriously interested, I believe that the second solution might get adopted sooner rather than later, but we need to understand how many seriously motivated commuters are out there, otherwise it will be hard to show IE and the Dept. of Transport that there is a need to make this happen.

Let me know if you are concerned by this, or if you know anyone else who is. Perhaps we should get a group organised on Facebook? Suggestions and comments welcome.

Donncha
donncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-01-2010, 18:53   #42
Traincustomer

Default Reopening potential for Avoca station

Please see new thread of this title.

Last edited by Traincustomer : 23-01-2010 at 19:01. Reason: moved to new thread
Traincustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-01-2010, 21:05   #43
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

People here are rightly complaining about the pedestrian speeds. Unless Avoca has a catchment of 3k forget it, it would add another 3-4 minutes onto an already slow journey.

Its dead in the water as the full cost will be borne by someone other than Irish Rail, e.g. Wicklow CC who have no money

Any further discussion of infrastructural related matters in the appropriate forum http://www.railusers.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2014, 15:36   #44
donncha
New to the board

Default Avoca station catchment area

Hello,

They say there would be in excess of 3000 people in the Avoca catchment area. The village itself would be two thousand, and then you have Redcross, Woodenbridge and Aughrim, not to mention Clash and a host of other fine places. A lot of locals have been calling out for trains to stop there once more, and hundreds commute to Dublin daily from Avoca.
I couldn't locate the infrastructure thread, has that been removed from the site?
donncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2014, 14:01   #45
Traincustomer

Perhaps there is scope for a feeder bus from Avoca and surrounds connecting into a commuter train at Rathdrum in the morning and returning in the evening.

In the future there will be competing demands for station reopenings - for example there is a renewed effort/campaign in recent months to reopen in Dunleer, Co. Louth.

At the moment there doesn't seem to be any money and IÉ's financial and overall situation appears perilous.

Some efforts don't "bear fruit" for decades so persevere and don't give up :-)
Traincustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2014, 14:58   #46
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

donncha - it may be that you aren't a member yet and thus you can't see the forum in question

Given that <6 car trains are on this line since all doors must meet the ~130m platforms, is there much spare capacity on the Wicklow trains at present to accommodate even a few bus loads a day at Rathdrum, or is this going to cause angst in Wicklow or Kilcoole?
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote