Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > DART
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-03-2007, 18:04   #21
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

touche TJS.

To be fair I couldn't see a prosecution against someone for using their mobile phone on a train holding up. or for using a walkman.
Colm Donoghue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-11-2007, 19:27   #22
Kat
New to the board

There has been an increase in busking on the darts no matter what time of the day you are on it. Last week i was going into town from Dun Laoghaire at lunch time and there was two non irish busking. I actually felt very intimated by them, as they were very pushy looking for money and with no security around, i got very frightened and got off at the next stop and waited for the next dart into town.
Can IE not do something about them.
Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-11-2007, 19:39   #23
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Tell the driver, he or she will either stop and wait for the Gardai or arrange to have them meet the train at the next main station. Its easy blame Irish Rail but if you don't report it on the spot there is nothing that can be done

It is an offense to beg, busk etc anywhere on the railway
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-11-2007, 20:03   #24
Kat
New to the board

Hi Mark. There is no IE officals on the train to report it and how can you report it to the driver when you don't see him and to be honest after along day work and commute the last thing you want to be doing us waiting around for the gardai to come and deal with them.
Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-11-2007, 20:17   #25
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The train has a driver and in my experience if you report something they will take very quick action. Simply march up to the front of the train and you will find the driver

Sadly in some cases this will result in a delay to the train, but that sends a message that anti-social and other illegal activaties will not be tolerated which creates an image of a safe public transport system

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 16-11-2007 at 20:22.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-11-2007, 21:48   #26
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Bang on Mark. No-one should be frightened on any public service as this will not be tolerated. The train driver will be very quick in reacting to this matter.
KSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-08-2008, 13:42   #27
ThomasJ

Quote:
23. (1) No person while upon the railway or in any vehicle shall to the annoyance of any other person or if requested not to do so by an authorised person, sing, perform on any musical or other instrument or use any gramophone, record player, tape recorder or portable wireless or television apparatus.
Just got a glimpse on the statute book and some of the guidelines it doesn't really concern present times does it? do you know of someone who owns a gramophone or carrys around a record player, tape recorder?
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-08-2008, 16:59   #28
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

I own two tape players, but no, I don't carry them around.

The objective was to prevent rules lawyering.
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31-08-2008, 22:10   #29
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Thanks to bloody IE I cant play my Cole Porter 33's anymore as the needle keeps skipping due to the fecking bumpy track

after all that time i spent in that swiss deportment school with those nubile teenage girls learning how to balance the record player on my lap and all.

i shall be sending them my invoice
Unread 31-08-2008, 22:41   #30
weehamster

Yo Yo Yo! Dis goes out to all my Brothers & Sisters on d DART crew. Respect to d R.U.I. posse - WORD

Unread 02-01-2009, 20:57   #31
Alan French

Busking is another of those issues where total bans can be over the top, and total permission can be disastrous too. I remember someone trying to argue that it was an issue of freedom of speech, and I thought: he's not helping his cause. Busking has legitimacy only insofar as it adds atmosphere to a place; it cannot be a right. Which points back to a licensing system, as some countries have.

I think some buskers I have seen on the DART are Hungarian gipsies. In Hungary there is more of a tradition of gipsy musicians playing in all sorts of places (e.g. restuarants), and expected to be paid by the listeners, unlike here where they would be paid by the owner of the place.
Alan French is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-11-2009, 05:42   #32
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Default Busking on the Dart

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...258921057.html
Quote:
Busking on the Dart

Madam, – The Dart boasts it has installed closed circuit TV for the protection and safety of its passengers. Yet, this does not appear to function, as begging on the Dart goes on every day with impunity.

This begging is accomplished by two individuals at a time, one plays “music” on an accordion, the other tries to collect from each passenger who is forced to listen to this “music”, which few wish to hear.

This begging and busking on the Dart should be nipped in the bud. I use the Dart daily and have seldom seen an inspector. The Dart can well afford to recruit a security team to police it from unauthorised begging and busking and any other undesirable traits. The passengers are entitled to no less. – Yours, etc,

MICHEÁL Ó NUALLÁIN,

Monkstown,

Co Dublin.
Unread 16-11-2009, 11:48   #33
drumcondra commuter

Oh please. It's called public transport for a reason you know.
drumcondra commuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-11-2009, 12:49   #34
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Anyone who has a problem with people playing music or asking for money on trains or at stations should report it to the driver or to the booking clerk at any station. Both are against the CIÉ bylaws. I've done so on several occasions and the offenders were removed from CIÉ property fairly sharpish.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-11-2009, 14:46   #35
Trampas
Really Regular Poster

I was on a dart recently with the above going on.

Security came up from carriage behind but by the time security entered the carriage the 2 people sat down and security just walked by them and stopped.

The people playing the music got off at the next stop

Nothing was said to them.
Trampas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-11-2009, 15:59   #36
ThomasJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trampas View Post
I was on a dart recently with the above going on.

Security came up from carriage behind but by the time security entered the carriage the 2 people sat down and security just walked by them and stopped.

The people playing the music got off at the next stop

Nothing was said to them.
i used to See that quiet alot when i used to get the dart in the morning. Same carry on.

Funny enough there is another older thread http://www.railusers.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=2102 goes by the exact same name. With an interesting question raised as to if should be allowed compared to other countries

Last edited by ThomasJ : 16-11-2009 at 16:04.
Unread 16-11-2009, 16:19   #37
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm Donoghue View Post
23. (1) No person while upon the railway or in any vehicle shall to the annoyance of any other person or if requested not to do so by an authorised person, sing, perform on any musical or other instrument or use any gramophone, record player, tape recorder or portable wireless or television apparatus.

Does this mean if someone's on their phone, and it causes me "annoyance" then the other person is breaking the law? it's wireless and it's portable.
No, a mobile phone isn't on that list of things that they're not allowed to use. A "portable wireless" is a radio.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-11-2009, 16:37   #38
ThomasJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Ralph View Post
No, a mobile phone isn't on that list of things that they're not allowed to use. A "portable wireless" is a radio.
i would have thought that too myself with regards to the radio. I do remember an irish rail ad at stations a while back [might still be there ] asking people to respect other passengers by keeping the volume down. Had an annoying experience of dance music on full volume on speakers a couple of weeks ago on a train. Gave me a headache !
Unread 06-01-2010, 17:20   #39
ThomasJ

I know its not directly not related to the thread but seen as though its one of the rules mentioned above.

I noticed that there is an increasingly number of beggars in the main station in connolly.

Its starting to get annoying as they are coming up to you every day. I have had the same guy come up to me every day. I have given him four or five euro but he kept on saying to me can you go to the atm and take out more when i told him i had no other change.

When i said no yesterday he gave me a bit of grief but went away. I have seen him every day for the last week , at different times uses
the same excuse that he has just got off the boat and offer change for petrol for the car or the bus fare .

Last edited by ThomasJ : 07-01-2010 at 16:52.
Unread 07-01-2010, 16:48   #40
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasJ View Post

Its starting to get annoying as they are seen in here nearly every day!
that's a terrible way to describe the denizens of the members section.

there are of course "quiet zones" on intercity trains, which of course is either a wonderful invention or an admission that the existing bye-laws are not going to be enforced on the rest of the train, depending on how cynical one is.

anyway, bonus points to the man who wrote that letter about the accordion playing by our friends from the east. it is well known that as well as water boarding the CIA would sometimes go to such extreme measures as bringing in such people into the interrogation rooms for the extraction of information from hardened terrorists. If that failed they would then resort to Country and Irish