Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > DART
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-03-2007, 17:39   #1
ThomasJ

Default Busking on the dart

I was on a peak hour dart north bound and there was a guy busking on the train. He seems to be doing it quite often. What is irish rails position on busking. Is it within their rule book?
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2007, 18:22   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Its against the rules

Section 23 SI 109 1984

Quote:
23. (1) No person while upon the railway or in any vehicle shall to the annoyance of any other person or if requested not to do so by an authorised person, sing, perform on any musical or other instrument or use any gramophone, record player, tape recorder or portable wireless or television apparatus.
(2) No person while upon the railway or in any vehicle shall, except by permission of an authorised person display or exhibit any printed, written or pictorial matter or any article for the purpose of advertising or publicity, or distribute any book, leaflet or other printed matter or any sample or other article;
(3) No person shall—
( a ) sell or expose or offer for sale or cause or permit to be sold or exposed or offered for sale any article or goods whatsoever; or
( b ) tout, ply for, or solicit or cause or permit touting or plying for or soliciting alms, reward or custom or employment of any description.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2007, 19:04   #3
Oisin88

I like the clause in 23 (1) above where it says "to the annoyance of"
I was on the DART last week and a few kids had some sort of death metal or something playing. I was thinking to myself that if it was boyzone or shelflife I would tell them to turn it off, but I was quite enjoying the metal.
Oisin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2007, 19:34   #4
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

In Toronto buskers on 25 of the TTC subway/bus station platforms audition for their spots - the spots cost $150 (100 Euro) to the successful recipients. The auditions are open to the public and have run for about 25 years.
http://www.theex.com/whatson.php?menu=01:12
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2007, 20:40   #5
Oisin88

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowlingm View Post
In Toronto buskers on 25 of the TTC subway/bus station platforms audition for their spots - the spots cost $150 (100 Euro) to the successful recipients. The auditions are open to the public and have run for about 25 years.
That would be brilliant. I think in this country we seem to forbid everything e.g. no football on the streets, no drinking on the boardwalk, no music on the DART, instead of dealing with things in a more rational manner.
Oisin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2007, 23:15   #6
Derek Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowlingm View Post
I have to say that is the way to do it. But Celtic Tiger Ireland likes to forget its human side.
Derek Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2007, 09:57   #7
2Funki4Wheelz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Wheeler View Post
I have to say that is the way to do it. But Celtic Tiger Ireland likes to forget its human side.
The
"I can't give change to a busker, I need it for my double moccachino expresso skinny latte overpriced coffee when I get off...and anyway the racket they're making is interfering with my video iPod"
Unread 16-11-2007, 19:27   #8
Kat
New to the board

There has been an increase in busking on the darts no matter what time of the day you are on it. Last week i was going into town from Dun Laoghaire at lunch time and there was two non irish busking. I actually felt very intimated by them, as they were very pushy looking for money and with no security around, i got very frightened and got off at the next stop and waited for the next dart into town.
Can IE not do something about them.
Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-11-2007, 19:39   #9
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Tell the driver, he or she will either stop and wait for the Gardai or arrange to have them meet the train at the next main station. Its easy blame Irish Rail but if you don't report it on the spot there is nothing that can be done

It is an offense to beg, busk etc anywhere on the railway
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-11-2009, 05:42   #10
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Default Busking on the Dart

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...258921057.html
Quote:
Busking on the Dart

Madam, – The Dart boasts it has installed closed circuit TV for the protection and safety of its passengers. Yet, this does not appear to function, as begging on the Dart goes on every day with impunity.

This begging is accomplished by two individuals at a time, one plays “music” on an accordion, the other tries to collect from each passenger who is forced to listen to this “music”, which few wish to hear.

This begging and busking on the Dart should be nipped in the bud. I use the Dart daily and have seldom seen an inspector. The Dart can well afford to recruit a security team to police it from unauthorised begging and busking and any other undesirable traits. The passengers are entitled to no less. – Yours, etc,

MICHEÁL Ó NUALLÁIN,

Monkstown,

Co Dublin.
Unread 16-11-2009, 11:48   #11
drumcondra commuter

Oh please. It's called public transport for a reason you know.
drumcondra commuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-11-2009, 12:49   #12
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Anyone who has a problem with people playing music or asking for money on trains or at stations should report it to the driver or to the booking clerk at any station. Both are against the CIÉ bylaws. I've done so on several occasions and the offenders were removed from CIÉ property fairly sharpish.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-11-2009, 14:46   #13
Trampas
Really Regular Poster

I was on a dart recently with the above going on.

Security came up from carriage behind but by the time security entered the carriage the 2 people sat down and security just walked by them and stopped.

The people playing the music got off at the next stop

Nothing was said to them.
Trampas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-11-2009, 15:59   #14
ThomasJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trampas View Post
I was on a dart recently with the above going on.

Security came up from carriage behind but by the time security entered the carriage the 2 people sat down and security just walked by them and stopped.

The people playing the music got off at the next stop

Nothing was said to them.
i used to See that quiet alot when i used to get the dart in the morning. Same carry on.

Funny enough there is another older thread http://www.railusers.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=2102 goes by the exact same name. With an interesting question raised as to if should be allowed compared to other countries

Last edited by ThomasJ : 16-11-2009 at 16:04.
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote