Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Belfast
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 29-01-2014, 18:42   #1
RPI

Default Cross-border refunds

I have just received a refund from Irish Rail relating to an absolutely miserable journey I had on the Enterprise service on January 16.

Basically, my service to Belfast was delayed by 70 minutes due to a signalling failure while my return was delayed by 80 minutes after the locomotive decided to pack up.

My question relates primarily to the calculation of the refund. How much should I receive? The travel vouchers I have obtained from Irish Rail only total less than 27% of my original return fare. That doesn't seem right. Anyone know what it should be?
RPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-01-2014, 20:20   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Per the charter should be 50% of the value of a single ticket for each delay of more than 60 minutes. So on a return ticket half the face value for the described situation.

You can play an alternative and legally enforceable route

Under EU regulation EC1371/2007 you are legally entitled to 25% refund for 60 minutes or more and payable in cash.

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 29-01-2014 at 20:24.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-01-2014, 21:13   #3
RPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Per the charter should be 50% of the value of a single ticket for each delay of more than 60 minutes. So on a return ticket half the face value for the described situation.
So for a €29 ticket, I should be entitled to around €14.50 as both legs were affected by delays of more than 60 minutes. So who do I raise it with?
Unread 30-01-2014, 20:02   #4
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The vouchers should have come with a cover letter. Contact details and a reference number should be on that.

If no joy email us with the reference number from the letter and we can escalate this issue for you.

We have asked over and over again for a new refund form as the current one makes no sense at all.
Unread 31-01-2014, 12:00   #5
RPI

I have contacted them. I must add that I found it extremely difficult to find the refund form - I was unusually determined because of the farcical nature of my trip on that day.

Isn't there some form of legal requirement to make things easier to find?
Unread 31-01-2014, 14:08   #6
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Failure to comply with EC1371/2007 has been raised with Irish Rail and if not resolved we will seek legal action via the NTA
Unread 01-02-2014, 16:47   #7
RPI

Information on the Belfast line is a real problem in general.

None of the NIR network bar Newry, Portadown, Lisburn and Belfast Central is incorporated into the Irish Rail journey planner. The Translink journey planner has a similar blind spot for the Irish Rail network.

The Irish Rail website contains no fares information for journey combinations involving connections e.g. Dundalk to Derry. The generally cheaper straight-through fares aren't available from TVMs but only at booking offices [when they are open].

You can also tell when you are on an Irish Rail Enterprise by the complete failure to provide information regarding connections on either side of the border.

Last edited by RPI : 01-02-2014 at 16:54.
Unread 02-02-2014, 16:11   #8
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

There is a licensing issue blocking the loading of the Northern Irish timetable into Irish Rail's system.

The TVM's at Enterprise stations until Dec 2013 offered tickets to all NI destinations, this is no longer the case. Particularly at weekends two tickets would be massively cheaper that a through ticket.
Unread 03-02-2014, 08:56   #9
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

The NTA's journey planner www.a-b.ie has all timetables loaded.
Unread 03-02-2014, 10:08   #10
RPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm Moore View Post
The NTA's journey planner www.a-b.ie has all timetables loaded.
It has a really odd bug with regard to public transport in Belfast for certain journey combinations e.g. Balbriggan to Portrush.

The sequence involved is:
1. Get off Enterprise at Central
2. Walk to Europa Bus Centre
3. Get bus to Wellington Place
4. Walk to Central
5. Get the train to Portrush

The correct answer is to wait at Central for the train.
Unread 03-02-2014, 10:17   #11
RPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
The TVM's at Enterprise stations until Dec 2013 offered tickets to all NI destinations, this is no longer the case. Particularly at weekends two tickets would be massively cheaper that a through ticket.
In my experience, that isn't generally the case because through tickets are calculated as Enterprise plus an arbitrary supplement, rather than on distance.

Take a journey from Drogheda to Coleraine. A Drogheda to Belfast Day return is around €29. An NIR return from Belfast to Coleraine is £17.50. A through ticket is, from memory, about €34.

The only day when I can think of when two tickets would be cheaper than one might be on Sundays, when NIR sell £7 day ramblers for all journeys over that value, but I think even then you'd have to be travelling to Derry to get the full benefit.

It's worth adding that another issue with using two tickets is that NIR do not issue open returns.

Last edited by RPI : 03-02-2014 at 10:20.
Unread 03-02-2014, 13:25   #12
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI View Post
It has a really odd bug with regard to public transport in Belfast for certain journey combinations e.g. Balbriggan to Portrush.

The sequence involved is:
1. Get off Enterprise at Central
2. Walk to Europa Bus Centre
3. Get bus to Wellington Place
4. Walk to Central
5. Get the train to Portrush

The correct answer is to wait at Central for the train.
Reported. I imagine it is at least down to NIR and Irish Rail having separate entries for Belfast Central.
Unread 05-02-2014, 16:54   #13
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI View Post
In my experience, that isn't generally the case because through tickets are calculated as Enterprise plus an arbitrary supplement, rather than on distance.

Take a journey from Drogheda to Coleraine. A Drogheda to Belfast Day return is around €29. An NIR return from Belfast to Coleraine is £17.50. A through ticket is, from memory, about €34.

The only day when I can think of when two tickets would be cheaper than one might be on Sundays, when NIR sell £7 day ramblers for all journeys over that value, but I think even then you'd have to be travelling to Derry to get the full benefit.

It's worth adding that another issue with using two tickets is that NIR do not issue open returns.
You need to look at splitting at Newry.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2014, 18:06   #14
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Exactly, then the do a the Sunday rambler ticket