Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > DART
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 09-05-2007, 09:13   #1
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

Default How much will I get?

As part of the new greedy capitalist Ireland and as not a resident of the leafy suburbs of the environs of Landsdown road stadium but a resident who got no compo when the CLG re-built Croker, I see the DART line will be closed for two bank holiday weekends.
The aforementioned residents are to receive 120grand each in order for the Corpo to transfer land not owned by the residents to the irfu.

The paying customers of IE haven't been mentioned as to how much they will be compensated for the loss of service for these two weekends. I wonder how much IE are going to get and how much IE will pass on to their suffering customers.....
Colm Donoghue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2007, 09:47   #2
Brian Condron

What you will get is a world class national stadium that is easily accessible by public transport. Very fair in my opinion!
Brian Condron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2007, 09:59   #3
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Whats different here is Irish Rail are getting cash from the developer

Shouldn't passengers with monthly and annual tickets as such get a refund or discount while they suffer? There is nothing worse than sitting on a bus crawling through Balsbridge on a summers day
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2007, 10:30   #4
Brian Condron

I'm sure that if you took all the money that Irish Rail get for closing the line, and split it evenly amongst all the weekly, monthly and annual ticket holders that there would be very little per person.What percentage of those ticket holders wold actually use the DART on a typical bank holiday weekend? I think that at some stage people have to step back and think of the greater good, we are all going to benefit from the stadium, so putting up with taking a bus instead of a DART shouldn't be much of an inconvenience.

However a case could be made that the money received due to the Lansdowne development should be ploughed back into the station upkeep etc. Get the money to benefit the areas inconvenienced.
Unread 09-05-2007, 11:07   #5
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Condron View Post
What you will get is a world class national stadium that is easily accessible by public transport. Very fair in my opinion!
I thought I had my tongue in my cheek but yeah a national stadium that has only one railway line and can't fit a football or hurling pitch....

anyhoo national stadia are for boxing...

on the subject of IE getting cash,
When the weekend DART closures were ongoing, my annual rail ticket covered me for Dublin Bus at the weekends. Will IE do something similar or will customers be left trying to get by on their own?

I now have a rail/bus ticket so the lure of dublin bus routes is not as great as it was.
Unread 09-05-2007, 11:15   #6
markpb

Quote:
What percentage of those ticket holders wold actually use the DART on a typical bank holiday weekend? I think that at some stage people have to step back and think of the greater good, we are all going to benefit from the stadium, so putting up with taking a bus instead of a DART shouldn't be much of an inconvenience.
I lived beside Lansdowne Road during the last set of weekend dart closures and I was incredibly inconvenienced. It's not (all) about traffic, the buses serving that area are very unreliable inbound, travelling as they do from the outer regions of the city. It's not as bad now with the 4 but lots of people will be stuck.

I've yet to see a city where public transport is treated as poor cousin to everything else. 1916 Memorial - no buses on O'Connell St. Water works in Ballymun - close the bus lane. Pavement works in Drumcondra - close the bus lane so cars aren't slowed down. PDs pre-election stunt - park their truck in the bus terminus on Merrion Square. Just once, could we please put public transport first instead of last?
markpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2007, 11:23   #7
Brian Condron

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpb View Post
Just once, could we please put public transport first instead of last?
Fire ahead with putting public transport first just once, just not with Lansdowne Road There are very few things that are higher in the pecking order than good public transport in my opinion, however rugby is one of them!

Maybe Irish Rail should use the money they get for closures to buy a giant box of Cadburys roses, and distribute them to everyone who shows up for a DART. That way, while you may be annoyed that the DART is closed, at least you get a few sweets to cheer you up
Unread 09-05-2007, 11:24   #8
markpb

Quote:
Maybe Irish Rail should use the money they get for closures to buy a giant box of Cadburys roses, and distribute them to everyone who shows up for a DART. That way, while you may be annoyed that the DART is closed, at least you get a few sweets to cheer you up
I'm sold
Unread 09-05-2007, 17:40   #9
Oisin88

Quote:
Best idea yet!
Unread 09-05-2007, 18:51   #10
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

Were there line closures when Croker was rebuilt?

As for compo from CLG - if they can expect the State to pay their players you can hardly expect them to give residents compo!
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2007, 20:06   #11
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

The midlands line was built over by the Canal End. There were no passenger services running on it then.
(I think either IE or CIE got a big corporate box for rent of air rights and sold it and got a small corporate box in Croker.)

GAA and the GPA are looking for high performance sports grants that are awarded to athletes in other sports who subject themselves to out of competition drug testing just like football and hurling players do but are ineligible for these grants at the minute.
The irish govt give these grants to other amateur athletes i.e.boxers as well as professional sportspeople i.e Sonia O Sullivanwho has got paid in bars of gold from the IAAF as well as cash.

The irish govt also allows up to 60000 euros tax break per annumto professional athletes, so it's not as if the GPA and GAA are looking for even close to this.

Anyhoo this is all off topic, I'll ask lrsdc and IE about it and get back.
My point about Residents around Croke Park not getting compensated was more to do with them not being money grabbing rich people, supported primarily by those fine members of the Labour party who sideline as property valuers.
Unread 10-05-2007, 01:18   #12
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Two points

Is there enough space being allowed for the railway to be raised eventually (in the next say 100 years)?

Part of the problem with Lansdowne Road is that it will be fully enclosed on three sides, substantially overbearing the houses north of it. The same doesn't happen with Croke Park.
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2007, 15:18   #13
byrneeo
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmd View Post
As part of the new greedy capitalist Ireland and as not a resident of the leafy suburbs of the environs of Landsdown road stadium but a resident who got no compo when the CLG re-built Croker, I see the DART line will be closed for two bank holiday weekends.
The aforementioned residents are to receive 120grand each in order for the Corpo to transfer land not owned by the residents to the irfu.

The paying customers of IE haven't been mentioned as to how much they will be compensated for the loss of service for these two weekends. I wonder how much IE are going to get and how much IE will pass on to their suffering customers.....

Only two weekends? Is that definitely enough to get that rickety old west stand down? What about all the asbestos?
byrneeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2007, 15:21   #14
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

The asbestos gets taken off before demolition. same on the old Hogan stand. It's just unscrewed off the roof and loaded on a lorry.
Unread 10-05-2007, 17:31   #15
al2637

Quote:
It's going to be far too small IMHO.

Also, will IE continue to close Landsdowne Road and GCD on match days...
al2637 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2007, 19:32   #16
byrneeo
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by al2637 View Post
It's going to be far too small IMHO.

well for soccer fans, 55,000 is a fair bit more than the old 36,000 for competitive games (it held circa 49,000 if terracing was allowed).

Also, LR station isn't usually closed on match days (at least not for soccer, i've never been to a rugger game there) although GCD is usually closed from about an hour after the start of the game to two hours after the end (i presume to avoid overcrowding on north bound darts and filling on south bound ones, thus removing capacity for those at LR where the main crowd control issues arise). On a side note, is there going to be platforms under the stadium in the new one? Would that not make a smidgin of sense? I thought they would have done that at croker on the midland line, although of course any match specials there from down the country would have required reversing and whatnot at phibsboro if they came through the tunnel.
byrneeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2007, 19:43   #17
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

This situation is different since there is no obligation on Irish Rail to close to line, the developers have to pay Irish Rail hard currency to cover for the loss, thus it is not unreasonable that Irish Rail spread a portion of this cash out to the effected passengers

The problem with Lansdowne is the level crossing, the design of the new stadium will permit the crossing to be closed throughout any event as pedestrian access will be maintained. This means the end to the massive delays of the past while thousands filed over the crossing delaying trains

The new west stand will no longer be over the DART line which will make life much simpler in the future
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2007, 08:36   #18
markpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by al2637 View Post
Now that there are quite a few people living around GCD, I hope they stop that policy of closing the station. It's not like before where the place was a graveyard after 6pm.