Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 27-09-2019, 11:02   #1
James Shields

Default Alternative "Metro Dublin" Proposal

I recently came across an alternative Metro Dublin plan, that was relaunched earlier this year, but similar to previous proposals floated based on the Madrid Metro.

In Contrast with MetroLink, it proposes to use 1600mm gauge track, and use a mix of new and upgraded track, but claims will all be separate from Irish Rail InterCity routes.

It proposes 46km of new underground rail, 18km of new surface line, and 29km of upgrades to existing track. It's a little unclear whether the existing lines would be exclusively for Metro or shared with Irish Rail commuter routes.

The suggested cost is €9 billion, which certainly seems better value then the MetroLink plan, especially as it wouldn't be paid for by the state. Would it attract investors?

It got a little bit of cover by media including the Irish Examiner (https://amp.irishexaminer.com/breaki...s-910484.html), but doesn't seem have been picked up by the more mainstream media, and unless I missed it, nobody posted here.

Their website (https://www.metrodublin.ie/) is a little hard to follow, but I've unpicked the following 6 lines:

Line 1 - City Loop - underground Circle Line route similar to Interconnector connected to PPT.
Line 2 - Northern Line to Cabra Road - includes Airport stop.
Line 3 - Adamstown to Phibsboro via PPT.
Line 4 - Blanchardstown to Docklands via Phibsboro.
Line 5 - Glasnevin to Ashbourne - mostly following the N2/M2.
Line 6 - Rathfarnham to City Centre to Howth Junction.

I find one or two route choices a bit odd. It's not clear whether Line 2, 3 and 5 would terminate when they meet the City Loop or continue around it to a more sensible terminus. There would be some logic in having all of the routes do a full loop of the circle to provide a very high frequency on that line, but would that limit the capicity of the radial routes?

Also, I would question whether the Adamstown line should connect to the northern half of the City Loop rather than the southern half, Interconnector style.

However, I applaud them for proposing a Metro network, rather than a single line that connects to the wrong rail station, stops on the wrong side of Stephen's Green to connect with Luas, and terminates in a daft place for no good reason.

I would be interested in a discussion on their proposal, and whether it's a viable solution, and whether their proposed funding model would attract investors.
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote