Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-10-2015, 09:35   #1
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Exclamation Enforcement of Bikes on Trains Rules

As of Monday Oct 19th there will be a zero tolerance policy to the carriage of bikes on trains at peak hours

No bikes before 09:30 or between 16:00 and 19:00 Mon-Fri

Only bikes which are placed in the bike rack or the luggage van will be carried.

There is no change in policy, these have been the rules for many years. There have been numerous complaints from passengers of bikes blocking doors and thus obstructing access to the train and creating a safety risk.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2015, 11:32   #2
grainne whale
Really Regular Poster

And about time too, some times you cannot get on/off a train with some bikes blocking the doors during peak times. Actually even with bikes in the racks those bikes with wide handlebars pose a danger - they are at eye level - who is is liable in case of injury - by the way
grainne whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2015, 13:56   #3
James Howard
Really Really Regluar Poster

Well in Ireland, the person liable is usually the one with the deepest pockets, so I'd guess Irish Rail. Myself, I have eyes so I'd be able to see the bike as I go past and avoid getting the handlebars in the eye.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2015, 14:36   #4
grainne whale
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Howard View Post
Well in Ireland, the person liable is usually the one with the deepest pockets, so I'd guess Irish Rail. Myself, I have eyes so I'd be able to see the bike as I go past and avoid getting the handlebars in the eye.
'eat a lot of carrots - do you
grainne whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2015, 14:32   #5
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Its something we have raised several times, the safety aspect was a source of serious concern and this was delaying trains as people had to climb over abandoned bikes.

The bike rack was designed in response to complaints by RUI and others but we did not have input in the design, we simply were shown the completed item.

To be completely clear all of us here at Rail Users Ireland support carrying bikes on trains but we are realistic as to the rush hour situation. Taking out more seats isn't going to work.
Unread 14-10-2015, 15:10   #6
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Its something we have raised several times, the safety aspect was a source of serious concern and this was delaying trains as people had to climb over abandoned bikes.

The bike rack was designed in response to complaints by RUI and others but we did not have input in the design, we simply were shown the completed item.

To be completely clear all of us here at Rail Users Ireland support carrying bikes on trains but we are realistic as to the rush hour situation. Taking out more seats isn't going to work.

yeah well i'm still waiting for the motorbike rack i suggested at the time to be implemented.
Unread 19-10-2015, 11:19   #7
James Shields

I've occasionally carried bikes on the 7:22 from Drogheda, which is operated by a 22K Intercity DMU. I asked staff at the station beforehand, and they said no problem, as it's an Intercity train. The only difficulty is that you never know which end of the train the bike rack will be at (it's normally a pair of 3-car sets, so there could be one at each end, two in the middle, or one at the end and one at the middle), so if I guess wrong I have to run for the correct location.

I tried the same on the 16:44 from Pearse, but staff there told me that although it was an Intercity train, it was a commuter service, so bikes are not allowed.

James
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-10-2015, 12:51   #8
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The Connolly side is an issue alright.

We do need a very clear indication of the bike rack location on the coach side