Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Waterford
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 20-09-2010, 14:54   #1
pixiebean22
Regular Poster

Default Waterford-Dublin commute

I am starting a month long (hopefully no longer than that) Waterford to Dublin commute on the 4th of October. I have gotten ticket prices (€154-weekly/€559-monthly, for anyone whose interested) but I'm just wondering am I able to buy my ticket at either Hueston or Waterford and if I was to buy my ticket at Waterford station, when is the ticket office actually open? I only ask this because anytime I have travelled from Waterford to Dublin (which is fairly regularly) I have never seen the ticket office open and I assume that I wouldn't be able to buy this type of ticket from the ticket machines.

Also, will my weekly/monthly ticket be valid if say I wanted to travel to a stop along the route? For example, if I wanted to travel from Waterford to Kilkenny and back will my ticket be valid? I hope so for the amount it's costing

Thanks for any replies.
pixiebean22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20-09-2010, 15:03   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The booking office in Waterford should be open at least 30 minutes before scheduled departure of the train

Tickets may be bought in advance

You might want to look at the 4 day trekker ticket for 100 euro, valid any train for any 4 day period. You will need a CIE ID card for a weekly or monthly ticket. These are valid from Sunday-Saturday/ 1st of month only

Ticket is valid Waterford - Heuston and all journeys within

Given Irish Rail aggressive online discounts you might be able to travel for less if you book online ahead of time
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20-09-2010, 15:25   #3
pixiebean22
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
The booking office in Waterford should be open at least 30 minutes before scheduled departure of the train

Tickets may be bought in advance

You might want to look at the 4 day trekker ticket for 100 euro, valid any train for any 4 day period. You will need a CIE ID card for a weekly or monthly ticket. These are valid from Sunday-Saturday/ 1st of month only

Ticket is valid Waterford - Heuston and all journeys within

Given Irish Rail aggressive online discounts you might be able to travel for less if you book online ahead of time
Ah but Mark it never is. I frequently travel on a variety of different services between Waterford and Dublin so I would be in the station at different times and days and I have yet to see that ticket office open.

Where can I get a CIE ID card and is there a charge for this?

"Ticket is valid Waterford - Heuston and all journeys within" - that's something at least!

It makes more sense and is more convenient for me to just get a monthly ticket as it's very likely I'll be travelling at weekends too.

Thanks for your help.
Unread 20-09-2010, 15:48   #4
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Any train Dublin-Waterford should be able to take 3 bikes + any number of folding bikes (as luggage, they are expected to be covered).

Where the train is made up of a two 3x22000 sets, it should be able to take six. However, some sets have been found to be without racks, so they are only able to take one (in the cupboard - you'll need a staff member to open it, make sure you have enough time when getting off).

Waterford-Limerick Junction trains can carry some bikes, I'm not sure how many.

There are no reservations for bikes yet, but it is expected.

Fares: http://www.irishrail.ie/your_journey/bicycle_information.asp
Unread 20-09-2010, 15:59   #5
pixiebean22
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm Moore View Post
Any train Dublin-Waterford should be able to take 3 bikes + any number of folding bikes (as luggage, they are expected to be covered).

Where the train is made up of a two 3x22000 sets, it should be able to take six. However, some sets have been found to be without racks, so they are only able to take one (in the cupboard - you'll need a staff member to open it, make sure you have enough time when getting off).

Waterford-Limerick Junction trains can carry some bikes, I'm not sure how many.

There are no reservations for bikes yet, but it is expected.

Fares: http://www.irishrail.ie/your_journey...nformation.asp
Thanks Colm, had actually found information on this somewhere else on this website so that's why I deleted post. Is it true so if I show up of a morning and another person is there with a bike I can be refused? (some sets have been found to be without racks, so they are only able to take one)

To be honest I would gladly pay a token fare (say an extra €2-€5) if it meant I was guaranteed a space for my bike or if they allowed me to bring my dog on the train.

Also, do you know where i can apply for the IE rail card, does this need to be done far in advance and is there a charge for the card? Thanks.
Unread 20-09-2010, 16:21   #6
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiebean22 View Post
Thanks Colm, had actually found information on this somewhere else on this website so that's why I deleted post. Is it true so if I show up of a morning and another person is there with a bike I can be refused? (some sets have been found to be without racks, so they are only able to take one)
Unfortunately, yes, this can be the situaton.

Quote:
To be honest I would gladly pay a token fare (say an extra €2-€5) if it meant I was guaranteed a space for my bike or if they allowed me to bring my dog on the train.
Well, hopefull thats coming soon.

You can bring a dog, but there are rules for that also.

Quote:
Also, do you know where i can apply for the IE rail card, does this need to be done far in advance and is there a charge for the card? Thanks.
Is this the student travel card? I imagine they are geared up for it, but there will be 100,000 applications this month, although many will be done in colleges. http://www.studenttravelcard.ie/

Or do you mean a Railcard - http://www.irishrail.ie/images/pdfs/RAILCARD_APP_Form.pdf - it seems the same people process them.

Last edited by Colm Moore : 20-09-2010 at 16:33.
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote