Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Drogheda-Balbriggan-Skerries-Donabate Line
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 25-08-2009, 11:06   #41
irishsaint
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Safety rules prohibit the use of the 29k fleet into Northern Ireland, they lack UK cab signaling equipment, only a small fleet of locomotives and 6 of NIR 3Ck's carry both Irish and UK cab signaling equipment.

We have suggested to Irish Rail to either borrow the NIR gatwick set or to reinstate a set of Mk3 coaches lying in Dundalk to service and borrow locomotive 112 from NIR
well thats that then, stuck with the old "reliable" enterprise. Friday and Monday now, the 7:31 enterprise from drogheda to belfast has left late. I believe its new time is 7:45 departure, friday it left at about 9:20 and yesterday it left drogheda at 8:40, infact, it had not even arrived from belfast before it was even due to depart drogheda!!
irishsaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-08-2009, 12:31   #42
chris
Regular Poster

Well NIR can definitely afford to spare one of the sets allowed to operate cross-border or the Gatwick set. They recently cut some peak services on the Portadown line.

Were the safety rules UK-wide or imposed by the NI Parliament? Is there any chance N Ireland could get a derogation?
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-08-2009, 12:36   #43
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

They are UK wide and where in-acted separately for NI
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-08-2009, 13:21   #44
irishsaint
Regular Poster

anyone know how the enterprise has been doing today? is it keeping reasonable departure times from drogheda?
Unread 25-08-2009, 13:56   #45
Aphfaneire
Regular Poster

The 6.20 101 from Drogheda to Dublin was a double decker this morning.

It wasn't needed.

The Balbriggan Passengers must have all switched to the new direct buses.

So this means they not taking up excessive space, but Drogheda bound buses had added capacity that was not needed.

But it's Bus Eireann so it won't last long since spill over will all switch to the Train replacement buses over the next few weeks.

Either way the situation is pretty bad.

In 5 weeks time i'll have to be in James's Hospital for 7am or so. This will probably mean a 5am 100x or something like that. I haven't looked at the schedual yet but i'll actively check all my options and possibly do a test run or two to figure out how to get there...
Unread 25-08-2009, 14:08   #46
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishsaint View Post
anyone know how the enterprise has been doing today? is it keeping reasonable departure times from drogheda?
We have member on the 3pm bus out of Connolly for the 15:20 Enterprise, he has mobile boardband so expecting word soon!
Unread 25-08-2009, 14:23   #47
tigger1962

I presume the member he talking about is me ok I arrived for the 15.00 bus and was told to board a second bus as first one was drogheda only. This was not the case yesterday. I was told this one left at 15.20. it left on schedule. Now lets hope enterprise doesn't leave at 16.15 as it did yesterday!!
tigger1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-08-2009, 15:20   #48
tigger1962

the bus arrived at 16.00 at Drogheda depot. The incoming Enterprise from Belfast arrived at 16.03 with the announcement that it was out of service and not to board the train - i overheard the bus drivers saying that they were due to head back to Dublin at 16.00 so presumably it was a few minutes late? ... Unlike yesterday it did not leave at 16.15. an announcement just made stated that we are waiting on another bus.. later than 15.20 from connolly???? and we are waiting for it to arrive, so they are holding back the enterprise for passengers.
Unread 25-08-2009, 15:22   #49
irishsaint
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger1962 View Post
I presume the member he talking about is me ok I arrived for the 15.00 bus and was told to board a second bus as first one was drogheda only. This was not the case yesterday. I was told this one left at 15.20. it left on schedule. Now lets hope enterprise doesn't leave at 16.15 as it did yesterday!!
thats not encouraging... i assume all busses are drogheda only?

as for the enterprise, let us know how you get on, im aiming to get the 7 again (20:00 from drogheda according to irish rail) so will keep you posted on that but so far its been at least 40mins late departing.
Unread 25-08-2009, 15:27   #50
tigger1962

ok scheduled departure 16.20... actual departure 16.26

didn't actually see anyone board and i was beside the drogheda exits
Unread 25-08-2009, 15:30   #51
tigger1962

i was told the timetable was for commuters only that the enterprise buses were seperate.. strange that they wouldn't let me board that bus especially as i'm a commuter... maybe i'm just too intimidating!
Unread 25-08-2009, 15:37   #52
Aphfaneire
Regular Poster

The 16.20 101 to drogheda is NOT taking the port tunnel like yesterday and is crawling up the drumcondra road, just fueling the traffic further. skipping straight to the airport should be better than adding to an awful clog on a tiny road
Unread 25-08-2009, 15:42   #53
irishsaint
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger1962 View Post
ok scheduled departure 16.20... actual departure 16.26

didn't actually see anyone board and i was beside the drogheda exits
well thats not too bad, 6 minutes behind the new schedule (thats about what, 45mins or so slower than had it left connolly). Well, let us know of any mechanical issues now that you are on it... it wouldnt be like it to make it to central without something going wrong...

Does any one know what the normal refuelling arrangements were for the enterprise - it never had a scheduled refuelling in drogheda to my knowledge and I have never seen it being refuelled in connolly.

also, how logistical would it be to actually transfer the other enterprise sets by road north of malahide?
Unread 25-08-2009, 15:44   #54
RHanaway
New to the board

Default Drumcondra

Surely the later buses must be going via the port tunnel. IE probably think that the traffic will be light enough for the Drumcondra road and may be trying to save some money. Earlier today they brought us through the M1 toll and the port tunnel.
RHanaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-08-2009, 15:53   #55
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishsaint View Post
Does any one know what the normal refuelling arrangements were for the enterprise - it never had a scheduled refuelling in drogheda to my knowledge and I have never seen it being refuelled in connolly.

also, how logistical would it be to actually transfer the other enterprise sets by road north of malahide?
Normally fueled in Dublin at the platform, Drogheda isn't set up for this so the detour is required since the locomotive is on the wrong end so to say

The 3rd enterprise set is stored in Inchicore in Dublin. Logistically it would be a challenge to move all 8 coaches and the locomotive but possible. Irish Rail by chance have 2 intercity sets stored in Dundalk which could be put to work
Unread 25-08-2009, 15:55   #56
ThomasJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHanaway View Post
Surely the later buses must be going via the port tunnel. IE probably think that the traffic will be light enough for the Drumcondra road and may be trying to save some money. Earlier today they brought us through the M1 toll and the port tunnel.
that 101 aphfaneire is referring to going via drumcondra is a bus eireann bus (if im not mistaken) nothing to do with IE, it doesnt look like bus eireann is working in conjunction with ie. the service via drumcondra could be a scheduled service, scheduled to take in stops through that route.
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-08-2009, 16:31   #57
finnyus

Quote:
The 3rd enterprise set is stored in Inchicore in Dublin. Logistically it would be a challenge to move all 8 coaches and the locomotive but possible. Irish Rail by chance have 2 intercity sets stored in Dundalk which could be put to work
With the problems the Enterprise coaches have fequently, plus the locos that operate with them, it would be better to use the InterCity stock stored in Drogheda - that way the locos would not need to supply power to the coaches! Is there much rolling stock stored North of Malahide? Can IE cope with an Enterprise failure?
finnyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-08-2009, 17:43   #58
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHanaway View Post
How are they going to save money, buses go free through the port tunnel.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-08-2009, 17:46   #59
Aphfaneire
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasJ View Post
that 101 aphfaneire is referring to going via drumcondra is a bus eireann bus (if im not mistaken) nothing to do with IE, it doesnt look like bus eireann is working in conjunction with ie. the service via drumcondra could be a scheduled service, scheduled to take in stops through that route.
IT is a Bus eireann route. The bus at that time yesterday however took liberty and went via the Tunnel and used the M1 for several stretches.

He was basically a chartered coach who just went straight to the airport, then switched driver's there and kept taking short cuts. It wasn't even a B.E owned bus yesterday.

Today however it went the full route, and took nearly 30 minutes longer. Exact time's i'm not sure of as i don't really care yet, but it will matter if i have to rely on it.

Next week i should be taking the IE provided coaches with any luck.
Unread 25-08-2009, 20:59   #60
Charlie Hungerford
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
We have suggested to Irish Rail to either borrow the NIR gatwick set or to reinstate a set of Mk3 coaches lying in Dundalk to service and borrow locomotive 112 from NIR
To be honest, reinstating a MK3 set would be far better for both NIR and Irish Rail than using the Gatwicks.

For a start, NIR have just converted their gatwick set for PP operation, which means that they are probably planning to put it to more intensive commuter use in the near future.

A MK3 set would have more carriages and would be comfortable for passengers, especially if there is a Citygold coach in Dundalk - which means they'll be able to preserve some semblance for first-class service. There may even be a catering coach - which the Gatwicks would lack.

I think that you really need to push for a MK3 reinstatement - regardless of IE management's well-established preference for shoving Enterprise passengers in the relatively poor quality Gatwick set when they have better alternatives available.
Charlie Hungerford is offline   Reply With Quote