Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 15-03-2017, 10:20   #1
James Shields

Default Sunday Service on St Patrick's Day

It may be a holiday, but I suspect it's one when a lot of people are travelling to parades and festivals, and many still have to work. Irish Rail have posters up encouraging people to use the train to get to St Patrick's day events.

And yet they operate a Sunday service on this day?

There isn't a train that will get me to Dublin before 9am (and only one that gets me there before 10am because the Enterprise is still operating a weekday service).

Surely it would make sense to operate at least a Saturday timetable?

James
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-03-2017, 11:04   #2
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster

Demand is low until lather in the day and they are running a lot of additional services over the weekend.

Drogheda-Dublin 08.05-08.59
Drogheda-Dublin 08.22-09.00 (ex Belfast)
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20-03-2017, 11:50   #3
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

bad as the train is, the fact that dublin bus uses a sunday service is a joke. my childhood is jam packed with memories of having to walk to the terminus to get a 36 bus into the parade, and the chaos in getting on the bus would be full at the terminus. the same with the old 13 and any other bus.

wonder if it is the same now?
Unread 21-03-2017, 23:26   #4
Underground
New to the board

Maynooth line: last train home before 9pm, like every Sunday. Enjoy yourself but be quick!

Worst thing about St. Patrick's Day is we have two Sundays in one weekend.
Underground is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-03-2017, 19:00   #5
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas J Stamp View Post
bad as the train is, the fact that dublin bus uses a sunday service is a joke. my childhood is jam packed with memories of having to walk to the terminus to get a 36 bus into the parade, and the chaos in getting on the bus would be full at the terminus. the same with the old 13 and any other bus.

wonder if it is the same now?
Not quite true.

Dublin Bus operated a Sunday schedule but with untimetabled extras operating on all corridors, filling in the gaps when required to meet demand.

These operated before and after the parade.

From what I could see they worked very well with the buses coping with the demand.
berneyarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-03-2017, 07:45   #6
Inniskeen
Really Regular Poster

On the whole the arrangements on the Connolly side of the house worked reasonably well with DARTs busy but not under undue pressure. Regular Drogheda trains were heavily loaded with the near secret additional services lightly used. There were a good few DART specials but many of them were lighly loaded as they were too late to be of use to the majority of parade goers.

Of particular note were the miserable services from Rosslare and Sligo with the first trains arriving after 1200. In contrast on the Belfast line almost 1000 passengers had arrived on Enterprise and relief services by 1015.
Inniskeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-03-2017, 11:13   #7
Jamie2k9

Quote:
Of particular note were the miserable services from Rosslare and Sligo with the first trains arriving after 1200
You could argue the Sligo route has a poor service on a regular Saturday with the first train not arriving until 10.00, a time that's fine from Sligo but surly there is demand from Longford and inbound earlier with a lot of commuter traffic.

Comparing it to other routes:
Cork, 08.20, 09.30 (include Tralee)
Limerick, 08.55, 09.55
Galway, 08.41, 09.47
Waterford, 08.08, 09.01, 10,00
Gory, 08.47

You would expect Westport not to have earlier arrival as the 05.15 starts from Athlone at 07.00.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-03-2017, 13:54   #8
James Howard

I would probably take the family to Dublin from Longford a few times a year if there was an earlier train. There are quite a few things for kids that start around 10 on a Saturday that the first train is just too late for. I've made a couple of submissions to the NTA about this. They could even operate earlier morning services and later evening services with buses to see if there was demand but of course this is impossible.

There is a 4 car and an 8 car ICR parked up in Longford for most of the weekend - I think all they get used for is a student special from Carrick during the winter. So there are even trains in place to operate such a service.

People are always dismissive about the need for extra services on the Sligo line, but the reality is that it carries almost the same number of passengers as Belfast with considerably shorter hours of operation and much poorer on-board amenities.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-03-2017, 10:57   #9
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by berneyarms View Post
Not quite true.

Dublin Bus operated a Sunday schedule but with untimetabled extras operating on all corridors, filling in the gaps when required to meet demand.

These operated before and after the parade.

From what I could see they worked very well with the buses coping with the demand.
actually what i said was 100% true as that was how it was at the time. glad to hear they operate differently nowadays (which term can mean anything since the late 90's when I moved out of the city)
Unread 24-03-2017, 16:45   #10
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas J Stamp View Post
actually what i said was 100% true as that was how it was at the time. glad to hear they operate differently nowadays (which term can mean anything since the late 90's when I moved out of the city)
Well I was referring to your opening sentence, rather than contradicting your memories which I'm sure are indeed correct!! 😎
berneyarms is offline   Reply With Quote