Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > DART
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 09-03-2006, 09:21   #1
PaulM
Really Regular Poster

Default Carriage skips GCD

I was on the 18.20 from Blackrock yesterday, as we pulled into Grand Canal Dock, the DART didn't slow down properly. By the time we came to a complete stop, my carriage, the front one, and I would think the second one, had passed the platform. The train didn't reverse back and no announcement of why was made.

Once again top notch customer service from our excellent rail operator.
PaulM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2006, 09:27   #2
philip

Did the doors in your car open Paul? (You should make sure to report this, the driver might be dodgy)
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2006, 09:32   #3
Mark

Did people get out of your carriage?
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2006, 10:17   #4
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

I've got some further insight from Paul

It was the 17:59 Bray Malahide
It was a Japanese built train
The speed limit at this point is 25mph

The driver of an 8 coach train can't reverse at this point, a 6 coach can. Reversing a long train would change the signal at Lansdowne Rd back to red in the face of an oncoming train

I've seen this before but only under poor conditions, a little bit of rain. In two incidents I can recall the driver did leave the braking way too late. No PA on those occasions either and that was a 4 coach train

The anti lock brakes are plain strange its great to 10mph beyond there it takes an an age to slow

Yes the train has a black box. IE will deny this happened
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2006, 12:57   #5
philip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson
The driver of an 8 coach train can't reverse at this point, a 6 coach can. Reversing a long train would change the signal at Lansdowne Rd back to red in the face of an oncoming train
Would that not be safer than hitting the door unlock button with 2 cars beyond the platform and not even making a PA to move down the train?

Quote:
I've seen this before but only under poor conditions, a little bit of rain. In two incidents I can recall the driver did leave the braking way too late. No PA on those occasions either and that was a 4 coach train
And these guys were complaining about a new safety regime-no wonder!

Quote:
Yes the train has a black box. IE will deny this happened
Can the black box record exactly where the train stopped? Can IE delete what's on it? Do the IRSC have access to the black box like the CAA would with an aircraft incident?
Unread 09-03-2006, 13:26   #6
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

You can't set back generally without permission of the signaller, normal procedure is the call the signaller request permission, change ends move back then change again that proceedure is followed. You can't go back if there is a train behind (there is one timetabled 5 minutes behind which can be only 300m at time)

Due to the track layout at GCD setting back is tricky as the overlap beyond the signal before GCD is 20m up the platform so setting back would set the signal at Lansdowne Rd to red thus possibly causing a SPAD incident thus requiring the signaller to take control.

The black box records distance, acceleration, braking, postion of the controller handle, antilock brake state and the ATP state it also records the door interlock state so it would be possible to prove an overshoot and that the doors opened. ITs based on establishing a datum point eg Lansdowne Rd stop. The box has a limited storage capacity and unless we have the coach number we are stuffed.

Yes this is a breech of safety
The Railway Safety Commission

4th Floor
Trident House
Blackrock
Co. Dublin
Phone: +353 (0) 1 2068110
Fax: +353 (0) 1 2068115/116

And yes uinlike IE they will write back

If I was on board I would have got out (I know what I am doing) and took the photo and opted for the walk to Pearse. Evidence is key coach number train composition, opinion on approach speed

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 09-03-2006 at 13:29.
Unread 09-03-2006, 10:35   #7
PaulM
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip
Did the doors in your car open Paul? (You should make sure to report this, the driver might be dodgy)
No but I suspect I could have opened them, they made that beeping sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark
Did people get out of your carriage?
No but I reckon I could have.

It was odd because it didn't seem to be the drivers fault (I have had a driver skip a station once, my station) I could hear the breaks squeeking, the train just didn't stop on time. As we approached the station, it seemed normal, normal slowing, no loud bangs, it just took longer than normal to come to a complete stop.
PaulM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2006, 10:42   #8
Mark

Was there an 'L' sticker on the front window of the train?
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2006, 12:52   #9
philip

This is potentially very dangerous (obviously). Imagine some blind guy was alone in the car when that happened or a kid runs to the door and is too short to see out the window before pressing the button and stepping out into the abyss. Even a sighted adult could come a cropper at night with this carry on.

Can we contact the IRSC or whoever about this? It's an accident waiting to happen is this.
Unread 03-05-2006, 15:30   #10
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark
Was there an 'L' sticker on the front window of the train?
That was a funny remark until the unimaginable happened, I saw a DART doing a driver training run and in the back window, L plate no joking