Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > DART
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 04-04-2006, 16:50   #1
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Default [4-4-2006] Delays on DART and Northern Suburban

Due to a earlier overhead wire fault at Killester there are delays of 15-20mins approx.

Rush hour impact was minimal but the 17:36 Connolly Bray was cancelled and a number of 8 coach trains where only 6 coach long

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 04-04-2006 at 18:24.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2006, 08:17   #2
Rashers
Really Regular Poster

Default Complications

This caused delays from approx. 11.45am...
I think one of the radio stations said there was a signal failure mid morning
When I rang my local train station they advised the 12.47 ex Drogheda would be running on time. However, when we got to Raheny station the driver opened the doors. Every 5-10 minutes he announced we would be another 5 minutes. The announcements were made at a very low volume, and as the doors were open, the noise of the engines drowned out his voice.
We were there for about 30 mins, with everything backed up behind us.
When we arrived into Connolly @ 14.15 the platforms were pretty full.
There was a lot of confusion between the DARTs and suburban services being held, and the displays were out of sinc versuses what was on the platform.
I actually got a DART to Pearse, got off to collect something, but when I came back to Pearse @ 15.15, the displays on the platform (next southbound DART 25 mins) and those beside the ticket collectors (next southbound DART 5 mins), showed different information. As always the staff could not confirm when the next service would actually be running.
I gave up and went and got a taxi the rest of the way.
While delays occur, I am not sure if this was a treble wammy - i.e. mid morning failure, and then a later DART failure, plus problems with the overhead lines.....
Rashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2006, 08:25   #3
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

A DART unit sat down in Clontarf mid morning which caused trouble

If this was Belfast this would all be detailed on the translink website not IE though where everything is hidden
Unread 05-04-2006, 09:44   #4
philip

Default [4-4-2006] Delays on DART and Northern Suburban

Anyone know what happened there? There were serious delays to DART apparently. I was waiting for the 15.12 Pearse-Maynooth and the announcer apologised for the delays and said it was due to a "train failure at Clontarf Rd ad damage to the OHLE". Odldly, when I was coming into town on the 13.23 ex Clonsilla I saw (I think) 8233 and another LHB DART unit in platform 4 with 078 behind and a 29000 train behind it in the shed. Wonder was that something to do with it.
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2006, 09:57   #5
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Well it wasn't 8233 since it don't exist, 8x33 and 8x34 where in service yesterday evening and this morning and they where in excellent health

Sounds like a pantograph failure or something related, the key possibilty is a wiper blade failure, thats the shinny metal piece which contacts with the wire it is replaced quite frequently. Could also have been vandals who like to throw bike chains up on the wire which snag

The simplest thing is to drag the train out of the way, to get into Fairview is quite tricky, Connolly is much easier