Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Cork
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
Unread 20-07-2007, 21:05   #1
davekoolhill
New to the board

Default CityGold Catering - dinner service

i was recently on the cork train going citygold on the 18.30 service. there was only a trolley service. the timetable says only snack available. what time trains is the dinner service available on???
Unread 20-07-2007, 23:03   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

18:30 is not a citygold service (17:30 is) and its not charged the citygold supplement, its charged at normal first class price. Since no in seat service is advertised you can't claim a refund

Evening Dublin/Cork trains are meant to have a dinner service under the name 'the bistro' that only started in March since its run by a 3rd party there is no solid info on it. Certainly is offered on the 18:00 ex Dublin. All catering on the Cork train goes under the name 'the bistro' its on the breakfast menu as well

I haven't got the evening menu yet, have the morning one

Citygold services are
7:00, 8:00, 17:00 ex Dublin
6:30, 7:30, 17:30 ex Cork

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 20-07-2007 at 23:09. Reason: Add citygold times
Unread 20-07-2007, 23:48   #3
packetswitch

I posted the menu here at the start of the month, presume it's still in use: http://forum.platform11.org/showthread.php?t=2651
Unread 20-07-2007, 23:58   #4
Derek Wheeler

That menu reads like a load of over the top re-heated bull****. Ive spoken to people who had the bacon and cabbage. Awful! was the response. Slapped up with fancy ****e tray and cutlery. Food was airline standard on a plate. But we'll have to actually try it just to see for ourselves.
Unread 21-07-2007, 00:30   #5
packetswitch

Well, on that particular trip, I got the ham and cheese baguette (cause it's all they had), which I described as:

"delightful baguette jambon stringy et fromage chewy a la microwavey packet"

and given the cost of it, I wouldn't say it's an exception...
Unread 24-07-2007, 20:14   #6
MrX
Really Regular Poster

I don't know about bacon and cabbage anywhere, not quite my cup of tea. However, I had some kind of a chicken dish and it was pretty nice if not a bit over priced for what it was.

I really wasn't a big fan of the 1970s food served on the MK3 Cork service. Real heavy steak and chips stodgy stuff and the dining car always had an aroma of greasy spoon café about it.
Unread 24-07-2007, 22:07   #7
Derek Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX View Post
I don't know about bacon and cabbage anywhere, not quite my cup of tea. However, I had some kind of a chicken dish and it was pretty nice if not a bit over priced for what it was.

I really wasn't a big fan of the 1970s food served on the MK3 Cork service. Real heavy steak and chips stodgy stuff and the dining car always had an aroma of greasy spoon café about it.

Nice one.

Did the mixed grill on many a service from Galway in the early/mid 90s. Never got the greasy spoon wiff and the grub was always spot on the money with decent service and good presentation. Expensive to a point, but nothing like the Dick Turpin charges that apply now.
Unread 24-08-2007, 15:28   #8
Terrontress
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX View Post

I quite like greasy spoons. I reckon if something approaching a greasy spoon was on the trains it would be great.

Mugs of tea and tomato shaped ketchup dispensers!
Closed Thread