Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Mallow-Cork-Cobh/Midleton
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
Unread 30-07-2009, 21:02   #21
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Things where pretty mad in Midleton. But everyone was having a great time, free BBQ, live music and marquee with more 'refined' food

First train out was the one for the politicians which left Cork at 12:15 and departed Midleton heavily loaded at about 13:00.

The first official train left Cork at 13:20, 5 minutes late and got caught at the level crossing outside Kent station for another 5, arrived Midleton 13:46. 2 coach train no one left behind in Cork

The 13:45 didn't leave to 14:00 with a healthy load. The 14:15 was a 4 coach set, arrived more or less on time and departed full from Midleton at about 14:50. An extra unscheduled train left Cork at 14:45 and retuned from Midleton at 15:15

The 15:15 from Cork was running about 10 minutes late, which turned into a 20 minute delay on return to Cork.

The signalling between Cork and Glounthaune means there must be at least 10 minutes between trains which means serious delays grow quickly

Crowd control was non existent at 2pm but by 2:30pm things where under control with effective management of the disembarkation and embarkation process.

And yes they had Midleton displayed correctly as destination on the trains and even a Cork suburban rail map inside!
Unread 30-07-2009, 21:06   #22
Traincustomer

Default TV coverage of Midleton opening

TV3 news at 530pm and RTE1 at 900pm both covered Midleton this evening. The former report said the first train from Cork was at 1215pm - was this the one for the dignitaries? (ah I just read Mark's post after submitting this the first time -it was).

I thought both reports were balanced. TV3's had an interview with a former train driver and passengers of various ages. RTE's report really showed the crowds.

I daresay other tv news bulletins covered it; these were just the ones I viewed.

Last edited by Traincustomer : 30-07-2009 at 21:12. Reason: addition, in brackets
Unread 30-07-2009, 23:33   #23
on the move
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUMB LOCO
There are absolutely no safety problems on single lines and while they may limit capacity the cost of double tracking would not be justified and in many cases e.g. Bray Head, it is not practical.
Bray Head is a bit like the Boyne Viaduct, it must be single track, only the entrance and exit around the viaduct are double-track. For 95% of the single track lines in the country, double-track lines can be built. They can also increase the frequency of the routes. Maybe it will take a crash and lives lost, in order for the money to be spent.

That's the priority for IE, not building huge stations on the Kildare Route project that are designed for 10 times the capacity they currently have, and building 2 branch lines outside Inchicore that are never used.

Because of the single track on the new CART route, there can only be trains at the rate of one an hour. Double-track them, and you can have as many as you like.
Unread 31-07-2009, 07:18   #24
finnyus

Default Great start! (31.07.2009)

Great start to the service this morning!

The first scheduled (revenue) service on the Midleton line from Midleton was the 06:45 this morning. I left my car in Kent station yesterday before the 12:15 special yesterday. I decided to stay over night in Midleton at my parents house last night and get the 06:45 this morning. The station is only 10 minutes walk from my parents house.

Arrived 15 minutes early to find that the whole Midleton station was locked: locked gates to the car park and locked gates to the station.

6 cars (8 potential passengers) turned away as they could not park.

Another man turned up as well (just as the 06:15 from Cork arrived). He had walked from the north side of the station as that side was locked as well.

I rang Kent station (via 11811), no answer.

At 06:40, I said "fup this" and said to the man, look I need to be on that train to get to work, so we decided to run for it towards Mill Road level crossing. I knew that there was no train until that departure and I was wearing the biggest day-glow coat, so I walked up the side of the track from the level crossing (less that 100m). I said it to the driver and he phoned Kent (or Glounthaune).

Another passenger appeared on the scene then, he was just after jumping the tall fence surrounding the station, I honestly don't know how he didn't fall!

Ticket machines were not turned on, so we just boarded the train.

Madness!!! On the very first day of revenue traffic on the line! Loss of 8 potential passengers.

At Carrigtwohill, 1 passenger boarded the train.

At Glounthaune, 1 passenger boarded the train.

At Carrigtwohill, the passenger information display on the platform said we were stopping in a place called Glonne (I presume it is Glounthaune).

At Midleton station (when I eventually boarded the train) had all the stations in reverse: Little Island, Glounthaune, Carrigtwohill.

Was really grinds my gears after all that is that Noel Dempsey, TD made a big speech about making sure that the Midleton and District people use the services! No problem, just open the station so we can use the trains!!!!!!!!!!

On a lighter note, the opening day yesterday was enjoyed by a LOT of people! The last train service yesterday was still well filled by (free) passengers!

Finbarr.
Unread 31-07-2009, 07:28   #25
comcor
Really Regular Poster

Location: Cork-Dublin, Cork Commuter and occasionally DART and Dublin-Wexford

Quote:
Originally Posted by on the move View Post
Because of the single track on the new CART route, there can only be trains at the rate of one an hour. Double-track them, and you can have as many as you like.
That's just plain wrong.

There's double track to Glounethaune, with single track for the 10 km to Midleton with a passing loop in Carrigtwohill. Trains can run every 15 minutes with this arrangement.

So they can double even the rush hour frequency. Add to that the ability to put on longer trains and you can have up to 6 times start-up capacity.

Even if it was the wrong decision, it will be a long time before we find out.
Unread 31-07-2009, 08:02   #26
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnyus View Post
Great start to the service this morning!

The first scheduled (revenue) service on the Midleton line from Midleton was the 06:45 this morning. I left my car in Kent station yesterday before the 12:15 special yesterday. I decided to stay over night in Midleton at my parents house last night and get the 06:45 this morning. The station is only 10 minutes walk from my parents house.

Arrived 15 minutes early to find that the whole Midleton station was locked: locked gates to the car park and locked gates to the station.

6 cars (8 potential passengers) turned away as they could not park.

Another man turned up as well (just as the 06:15 from Cork arrived). He had walked from the north side of the station as that side was locked as well.

I rang Kent station (via 11811), no answer.

At 06:40, I said "fup this" and said to the man, look I need to be on that train to get to work, so we decided to run for it towards Mill Road level crossing. I knew that there was no train until that departure and I was wearing the biggest day-glow coat, so I walked up the side of the track from the level crossing (less that 100m). I said it to the driver and he phoned Kent (or Glounthaune).

Another passenger appeared on the scene then, he was just after jumping the tall fence surrounding the station, I honestly don't know how he didn't fall!

Ticket machines were not turned on, so we just boarded the train.

Madness!!! On the very first day of revenue traffic on the line! Loss of 8 potential passengers.

At Carrigtwohill, 1 passenger boarded the train.

At Glounthaune, 1 passenger boarded the train.

Was really grinds my gears after all that is that Noel Dempsey, TD made a big speech about making sure that the Midleton and District people use the services! No problem, just open the station so we can use the trains!!!!!!!!!!

Finbarr.
As I stated here ad nauseum, this is classic IE.

€75m to get the whole shebang up and running, a huge spread laid on for the minister and press and bang, on day 2, they can't even open up the station.

Who's responsible?

No one of course, this is shocking what you have described, I would be writing a letter to the Cork area manager, the CEO and lob in one to the Examiner too, there's absolutely no excuse for this crap.
Unread 31-07-2009, 08:05   #27
finnyus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hennessy View Post
As I stated here ad nauseum, this is classic IE.

€75m to get the whole shebang up and running, a huge spread laid on for the minister and press and bang, on day 2, they can't even open up the station.

Who's responsible?

No one of course, this is shocking what you have described, I would be writing a letter to the Cork area manager, the CEO and lob in one to the Examiner too, there's absolutely no excuse for this crap.
Hi Mark,

I am writing it at the moment! It was utter madness this morning!! Its almost unbelievable!

Priceless!!!!!

Finbarr.
Unread 31-07-2009, 09:21   #28
PLUMB LOCO
Regular Poster

Just emailed details to that plank - Pat Kenny - in case he has item on his Today programme. Don't hold your breath for Mr.Lightweight to talk about it as it is much easier to ramble on about 'NAMA' which nobody understands.
Unread 31-07-2009, 11:05   #29
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

You really got to love Irish Rail

Yesterday was almost perfect, everything worked. Extra trains put on to keep things moving. The destination displays read Midleton and they had new Cork suburban area maps fitted. Ok things got a little bit out of hand with the numbers but no one was complaining

But as always they get it 95% right and then make a mess of the situation. As soon as the cameras are gone its back to normal. It somewhat amazes me Irish Rail can't have some class of standard key for station side gates and so on issued to all staff so that in such circumstances a driver or conductor can solve the problem.

The TVM's where working yesterday I'm told
Unread 31-07-2009, 11:13   #30
finnyus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
The TVM's where working yesterday I'm told
Yeah, the TVM's were working yesterday. Some people printed Child single tickets as momentos yesterday.

The TVM's are only programmed for Midleton - Cork - Cobh. I did not check for Mallow. Any other part of the network is not possible.

I have my letters written, and will post them in about 30 minutes. Is there any point in ringing Kent station and asking if the station will be open for tomorrow's 06:45 to Cork?

Finbarr.
Unread 31-07-2009, 11:25   #31
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnyus View Post
Yeah, the TVM's were working yesterday. Some people printed Child single tickets as momentos yesterday.
The ones in Cork didn't have Midleton on them yesterday. Its station 068 if the booking clerks don't know it yet

Quote:
I have my letters written, and will post them in about 30 minutes. Is there any point in ringing Kent station and asking if the station will be open for tomorrow's 06:45 to Cork?

Finbarr.
Cork is 021-4557277. If they act the muppets ring 01 7034499 which is the office in charge in Dublin
Unread 31-07-2009, 20:55   #32
finnyus

I eventually got through to Kent station. The problem this morning was that the security firm that is responsible for opening up Midleton station in the mornings did not open the station this morning. I don't know if it was a case that the security firm did not know what time to open the station this morning, or if the security firm was just late coming to Midleton. Carrigtwohill station was open!

I will check tomorrow morning again as I will be getting the 0645 to Cork - hopefully with no adventures to get on to the platform !
Unread 02-08-2009, 16:36   #33
finnyus

Smile Update from Midleton (02.08.2009)

Hi all,

Just said I would give ye an update from a very wet Midleton.

I got the 16:45 from Midleton to Glounthaune today. I counted between 50-60 people leaving Midleton on it. 5 people got on in Carrigtwohill... not bad considering the weather in Midleton (and around Cork today!).

Few things to note:

- the ticket machine on platform 2 was closed (protection cover locked down)
- the ticket machine on platform 1 (main platform) was out of action - red screen stating that it was out of service
- the PIS on platform 1 showed only the current time, did not show the next train
- the automatic announcements seemed to tell us what the next train on platform 1 would be (16:38 to Midleton) but did not tell us what the next train would be (16:45 to Cork)

I presume there was a ticket checker at Cork station, like Friday morning, so the passengers might have had to get tickets there.

The train was a 4 carriage 2600, still with "Midleton / Mainistir na Corann" on the Midleton end of the train, and "Cork/Coraigh" on the Cork side of the train.

I am well impressed with the speed of the train and we reached Carrigtwohill and Glounthaune right on time.

I was looking at a timetable at Glounthaune station. It was amazing to see all the services for the station. It was combined for the Midleton and Cobh trains. Noticed as well that the timetable was for "Little Island" not "Glounthaune"!! IE could have laminated it as well... It was just a big A1/A2 sheet attached to the station wall... ink running on it due to the weather.

On a better note, IE have included a nice map as well at all stations showing the Cork Rail Map, with the number 5 feeder bus from Kent station to Rossa Avenue / CIT, via Patrick's Street, UCC, Bon Securs Hospital, IDA Park (Model Farm Road) and FAS. A nice bit of progress there I must admit!

IrishRail.ie have also updated there website
to include the bus substitution services on the Midleton branch alongside the ones on the Cobh line!

Fin.
Unread 03-08-2009, 18:05   #34
finnyus

Update from Midleton line:

17:15 to Midleton was extremely busy today. 4 carriage 2600 is still in operation today. The train was well packed all the ways to Midleton.

Hope this is a sign of things to come!!
Unread 03-08-2009, 18:21   #35
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

We are in the honeymoon period. October is the month to watch, kids back at school, 3rd level back and everyone back from holidays plus all the sad trainspotter types have visited to take photos. Then you get a true measure of success.
Unread 03-08-2009, 19:19   #36
finnyus

Quote:
sad trainspotter types
Were I do not agree about trainspotters, everyone has their interests, I do agree about the honeymoon period. Everything is shiny and new at the moment and everyone wants to see it & travel on it. IE would want to get the finger out now and fix the ticket machines in Midleton to start making revenue on the line! I cannot see it being fixed before tomorrow.

Does anyone know if the TVM's at other stations on the Cobh line allow customers to by tickets beyond Cork station? The Midleton TVM only allows customers to buy tickets to stations on the Cork - Cobh/Midleton lines?
Unread 03-08-2009, 19:43   #37
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The Midleton TVM is on the list of TVM problems

To be honest if I was in Midleton I would buy a ticket to Dublin, I'd buy online for the Cork Dublin section.

And yes someday in the very near future you will be able to collect a reservation in Midleton
Unread 03-08-2009, 20:30   #38
PLUMB LOCO
Regular Poster

Quote:
The Midleton TVM is on the list of TVM problems

To be honest if I was in Midleton I would buy a ticket to Dublin, I'd buy online for the Cork Dublin section.

And yes someday in the very near future you will be able to collect a reservation in Midleton
What about those who don't have online access? A proper ATVM or, better still, a manned booking office would be a better option. Wait until the vandalism, cider parties and muggings start. I would love to know how much cheaper it is for IE to employ a security firm to open and close the stations every day than to staff the stations? While they are at it why don' they sub out the train crew jobs to some Eastern European outfit and get out of rail operations completely?

Incidentally, the sad train spotters who you continually seek to belittle are fare paying passengers too and their colleagues in the RSPI etc do a better promotional job for the railways than CIE/IE, or for that matter Rail Users Ireland, do!
Unread 03-08-2009, 22:44   #39
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

It's not RUI's job to promote the railways
Unread 03-08-2009, 22:46   #40
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Not sure whether your question about subcontracting train operations to Eastern Europeans was rhetorical or not, but needless to say any mention of same would put all of CIÉ out on strike, therefore nit a workable option.
Closed Thread